Displaying PC temp using RGB LEDs?

So i had this great idea that what if you could have LED strips be set to specific colors or to gradually change colors based on the Temperature reading cumming from your PC. For example, a PC at idle would have it's LED's Set to blue or light green and then as the PC begins to heat up, the colors would gradually shift over to reds. I started looking around for something like this but have come up empty as i just can't find anything with how i am wording this. I don't think something like this would be too hard has most motherboards have an LED header or you could run multiple LED strips seperatly for different temp sensors through cards or even USB controllers. 

If Linus sees this, you should defiantly see if this could be a video as this would be sweet, imagine a PC case where a LED strip illuminate the front panel is set to CPU Temps and GPU Temps are shown through Internal LED's illuminating  the insides. I know so many people, my self included, who would love this feature as it would give us a visual representation/que of temps without having to open and sustain a monitoring software. Imagine this on a Render farm in a firm  where one glance will tell you that the Station is in use or still working based on its temps. or a Server rack where each mounted portion ( HDD, GPU, etc.) could be illuminated via a strip up[ front based on color sense for temps. 

This may just be the next big step for RGB everything, giving a real purpose to having you PC look like a techno nightclub.

Feel free to steal my idea for your own, just give me a setup of this

RGB Temps Mockup.png

This is a great idea! Linus should make a thing about this. 

22 minutes ago, mmk said:

This is capable on my Asus Z370 Prime board for the onboard rgb lights using Asus Aura.

Yep, this is already available in AURA Sync

i7 8700k @ 5.0Ghz | ASUS Strix Z370-F Gaming | Cryorig R1 Ultimate | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 | ASUS Strix GTX 1080 8GB (A8G) | WD Black 500GB PCIe NVMe | Samsung 750 EVO 120GB | Western Digital Black Series 1TB | Fractal Design Define R6 TG | Corsair RM750x

"Everyone says that I'm incredibly unlucky at the Silicon Lottery. In truth, I just persist in believing that 106°C is an acceptable temperature."

- Me, 2018

Oh, and btw, servers have load monitors on the front of them already

i7 8700k @ 5.0Ghz | ASUS Strix Z370-F Gaming | Cryorig R1 Ultimate | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 | ASUS Strix GTX 1080 8GB (A8G) | WD Black 500GB PCIe NVMe | Samsung 750 EVO 120GB | Western Digital Black Series 1TB | Fractal Design Define R6 TG | Corsair RM750x

"Everyone says that I'm incredibly unlucky at the Silicon Lottery. In truth, I just persist in believing that 106°C is an acceptable temperature."

- Me, 2018

45 minutes ago, keoni6 said:

Temperature reading cumming from your PC.

Banned for sexual content

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

46 minutes ago, keoni6 said:

RGB Temps Mockup.png

I'd turn the lights upside down so it rises to the red not falls to it, but that's just my opinion

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

On 6/1/2018 at 9:28 AM, keoni6 said:

RGB Temps Mockup.png

Up yours... !

Why not just a single RGB that runs through the spectrum? Alternatively, a lot of recent motherboards have a digital number... face.. forgetting the word that shows the actual temps in C or F.

#Muricaparrotgang

I love the idea! My Asus board lets me set colors based on temps, but it's only a basic threshold (above temp X is one color, below is another.) I'm getting into some more serious/useful Arduino projects recently, so maybe I'll start working on a more utilitarian RGB setup like this.