Windows 10 fresh install error?

m1cr0l
Go to solution Solved by NelizMastr,

Never expect Windows to have all drivers built-in. It doesn't work that way. Download drivers from your manufacturer's website. What you appear to need is mostly the chipset drivers, ethernet drivers and probably video drivers as well. 

Hey guys, just built a new PC and had to install a copy of windows 10 via a usb flash drive but the install turned out with many missing drivers and such. Any ideas how I can solve this? 

I have already tried the following:

1. Reinstalling windows 10 (several times)

2. Reset this pc

3. Network Reset

4. Clear CMOS (Battery Method)

5. Installing the realtek drivers manually ( dwnld frm another pc )

6. Reinstalling the ISO on the flash drive

Much thanks guys!

Screenshot (1).png

Are you getting the Windows 10 files from Microsoft directly or somewhere else? Another thing could be trying to use a different flashdrive

Thermaltake Overseer RX-1
Intel i7-4930K
Asus RoG-Strix 1070ti A8G 
Asus P9X79 
Corsair Vengance 16GB DDR3 (4 x 4gb) RAM
Thermaltake Frio
Corsair HX750 
Samsung 860 Evo 500gb
Seagate Firecuda 2tb

2 minutes ago, Synedisis said:

Are you getting the Windows 10 files from Microsoft directly or somewhere else? Another thing could be trying to use a different flashdrive

Yep, I downloaded it off https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10, I'll try a different flashdrive rightnow and see how that works out, thanks!

Never expect Windows to have all drivers built-in. It doesn't work that way. Download drivers from your manufacturer's website. What you appear to need is mostly the chipset drivers, ethernet drivers and probably video drivers as well. 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

First of all, don't sue "reset this PC" always do a clean install and delete all partitions.

Second, you have to leave windows running for line an hour right after installing, and click "check for updates" in the settings.

It should detect everything necessary and install the drivers.

Then you restart, check again because there will be more drivers, and isntall those and restart.

You shouldn't need to download anything from the motherboard website, unless your internet doesn't work after clean installing, in which case you can't check for updates.

Then you do need to get the LAN driver from the motherboard website, install those, and then check for updates once you're connected to the internet.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 hour ago, NelizMastr said:

OMG this worked... I totally forgot about the motherboard CD *facepalm*. Thanks dude!!!!

40 minutes ago, Enderman said:

First of all, don't sue "reset this PC" always do a clean install and delete all partitions.

Second, you have to leave windows running for line an hour right after installing, and click "check for updates" in the settings.

It should detect everything necessary and install the drivers.

Then you restart, check again because there will be more drivers, and isntall those and restart.

You shouldn't need to download anything from the motherboard website, unless your internet doesn't work after clean installing, in which case you can't check for updates.

Then you do need to get the LAN driver from the motherboard website, install those, and then check for updates once you're connected to the internet.

I couldn't connect to the internet after installing windows ( missing network drivers ) hence the problem. However, the user above has helped me in solving the problem already. Thanks for the tip!

6 minutes ago, Trollolololol said:

I couldn't connect to the internet after installing windows ( missing network drivers ) hence the problem. However, the user above has helped me in solving the problem already. Thanks for the tip!

Ok great, but don't download everything, just the LAN driver, and let windows do the rest of the stuff automatically.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

17 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Ok great, but don't download everything, just the LAN driver, and let windows do the rest of the stuff automatically.

Whether that's a good idea depends greatly on the hardware. On older hardware (Haswell/FX and older) yes, let Windows do it. But for current gen, I'd rather use drivers supplied by the manufacturer as they're usually better up to date and have more features.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

45 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Whether that's a good idea depends greatly on the hardware. On older hardware (Haswell/FX and older) yes, let Windows do it. But for current gen, I'd rather use drivers supplied by the manufacturer as they're usually better up to date and have more features.

Maybe for ryzen...

Not for intel though.

If you've ever downloaded drivers from the motherboard manufacturer, you will find that the ones included when the motherboard were made are often still the same ones on the website years later. They get updated very rarely. When they do get updated it's just bug fixes, not any features. It's literally just a LAN driver or audio driver, there are no "features" to add, it's just supposed to work. Windows installs the latest ones they have on their database which is the one that is tested and known to work, not some beta drivers or whatever.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Windows installs the latest ones they have on their database which is the one that is tested and known to work, not some beta drivers or whatever.

If only that bold part was true. There have been plenty of problems caused by Windows forcefully updating device drivers that caused BSODs and black screens on startup ;) 

Microsoft really doesn't do much testing anymore for Windows 10, that department was mostly disbanded. It's up to the user to determine stability and they'll patch their errors afterwards. 

2 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

If only that bold part was true. There have been plenty of problems caused by Windows forcefully updating device drivers that caused BSODs and black screens on startup ;) 

Microsoft really doesn't do much testing anymore for Windows 10, that department was mostly disbanded. It's up to the user to determine stability and they'll patch their errors afterwards. 

The motherboard manufacturer should have tested them, maybe you just had a cheap motherboard.

Also it's impossible to test the trillions of combinations of software and drivers that were previously on a computer.

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Enderman said:

The motherboard manufacturer should have tested them, maybe you just had a cheap motherboard.

It's not like the motherboard manufacturer sends out the update to MS and then MS pushes them out. More often than not they push a generic stable driver provided by for instance Realtek, but every so often a botched Nvidia or AMD driver makes its way into the update stream causing havoc to those that don't keep their stuff updated. 

6 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Also it's impossible to test the trillions of combinations of software and drivers that were previously on a computer.

Not saying it isn't impossible. It's just not something that should have their priority. I'd say leave the drivers to the manufacturers and let Microsoft only push driver updates when there are known problems with previous versions. Making Windows as stable as they can should be the main focus, and that's not currently the case.

It's not like by downloading the drivers from the website you're going to know if any issues will arise.

If an update has issues with software or drivers already on the computer it will have problems regardless whether you or windows installs it.

And yes there have been dozens of topics on this forum of people going on the motherboard's web page, downloading drivers, and installing them after windows had already installed everything necessary (and was working properly) and after they manually installed drivers everything got screwed up.

This is why I do not recommend anyone downloads drivers from the website UNLESS windows cannot get you the basic, default barebones drivers which pretty much always work.

Spoiler