Oculus Rift Compatability With AMD??

danakahawkeye

I got an Oculus Rift about 2 months ago and after about 3 hours of game time i started to notice some serious graphical artefacts, tearing and very large frame drops, I have been talking to oculus about this but they seemed to be just blaming it on my hardware and eventually sent a new rift, the problem is still the same. Is anyone else having any similar issues???? I am at my wits end with oculus support, their service is terrible I have reinstalled windows twice now thanks to them and had to reinstall all my games as they were on my boot device so if anyone has any tips on what I could do to solve this I would greatly appreciate any help, I have tried running the games in desktop mode and get well over 144 fps at 1080p and around 90 fps with a span setup resolution of 5760*1080 but the rift even with me enabling sub-sampling on nvidia control panel drops frequently and locks at 45 fps or lower. I can not see how my hardware could be faulty as I am having no problems with anything other than the oculus so all I can think it could be is a faulty refurbished unit they sent or their software is not compatible with my particular setup even though it exceeds the minimum and recommended requirements they proved.

My specs are:

Ryzen 5 1600 (Stock)

GTX 1080 (SC edition)

16gb DDR4 2133mhz

PC:

CPU:  Intel Core i7 10700k (Currently at 4.7Ghz All Cores) | Motherboard: AsRock Z490 Extreme 4  | RAM: 32gb Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 3000MHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 ULTRA | Cooler: Fractal Design Celsius S36 | Case: Phanteks Eclipse P600S  | PSU: Corsair RM850X | Storage: 512GB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD, 1TB WD Blue M.2 SSD | OS: Windows 10 Pro |

Peripherals:

Monitors: Acer XV272UP, 2x Acer KG221Q, HTC Vive Headset  | Keyboard: AFXMK0217 | Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 | Sound: Logitech Z313, Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 OHM (Studio) |

Other Inputs:  Saitek X52 Hotas, Steam Controller, XBox One Controller, Valve Index Controllers

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra 5G

Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab S6

PC gamer and Hobbyist Electrical Engineer and Full Time Product Engineer

2 minutes ago, danakahawkeye said:

I got an Oculus Rift about 2 months ago and after about 3 hours of game time i started to notice some serious graphical artefacts, tearing and very large frame drops, I have been talking to oculus about this but they seemed to be just blaming it on my hardware and eventually sent a new rift, the problem is still the same. Is anyone else having any similar issues???? I am at my wits end with oculus support, their service is terrible I have reinstalled windows twice now thanks to them and had to reinstall all my games as they were on my boot device so if anyone has any tips on what I could do to solve this I would greatly appreciate any help, I have tried running the games in desktop mode and get well over 144 fps at 1080p and around 90 fps with a span setup resolution of 5760*1080 but the rift even with me enabling sub-sampling on nvidia control panel drops frequently and locks at 45 fps or lower. I can not see how my hardware could be faulty as I am having no problems with anything other than the oculus so all I can think it could be is a faulty refurbished unit they sent or their software is not compatible with my particular setup even though it exceeds the minimum and recommended requirements they proved.

My specs are:

Ryzen 5 1600 (Stock)

GTX 1080 (SC edition)

16gb DDR4 2133mhz

You can try updating your drivers for cpu mobo and gpu to the newest version available

18 minutes ago, danakahawkeye said:

My specs are:

Ryzen 5 1600 (Stock)

GTX 1080 (SC edition)

16gb DDR4 2133mhz

try overlcocking your CPU a little bit, it wont hurt and youll see better performance especially with your 1080 level GPU because your CPUs IPC is probably very poor at stock settings for a 1080 its very likely choking the life out of it also your ram seems to be pretty slow you could see some perforamance gains from setting the rams XMP profile unless you bought 2133 ram for some reason...? 

14 minutes ago, ManosMax13 said:

You can try updating your drivers for cpu mobo and gpu to the newest version available

Everything is already at the latest driver available including bios and chipset drivers.

2 minutes ago, Nogghan said:

try overlcocking your CPU a little bit, it wont hurt and youll see better performance especially with your 1080 level GPU

I really don't want to risk with overclocking my CPU I get that it will increase the performance but I ain't confident enough to do it.

PC:

CPU:  Intel Core i7 10700k (Currently at 4.7Ghz All Cores) | Motherboard: AsRock Z490 Extreme 4  | RAM: 32gb Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 3000MHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 ULTRA | Cooler: Fractal Design Celsius S36 | Case: Phanteks Eclipse P600S  | PSU: Corsair RM850X | Storage: 512GB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD, 1TB WD Blue M.2 SSD | OS: Windows 10 Pro |

Peripherals:

Monitors: Acer XV272UP, 2x Acer KG221Q, HTC Vive Headset  | Keyboard: AFXMK0217 | Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 | Sound: Logitech Z313, Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 OHM (Studio) |

Other Inputs:  Saitek X52 Hotas, Steam Controller, XBox One Controller, Valve Index Controllers

Just now, danakahawkeye said:

Everything is already at the latest driver available including bios and chipset drivers.

I really don't want to risk with overclocking my CPU I get that it will increase the performance but I ain't confident enough to do it.

Overclocking isnt difficult, just tedious. There are handfuls of helpful videos and guides for ryzen cpus

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

just dont set your voltage over 1.4 and nothing will break things die from OC when you give it too much voltage or cant cool it properly, youre missing out of some great gains to your game play that very well may solve your issues but its your hardware do with it what yo uwant 

3 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Overclocking isnt difficult, just tedious. There are handfuls of helpful videos and guides for ryzen cpus

just dont set your voltage over 1.4 and nothing will break things die from OC when you give it too much voltage or cant cool it properly, youre missing out of some great gains to your game play that very well may solve your issues but its your hardware do with it what yo uwant 

I know there are a lot of guides and you can safely(ish) do it and I do have suitable cooling (An AIO) its just With this being a fairly new PC and me being a student I don't exactly have the money to replace it if I brick it by accident no matter how rare it is..... Maybe I will do it as a last resort but not at the moment, I don't really want to risk it for just the oculus. And for the 1.4V I have already had to lower the voltage myself as at stock my CPU was running at 1.4V for some reason.

PC:

Peripherals:

I know there are a lot of guides and you can safely(ish) do it and I do have suitable cooling (An AIO) its just With this being a fairly new PC and me being a student I don't exactly have the money to replace it if I brick it by accident no matter how rare it is..... Maybe I will do it as a last resort but not at the moment, I don't really want to risk it for just the oculus. And for the 1.4V I have already had to lower the voltage myself as at stock my CPU was running at 1.4V for some reason.

so just go into bios and change the multiplier and nothing els put the voltage back to stock and only change the multiplier for the cores until you get a BSOD in a stress test then drop the multiplier by 1 and be thriller with your free performance

you have an AIO going to waste its 110% unnecessary to have that if you are running stock settings your stock cooler is MORE than enough to cover that 

if your stock voltage was that high put it back and change some multipliers it wont hurt your cpu it wont brick your motherboard if you BSOD from too much mulitplier or too little voltage you arent messing with BIOS updates and thunderstorms 

1 minute ago, Nogghan said:

so just go into bios and change the multiplier and nothing els put the voltage back to stock and only change the multiplier for the cores until you get a BSOD in a stress test then drop the multiplier by 1 and be thriller with your free performance

you have an AIO going to waste its 110% unnecessary to have that if you are running stock settings your stock cooler is MORE than enough to cover that 

if your stock voltage was that high put it back and change some multipliers it wont hurt your cpu it wont brick your motherboard if you BSOD from too much mulitplier or too little voltage you arent messing with BIOS updates and thunderstorms 

Ok I would appreciate it if you didn't start poking fun at me, The only reason I got the AIO was because it was on sale for a shop closing down so I got it at a heavily reduced price for future proofing In case I upgrade my CPU or decide to overclock in the future and like I said I am a student I do not have the money to replace the parts IF they break. Again I get that overclocking will increase my computers performance but that is not what I asked in the first post so please can we just go off the topic of overclocking even though it will increase the performance of my PC, but when everything else is running perfectly fine for what I want to to do in gaming and CAD design I am not overclocking for the oculus when it isn't guaranteed to fix the problem.

PC:

Peripherals:

Ok I would appreciate it if you didn't start poking fun at me, The only reason I got the AIO was because it was on sale for a shop closing down so I got it at a heavily reduced price for future proofing In case I upgrade my CPU or decide to overclock in the future and like I said I am a student I do not have the money to replace the parts IF they break. Again I get that overclocking will increase my computers performance but that is not what I asked in the first post so please can we just go off the topic of overclocking even though it will increase the performance of my PC, but when everything else is running perfectly fine for what I want to to do in gaming and CAD design I am not overclocking for the oculus when it isn't guaranteed to fix the problem.

im telling you your issue will likely be solved by the overclock because the graphics issues youre describing are likely that of a choked CPU considering you have a 1080

and im not poking fun at you im trying to get you to realize that you can overclock and get the free perforamance youre missing out on with no risk to your parts especailly if you have them cooled by an AIO its just perfect for it thats all. sorry you feel attacked but youre literally missing the point of everything i said if you do its safe and its free perforamance that will almost certainly fix your issue but you dont want to hear it so what ever 

im telling you your issue will likely be solved by the overclock because the graphics issues youre describing are likely that of a choked CPU considering you have a 1080

and im not poking fun at you im trying to get you to realize that you can overclock and get the free perforamance youre missing out on with no risk to your parts especailly if you have them cooled by an AIO its just perfect for it thats all. sorry you feel attacked but youre literally missing the point of everything i said if you do its safe and its free perforamance that will almost certainly fix your issue but you dont want to hear it so what ever 

Ok thank you for that but I really don't want to overclock my CPU like I said I may try it as a last resort if I get nowhere in the future but I don't see why my CPU could be choking the GPU for only the oculus to this degree, This is the sort of thing I have gone through with oculus for the last month, I get that the oculus is essentially two monitors through one cable but I am able to run three monitors at full resolution and a higher frame rate than what I am able to get on the oculus, and that is with no tearing or artefacts.

PC:

Peripherals:

5 minutes ago, danakahawkeye said:

Ok thank you for that but I really don't want to overclock my CPU like I said I may try it as a last resort if I get nowhere in the future but I don't see why my CPU could be choking the GPU for only the oculus to this degree, This is the sort of thing I have gone through with oculus for the last month, I get that the oculus is essentially two monitors through one cable but I am able to run three monitors at full resolution and a higher frame rate than what I am able to get on the oculus, and that is with no tearing or artefacts.

aside from everything els have you just ensured the cables are secure firmly on both ends and that its a good quality cable? i know my friend had a shitty HDMI cable and it cause his VR to stutter like mad 

aside from everything els have you just ensured the cables are secure firmly on both ends and that its a good quality cable? i know my friend had a shitty HDMI cable and it cause his VR to stutter like mad 

Yeah on both the original and refurbished units the cables were fully intact and securely fastened at both ends, I cant tell if the cable inside is good quality without cutting it open which i'm presuming you know I won't do.

PC:

Peripherals:

3 minutes ago, danakahawkeye said:

Yeah on both the original and refurbished units the cables were fully intact and securely fastened at both ends, I cant tell if the cable inside is good quality without cutting it open which i'm presuming you know I won't do.

measure the quality in things like the thickness or weight of the cable and gold plating the ends those will improve signal and quality theoretically but if they are the origginal cables its fine

Edited by Nogghan

It is all the standard Oculus wire I cant change it, the actual contacts seem intact, abit scratched on the refurb unit I got from oculus, the weight is decent(ish) and the thickness is the same as a known good oculus cable.

PC:

Peripherals:

@danakahawkeye only other things i could think of would be try reseating your GPU or just making sure you are plugged directly into the back of the graphics card not the motherboard, otherwise it actually could still be a faulty cable if you can try using a different one even from your monitors just to test for a second to rule that out, then maybe try using a later Nvidia drive one known to work for sure with the rift or one you knew to work unless you've always had these problems then the problem is with something youve had for both rift sets because you said you got a second one sent right?

5 minutes ago, danakahawkeye said:

It is all the standard Oculus wire I cant change it, the actual contacts seem intact, abit scratched on the refurb unit I got from oculus, the weight is decent(ish) and the thickness is the same as a known good oculus cable.

if those dont help you start ruling out items 1 at a time that youve had with both sets of the rift hardware that cause issues, try one stick of ram in each slot, try a different PCIe slot id even try a different set of PCIe power cables from your PSU if you have any different ones 

@danakahawkeye only other things i could think of would be try reseating your GPU or just making sure you are plugged directly into the back of the graphics card not the motherboard, otherwise it actually could still be a faulty cable if you can try using a different one even from your monitors just to test for a second to rule that out, then maybe try using a later Nvidia drive one known to work for sure with the rift or one you knew to work unless you've always had these problems then the problem is with something youve had for both rift sets because you said you got a second one sent right?

I have tried reseating the GPU and the rift is plugged directly into the GPU on a known working HDMI port I cant test the cable as on the oculus end it uses an oculus proprietary connector. I have tried the driver that Oculus recomends too but to no success, and yes Oculus sent me a refurbished unit as a replacement for my new rift.

PC:

Peripherals:

if those dont help you start ruling out items 1 at a time that youve had with both sets of the rift hardware that cause issues, try one stick of ram in each slot, try a different PCIe slot id even try a different set of PCIe power cables from your PSU if you have any different ones 

I have reseated the ram in different slots and checked they are working correctly doing 2 different diagnostics on them, I cant try another PCie slot as the other slot on my motherboard isnt a full speed slot and Due to the nature of my cable management or lack there of I cant really try a new PCie power cable.

PC:

Peripherals:

1 minute ago, danakahawkeye said:

I have reseated the ram in different slots and checked they are working correctly doing 2 different diagnostics on them, I cant try another PCie slot as the other slot on my motherboard isnt a full speed slot and Due to the nature of my cable management or lack there of I cant really try a new PCie power cable.

no no go ahead and try the 8x slot its fine it wont hurt things much if anything and it might help for testing 

I have now tested it with the 8x slot and a new pcie wire but still no change in performance.. 

PC:

Peripherals:

2 hours ago, Nogghan said:

no no go ahead and try the 8x slot its fine it wont hurt things much if anything and it might help for testing 

I have tested it with the 8x slot and the errors are still there..

PC:

Peripherals:

4 hours ago, danakahawkeye said:

I have tested it with the 8x slot and the errors are still there..

well if you say you can run it windowed on desktop then the problem is most likely with the headset in some way, it could be compatibility but i doubt thats it, i also doubt its your hardware if you can run it on desktop fine, unless your headset is higher pixel density than your monitors.

can you try running your screens in Nvidia surround and see if running it in windowed mode is still good? well not windowed but like full screen desktop 

12 hours ago, Nogghan said:

well if you say you can run it windowed on desktop then the problem is most likely with the headset in some way, it could be compatibility but i doubt thats it, i also doubt its your hardware if you can run it on desktop fine, unless your headset is higher pixel density than your monitors.

can you try running your screens in Nvidia surround and see if running it in windowed mode is still good? well not windowed but like full screen desktop 

I have run the games that arent VR only in surround desktop and they run fine and the reason I think its compatability with my config is because the problem persists across two headsets.

PC:

Peripherals:

3 hours ago, danakahawkeye said:

I have run the games that arent VR only in surround desktop and they run fine and the reason I think its compatability with my config is because the problem persists across two headsets.

yeah id agree with you, it seems like something didnt get changed out when you swapped your new unit for the refurb one, if theres anything the same from the old unit that could cause these issues try and think about it now otherwise its probably another bugged headset IMO doesnt sound like hardware if youre able to run the games in surround no issues but the issue is when the headset comes in, yeah its probably the headset in someway