Using an External Monitor on a Laptop (for gaming)

I was wondering whether it is a good idea to connect an external high refresh rate (120Hz), high resolution monitor to a laptop with a gtx1050 and Intel(R) Core I7-7700HQ 2.80GHz for gaming and movies.

Things to think about:

-Is it worth it considering the laptop only has an entry level GPU(gtx1050)

-Will using an external monitor slow down/ interfere with system performance (decrease FPS n such)

-What are the ports needed 

-What about the resolution? Will a high resolution monitor work if using a gtx1050

Extra info:

-Issues about costs aren't of a huge interest

-Any suggestions for good monitors with high refresh rates are wanted

-I'm not an expert or anything 

19 minutes ago, bananbus said:

I was wondering whether it is a good idea to connect an external high refresh rate (120Hz), high resolution monitor to a laptop with a gtx1050 and Intel(R) Core I7-7700HQ 2.80GHz for gaming and movies.

Things to think about:

-Is it worth it considering the laptop only has an entry level GPU(gtx1050)

-Will using an external monitor slow down/ interfere with system performance (decrease FPS n such)

-What are the ports needed 

-What about the resolution? Will a high resolution monitor work if using a gtx1050

Extra info:

-Issues about costs aren't of a huge interest

-Any suggestions for good monitors with high refresh rates are wanted

-I'm not an expert or anything 

it really depends on what games you play, if you know you aren't going to hit 120hz at your desired settings then don't bother

21 minutes ago, General Winter said:

it really depends on what games you play, if you know you aren't going to hit 120hz at your desired settings then don't bother

120fps*

OP, you won't have a performance impact by using an external monitor unless it's a different resolution. As General Winter said, it'll depend on the games you play.

As long as your laptop has a video output (HDMI or DisplayPort are the two most likely ones), you should be fine, just make sure that if the monitor doesn't have the same connector that you get an appropriate adapter.

I wouldn't go past 1080p with a GTX 1050.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

1 hour ago, General Winter said:

oh ok, so then will a game that runs at 60fps look the same in a 60Hz and 120Hz monitor which is why it is useless to buy the 120Hz?

2 hours ago, bananbus said:

oh ok, so then will a game that runs at 60fps look the same in a 60Hz and 120Hz monitor

If the GPU spits out frames at 60 fps, then the game will look exactly the same on a 60 MHz monitor, as on of 120 Hz or even 240 Hz.

One frame will stay on the screen for the same time.

Depending on the games you play, and taking your laptop's GTX 1050 into account, it is probbly not worth it buying a 120 fps monitor.

14 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

If the GPU spits out frames at 60 fps, then the game will look exactly the same on a 60 MHz monitor, as on of 120 Hz or even 240 Hz.

One frame will stay on the screen for the same time.

Depending on the games you play, and taking your laptop's GTX 1050 into account, it is probbly not worth it buying a 120 fps monitor.

oh okay thanks