cpu "bottleneck"?

I recently upgraded to a 1060 3gb and started to notice random dips in my fps, i play at 1080p, i have a 3470s boosted @ 3.8-4Ghz, 16GB of 1600 ddr3 ram, and a z68 mobo (if that matters)

i was thinking to upgrade to an 2600k for $100

18 minutes ago, mr anderson said:

I recently upgraded to a 1060 3gb and started to notice random dips in my fps, i play at 1080p, i have a 3470s boosted @ 3.8-4Ghz, 16GB of 1600 ddr3 ram, and a z68 mobo (if that matters)

i was thinking to upgrade to an 2600k for $100

How would you get an i7 2600K "upgrade" for $100? How'd you end up with an i5S? Is it an OEM system?

Your i5 should still be good for 60hz gaming at least, but I would have highly suggested a 1060 6GB in any event...

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Just now, Streetguru said:

How would you get an i7 2600K "upgrade" for $100? How'd you end up with an i5S? Is it an OEM system?

Your i5 should still be good for 60hz gaming at least, but I would have highly suggested a 1060 6GB in any event...

ebay, i got the cpu/ram/mobo from work they gave them away, and the 1060 3gb is fine for 1080p , i will be upgrading later to new system anyways.

i usually get 80-100 fps in most games: BF4 ,GTA V , ect. andi have the monitor to support 144hz , so i should buy a 2600k off ebay?

4 minutes ago, mr anderson said:

ebay, i got the cpu/ram/mobo from work they gave them away, and the 1060 3gb is fine for 1080p , i will be upgrading later to new system anyways.

i usually get 80-100 fps in most games: BF4 ,GTA V , ect. andi have the monitor to support 144hz , so i should buy a 2600k off ebay?

OEM meaning dell/HP, sometimes they have locked down BIOS for hardware changes.

A 2600K is still alright, but I wouldn't exactly suggest spending any real money on one.

Probably just worth saving up the $300 for a modern platform, an R5 1600 + ASrock Pro4 + fast memory. Or an i7 8700/K if you want like the best 144hz gaming.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Probably just worth saving up the $300 for a modern platform, an R5 1600 + ASrock Pro4 + fast memory.

$300?... i cant find any where near that for a mobo cpu ram combo especially with ram prices, 16gb costs nearly $200

1 minute ago, mr anderson said:

$300?... i cant find any where near that for a mobo cpu ram combo especially with ram prices, 16gb costs nearly $200

You'd be on 8GBs for DDR4 systems.

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

You'd be on 8GBs for DDR4 systems.

but still why r5 1600 if r5 2600 is the same price, idk man i think the 2600k is the best for the state the market is in

i could be wrong?

Get an i7 4770k if you're gonna buy used. It outperforms the snot out of a 2600k.

Getting a used chip and board will cost you around $300ish and your RAM will be compatible. 

4 minutes ago, Mio85 said:

Get an i7 4770k if you're gonna buy used. It outperforms the snot out of a 2600k.

Getting a used chip and board will cost you around $300ish and your RAM will be compatible. 

wrong socket , 1155 the highest is a 3770k

the 3770k isn't even worth the $100 extra, its only marginally better

i already have mobo and 16gb of ddr3 ram

8 minutes ago, mr anderson said:

but still why r5 1600 if r5 2600 is the same price, idk man i think the 2600k is the best for the state the market is in

i could be wrong?

Thought the R5 1600 was $20 cheaper, or it can be found used for under $150 maybe.

But ya R5 2600 if you wanted new on AM4.

Spoiler

Just now, mr anderson said:

wrong socket , 1155 the highest is a 3770k

That's why I'm saying you should also get a compatible motherboard.

Just now, Mio85 said:

That's kind of a decent amount of cash to only upgrade to a dead platform with a 4 core/8 thread CPU.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Mio85 said:

at that point , its just a waste of money when i can basically buy a new system for $500 vs just a $100 upgrade that will save my system for a bit

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

That's kind of a decent amount of cash to only upgrade to a dead platform with a 4 core/8 thread CPU.

In which he can re-use his RAM. 
I personally wouldn't do such a thing, I'm just offering a possible upgrade for his budget.
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-4770K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-2600/1537vs3955

Also in gaming (especially with an overclock) it will get a similar performance to a R5 Ryzen.

1 minute ago, mr anderson said:

at that point , its just a waste of money when i can basically buy a new system for $500 vs just a $100 upgrade that will save my system for a bit

Yeah, I would personally just suggest saving money for a newer platform.

1 minute ago, Mio85 said:

In which he can re-use his RAM. 
I personally wouldn't do such a thing, I'm just offering a possible upgrade for his budget.
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-4770K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-2600/1537vs3955

Also in gaming (especially with an overclock) it will get a similar performance to a R5 Ryzen.

well compare the 4770k to the 2600k, they aren't far off either, i have a z68 chip-set too so i can do a decent overclock

But anyways I think I have made my mind up to just upgrade to the 2600k for the time being and maybe hold out to the new r5 3600 when they come out and maybe a new gpu as well, heck at that time ddr5 might come out

thank you for the support :D

2 minutes ago, mr anderson said:

well compare the 4770k to the 2600k, they aren't far off either, i have a z68 chip-set too so i can do a decent overclock

If you can overclock, and you can find a 2600k for less than $100, then it will be a decent deal. Just know that within the next few years the older i7 chips might start struggling as games are starting to use more and more cores.

2 minutes ago, mr anderson said:

But anyways I think I have made my mind up to just upgrade to the 2600k for the time being and maybe hold out to the new r5 3600 when they come out and maybe a new gpu as well, heck at that time ddr5 might come out

thank you for the support :D

I'd check your motherboard VRM before you try any heavy overclock, but it's overall not going to be too much of an upgrade, maybe shop for an i7 3xxx

Spoiler

Just now, Streetguru said:

I'd check your motherboard VRM before you try any heavy overclock, but it's overall not going to be too much of an upgrade, maybe shop for an i7 3xxx

yeah you might be right, i might just hold out and save up, its probably not even worth the upgrade. thank you for the help

4 minutes ago, mr anderson said:

remember the 8threads though

The i7 holds up better than the i5 from that era for sure, but a modern platform is going to do a lot more for you at 144hz.

Spoiler

i call bullshit on all revisit videos posted, not a single frametime analysis. I upgraded from a 2600k. Fact is unless you get a golden chip and overclock it to absurd levels 4,8GHZ+ while using DDR3-2400 while using a tweaked win10 1511 version or win7 you'll suffer from stuttering in every game that you're not GPU limited.

To avoid bad frametimes and stutter easier, the correct upgrade path would be to up your resolution, to ensure that you are in a GPU bottleneck most of the time.

Bioshock_1920x1080_PLOT.png&key=570e7b98

GTAV_1920x1080_PLOT.png&key=dd4fd5981d49

1440p

Bioshock_2560x1440_PLOT.png

GTAV_2560x1440_PLOT_1.png

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |