Overheated my gpu by accident.

Khoomn

So today I got on my computer, turned on some war thunder and started playing, I was starting to get really bad lag spikes for no reason, I went to my minimized apps in the bottom right and noticed MSI afterburner wasnt open, I open MSI afterburner and look at whats going on, my gpu was running at 96c with no fans running because msi afterburner wasnt on, is 96c damaging to my gpu? I got this gpu exactly 1 week ago and i feel like im already damaging it.

For picture: The far right is the highest any of those have been, middle is minimum, far left is current.

index.png

Why it's not running?
and why it's only running when you open Afterburner?

Just uninstalled it and reset the setting, it should be auto on every time.

Why it stop?

So many why...

Why you do this?

for a short time, your gpu can handle that temp, just set ab to open on windows startup and dont be a dumbass (your gpu would throttle down to all hell before it got damaged)

1 minute ago, Blebekblebek said:

Why it's not running?
and why it's only running when you open Afterburner?

Just uninstalled it and reset the setting, it should be auto on every time.

Why it stop?

So many why...

Why you do this?

I don't know why it didnt run when i started up my computer, it is set to startup with my pc. MSI afterburner controls my fans even when its not on for some reason, idk why it stopped, idk why so many. idk why i did this

Just now, Firecheetah13 said:

for a short time, your gpu can handle that temp, just set ab to open on windows startup and dont be a dumbass (your gpu would throttle down to all hell before it got damaged)

the thing is, it is set to startup with my pc but it didnt for some reason this time, it does every other time, and it is not set to startup in the task manager startup section, should I add it to that?

17 minutes ago, battleaxe143 said:

the thing is, it is set to startup with my pc but it didnt for some reason this time, it does every other time, and it is not set to startup in the task manager startup section, should I add it to that?

better safe then sorry

I know there are certain model which usually have 2 or more fans that won't turn on their fan until certain temperatures, but if it won't run until you run afterburner is a bit silly, it might be a defective fans, but who knows.

What option you've set on afterburner?

Try to reinstall driver first, and try it without afterburner, and don't keep the setting.

12 minutes ago, Blebekblebek said:

I know there are certain model which usually have 2 or more fans that won't turn on their fan until certain temperatures, but if it won't run until you run afterburner is a bit silly, it might be a defective fans, but who knows.

What option you've set on afterburner?

Try to reinstall driver first, and try it without afterburner, and don't keep the setting.

So i think it was just something wrong with my pc when i turned it on, because i restarted my pc without afterburner starting up again and the fans were normal and perfectly fine.

Id say youre fine, cards are meant to take those temps, but not often, and not long, so good on you for stopping it. Your card is probably fine, maybe knocked a few months off its life, just try to figure out what caused it, fix it, and keep an eye on it in the future. (Put your pc on the desk next to you so you can check, or just stop playing a look every once in a while.) If it doesnt happen anymore you should be good.