Wifi Ability

I know connecting over a wired lan from your router or internet service is what you should do for a server. However, I don't have that ability for the next two months until I move into my house. I'm wondering if a wifi pci card would work for the time being? I'm using windows server 2016.

2 minutes ago, Schraufabagel said:

I know connecting over a wired lan from your router or internet service is what you should do for a server. However, I don't have that ability for the next two months until I move into my house. I'm wondering if a wifi pci card would work for the time being? I'm using windows server 2016.

Yes it will work, would be a good idea to try the computer or router in a few different locations (doesn't have to be large movements) to get the best speed you can. Another option you could look at is power line Ethernet.

I have a similar problem (not allowed to drill holes for ethernet) so I run a range extender with ethernet as a wireless bridge to my servers on the 2nd floor/attic. Works rather well (network transfers 40-50MB/s).

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

2 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

I have a similar problem (not allowed to drill holes for ethernet) so I run a range extender with ethernet as a wireless bridge to my servers on the 2nd floor/attic. Works rather well (network transfers 40-50MB/s).

That's also what I was considering, would just need one powerful enough for a wired connection to it. Just wondering if the pci card or the extender would be more worth the price.

41 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Yes it will work, would be a good idea to try the computer or router in a few different locations (doesn't have to be large movements) to get the best speed you can. Another option you could look at is power line Ethernet.

What mbps rating would you recommend? Would a simple 300 mbps card/extender work? Or should I go for something like the t-p link 900 card?

May want to make sure you copy your files in a transnational way if there are network problems. Dragging and dropping in windows may cause incomplete writes if the network decides to throw the data on the floor.

Rsync isn't really that popular on Windows but it's what I'd usually recommend. There must be a good rsync client out there for windows somewhere.

"Only proprietary software vendors want proprietary software." - Dexter's Law

On 6/8/2018 at 6:04 PM, jde3 said:

May want to make sure you copy your files in a transnational way if there are network problems. Dragging and dropping in windows may cause incomplete writes if the network decides to throw the data on the floor.

Rsync isn't really that popular on Windows but it's what I'd usually recommend. There must be a good rsync client out there for windows somewhere.

Well you've got RoboCopy and XCopy, both of which are similar to RSync.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)