Total Water Cooling newbie

Go to solution Solved by AverageAfro,

OK. So I might not be going to water cooling. I looked in my PC and it turns out I'm running 2 crappy random 140mm fans in the front... I was under the impression I was running all noctuas. My fan curve was also shit because I had 2 programs that were setting the speeds and the one with a bad fan curve had control. So I ditched it and the temps dropped a couple degrees an the sound became good again.

I don't know what happened... Anyway. I'll be buying a couple of Noctua 140mm, Might go industrial so that I can get some more air flow through those smaller side vents. Will research this more.

Thank you for your help though guys! Turns out I'm just an idiot!

Hey guys! 

So I'm in the process of upgrading my computer and the set up I'd like to go with doesn't seem to really be covered anywhere, and I'm worried about the temps.

I have 3 27" 2k monitors, my main one being 144hz, and the other 2 60hz. No while all three run fine on my 1080, when I'm playing a game on my main display I notice that my 1080 will hit the high 90% usage and will get to a toasty 80-90 degrees. This makes me uncomfortable as I game a lot, and record at the same time, which means i'm hitting my CPU temps up too (Around 70-80 when full tilt). To remedy this, I'd like to add in my old 970 and have it run the 2 side monitors.

This I know will probably not help my Temps... I'm adding in more power, which means my PSU will get hotter and even though nothing is running as hard there is MORE of it. Coupled with the fact the 970 is an open blower so it's not pushing the air out the back.

This is where you guys come in. I don't want to go a full custom loop. I don't have the time or the money to get this set up and keep it maintained. What I would like to do is either get that NZXT bracket adapter and throw an AIO onto my 970 and expel the heat as exhaust. OR. Get one of those fancy EK Modular AIO and put my 1080 and CPU in it, leaving the 970 as an air blower (there's no GPU modular block for it as far as I can see)

I know I'll need to still check both of these regularly to see if anything is up and I can't just leave it like my current air cooling set up!

Thoughts?

Since the 1080 and the CPU are the most heat makers in your PC right now i say go for the AIO and put your CPU and 1080 on there. Your 970 temp will decrease too because some/most of the hot air in your pc is draw out of your pc

Get EK Phoenix , they're nice. I have two of those. One 360mm unit with the CPU and the 1080 block should be good. The rad is thick and your temps will be at least halved on the GPU.

3 hours ago, OVD123 said:

<snip>

3 hours ago, Motifator said:

<snip>

Thanks guys! A few more questions.

Firstly, what can I fit in the Define R5 silent? I did a quick google and know I can get a 360 in the front. This just means I wont have a space to mount my single HDD (SSDs are on the back). I could get creative and mount it to the bottom though I guess. In additon, should I go push pull if the clearance on my GPU's is sufficient? I have the required fans lying about...

Secondly, how oftend should I check the loop? I'm thinking once I've got it set up. Stress test it and keep an eye on it. Then once I'm happy once a week?

Also, are their any places I can look up some charts on temps for this product? 

Edit: Also, what's the pump sound like? I think whine is the only sound I can't stand, fan whoosh is ok. 

OK. So I might not be going to water cooling. I looked in my PC and it turns out I'm running 2 crappy random 140mm fans in the front... I was under the impression I was running all noctuas. My fan curve was also shit because I had 2 programs that were setting the speeds and the one with a bad fan curve had control. So I ditched it and the temps dropped a couple degrees an the sound became good again.

I don't know what happened... Anyway. I'll be buying a couple of Noctua 140mm, Might go industrial so that I can get some more air flow through those smaller side vents. Will research this more.

Thank you for your help though guys! Turns out I'm just an idiot!