Safely remove minor scratches?

Hey LTT Forums!

So, I have an Acer Predator XB271HU 1440p 144/165Hz IPS GSync monitor, and it has *one* wee little scratch near the center of the right third of the screen. It's not terrible, I rarely notice it, and it seems to be extremely shallow.  (Ignore the dust on the picture; I also need to clean it...) However, it would be really awesome if there were some way to safely get it to effectively disappear! I don't want to do anything that would risk damaging my monitor though. While I'm a pretty tech-enthusiastic consumer, my knowledge of hardware on that level isn't particularly extensive, and there have been a LOT of different display technologies over the years, some of which have had a reputation (whether true or not) for being particularly sensitive.

There are a few suggested solutions that come up with a simple Google search, but I wanted to make sure I'm in the green before I actually try anything! It's not exactly a cheap monitor... 

Thanks in advance!

20180613_200217.jpg

I can't say for sure this works, but try regular toothpaste. Squeeze some toothpaste onto a cotton swab or cloth and rub in circles until you see the scratch fade.

I may sound like a fool if this doesn't actually work but you miss 100% of the shots you don't take, worth a try!

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

26 minutes ago, Fortified Ookami said:

-SNIP-

16 minutes ago, MiNy said:

-SNIP-

You don't want to use abrasive or any polish it will destroy the matte anti-glare coating. There is no way to remove a scratch but only to hide it, you can try to fill the scratch using a light wax to make it less visible. 

@MiNy The toothpaste thing is one of the first solutions I saw when I Googled it! Putting toothpaste on my monitor just sounds scary... but maybe I'm just carrying over old fears from the days when people always said to never ever under any circumstances touch your TV/computer screen LOL

@W-L I figured that any possible solution would consist of either filling or buffing it; I hadn't considered the anti-glare coating though. Anything specific you would recommend?

Just now, Fortified Ookami said:

@MiNy The toothpaste thing is one of the first solutions I saw when I Googled it! Putting toothpaste on my monitor just sounds scary... but maybe I'm just carrying over old fears from the days when people always said to never ever under any circumstances touch your TV/computer screen LOL

@W-L I figured that any possible solution would consist of either filling or buffing it; I hadn't considered the anti-glare coating though. Anything specific you would recommend?

Carnauba wax for cars works alright, you just want to fill the scratch and take off the excess don't buff or polish it excessively because of the coating, matte finishes can't be repaired easily. Mind you this won't be a perfect solution but it will help hide the shadow of the line. 

On 6/13/2018 at 8:49 PM, W-L said:

Carnauba wax for cars works alright, you just want to fill the scratch and take off the excess don't buff or polish it excessively because of the coating, matte finishes can't be repaired easily. Mind you this won't be a perfect solution but it will help hide the shadow of the line. 

Whoops, thought I replied! My bad! Thanks for the help; I might give it a shot!

Or not, I might just deal with it rather than risk the finish. It's really not very often that I notice it.

1 hour ago, Fortified Ookami said:

Whoops, thought I replied! My bad! Thanks for the help; I might give it a shot!

Or not, I might just deal with it rather than risk the finish. It's really not very often that I notice it.

Give it a try it's pretty safe, good this with wax is if it doesn't turn out the way you like it you can take it off with just a little cleaner.

Vaselinee could also work, I remember there was an old ltt video about it or it was shown in a video with Luke. 

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K @4.9 GHz 6-Core Processor CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU CoolerMotherboard: MSI - Z370I GAMING PRO CARBON AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard Memory: PNY - Anarchy 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 @3000 MemoryStorage: 960 evo 500gbVideo Card:place holderCase: Phanteks - Enthoo EVOLV ITX TG (Black) Mini ITX Desktop Case Power Supply:SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 pwm 59.5 CFM  140mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Monitor: Dell - S2716DG 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor Mouse: Place holder Sony H.ear on Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphone, Charcoal Black (MDR100ABN/B)  LEOBOG K26 Wired RGB Mechanical Keyboard,Gaming Keyboard,RGB Color Backlight,104 Key,Anti-Ghosting For Full Key,Blue Switches,Aluminum Chassis,Detachable wrist rest,PC,Computer, Laptop,BLACK (Black)EZDIY-FAB Sleeved Cable - Cable extension for power supply with extra-sleeved 24 PIN 8PIN 6PIN 4+4 PIN With COMBS- Black Grey

pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/resdal42/saved/sCW6XL

• 6 months later...

Hey I had this issue as well just pop up. which method did you use? My scratch looks even less deep but still noticeable.

Dont use vaselinee, it stays 'wet' and thus will pick up dust like crazy. You will be constantly redoing it.

Some people in particularly bad cases remove the anti layer entirly, to remove the damage, though this can be a somwhat risky undertaking. But it does imo result in a betetr picture, the dark greys look closer to the intended black as the screen takes on a glass like shine. ofc you then also get much more reflection.

As mention by others, buffing it would result in a smooth spot insted of a scratch, and if ur not carfull u could rub throug hthe layer entirly results in a circle which the edges of the anti glare coating end and the panel underneath is directly visable. So i ouldnt risk it. Its doable, but nto owrth it imo.

Try the wax trick.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

• 2 years later...

Hi guys. Just scratched my Odessey G9, feels awful :'((( Any advice for similar screens?

The damage looks like hair on the screen, not too noticeable but still