Quadro P1000 VS GTX 1050 (TI)

mcniek

Hi,

I am looking for a new notebook which I am going to use for study (MatLab) and gaming (Heroes of the storm, Fallout 4, GTA V etc. favorably at 2560x1440). I have a good offer from my university. I can buy the HP Zbook Studio G5 for a price of 1198 euro. It has the following specs:

• Intel Core i7-8750H  (sixcore)  Coffee Lake
  • 16GB DDR4 2666 MHz (1x16GB)
  • 512GB SSD PCIe  NVMe 3 layer SSD
  • Nvidia Quadro P1000  4GB GDDR5

I now have an HP Elitebook 8560w for 7 years and it still works okay at the moment. So the quality of this kind of laptops seems to be very good.

When looking online I see there are some offers to buy a notebook with a GTX1050 build in for the same price range (Asus VivoBook Pro N580VD-FY701T and the HP Pavilion Power 15-cb065nd which has a GTX1050Ti). This HP seems to have some reliability issues with the keyboard. I don't know anything about the building quality of the Asus. 

Can you help me decide which notebook is best for me? Are these laptops going to last for 7 years as well? Is an external GPU an option for me?

Of course workstation laptop has better build quality. Does your workload benefit from Quadro?

2 minutes ago, mcniek said:

last for 7 years

Very hard. With 8750H CPU and TB3 should be OK

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

8 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

Does your workload benefit from Quadro?

Not really I think. I don't do any rendering things. Only the occasional running of Matlab/Python.

I just like the robustness of the laptop I have now and don't want to do a step back by buying a notebook which is not reliable

Workstation laptops cost more and have business oriented features.if you don’t need those features you can save a lot by using a consumer grade laptop with equivalent spec.

also look at laptops with an MX150 chipset GPu as they’re similar in performance to a gtx1050 (non-ti) and on a lot more laptops

6 minutes ago, Jay Deah said:

Workstation laptops cost more and have business oriented features.if you don’t need those features you can save a lot by using a consumer grade laptop with equivalent spec.

I can buy the workstation for 1200 euro which is a discount of around 900 euro. So, it is not really the money which is the problem. 

8 minutes ago, Jay Deah said:

also look at laptops with an MX150 chipset GPu as they’re similar in performance to a gtx1050 (non-ti) and on a lot more laptops

Thanks for the tip! But when looking at a comparison on notebookcheck I can see I pretty big difference between these two cards.

17 minutes ago, Jay Deah said:

it's also build quality. business hardware is better built than consumer stuff. i have a HP EliteBook Folio 9470m and everyhthing still feels solid, even though it's quite old. the only thing i've had to fix was the thermal compound. 

She/Her

1 hour ago, Jay Deah said:

Umm what are you talking about

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

1 hour ago, Jay Deah said:

15 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

Umm what are you talking about

yeah, i thought that the mx150 was about the same as a 950M

She/Her

• 2 months later...

So the real question here is Quadro P1000  vs GTX 1050ti , will a quadro perform better? compatibility will be worse but if performance is better its ok.... but  I dont think so...

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

I would get a GTX 1050ti over the Quadro.

You aren't running anything that will take advantage of Quadro specific features.

Everything else you chose is sound.

Quadros are not gaming cards and you will not get the same performance in games as you would with a card designed for it.

Also, don't listen regarding a MX150.

If that were the case, then people like me wouldn't be getting 1050ti based laptops.

Not to mention, if you want performance, you should not be going the ultra-book route, which is what the MX150 is designed for. You want something with proper cooling if you plan to drive any performance requiring tasks.

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard