no power up (MB or CPU issue) [SOLVED]

barney2x4

Hi!

I had a H170 MB and it had some problems - it started failing to find the monitor more and more often. It started crashing on boot and at the end could not even find the SSD on that SATA port. I thought it was a MB issue so I sent it back (it has 1.5 years of warranty left). In the meantime I got a 200-series MB (GA-H270-Gaming 3, Socket 1151) but when I connect only the essentials (PSU to MB, no GPU, no HDD, SSD or whatever) it cannot start. When you press the on/off button it starts for half a second, the fans begin to spin and that's it, it stops. On the the edge of the MB there are 4 LED's and one of them (for the CPU) is flashing. The MB is 200-series, the CPU is 6-gen (i5/6600k), it should not be an issue. I plugged and uplugged everything. The CPU fan is properly connected and starts spinning...for 0.5 seconds, like all other fans. It's not a PSU issue either. 

Aside from a bent pin or spilled thermal paste (both of which are not the case) - is there anything else I can try before sending them both for warranty repair? A test with a different CPU is obviously my next task, but that's going to be in the coming days. Any ideas? Is it possible it was the CPU all along? Or is it a faulty socket issue?

11 minutes ago, barney2x4 said:

Hi!

I had a H170 MB and it had some problems - it started failing to find the monitor more and more often. It started crashing on boot and at the end could not even find the SSD on that SATA port. I thought it was a MB issue so I sent it back (it has 1.5 years of warranty left). In the meantime I got a 200-series MB (GA-H270-Gaming 3, Socket 1151) but when I connect only the essentials (PSU to MB, no GPU, no HDD, SSD or whatever) it cannot start. When you press the on/off button it starts for half a second, the fans begin to spin and that's it, it stops. On the the edge of the MB there are 4 LED's and one of them (for the CPU) is flashing. The MB is 200-series, the CPU is 6-gen (i5/6600k), it should not be an issue. I plugged and uplugged everything. The CPU fan is properly connected and starts spinning...for 0.5 seconds, like all other fans. It's not a PSU issue either. 

Aside from a bent pin or spilled thermal paste (both of which are not the case) - is there anything else I can try before sending them both for warranty repair? A test with a different CPU is obviously my next task, but that's going to be in the coming days. Any ideas? Is it possible it was the CPU all along? Or is it a faulty socket issue?

I'm willing to bet your power supply is bad, it can't sent enough power to the board to power things up.

I'd start there.,...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

You could clear cmos, and test with only one stick of ram at a time in different slots. . . although this sounds like its the cpu

Try this. Unplug the CPU 4 or 8 pin from the motherboard. Alternatively remove the CPU entirely. Turn the system on. Does the system maintain a suspended state without powering off? If so the issue is either CPU or PSU related. It's typically easier to find a different PSU than CPU. Try a different PSU with everything plugged in again. If the same issue occurs then you can move your attention to motherboard or CPU.

Haha, it's working....and the problem was the stupidest one I have seen.
Different RAM sticks in different slots - nothing.
I cleaned the CPU and applied thermal paste again - nothing.
The PSU was fine - all non-essentials were disconnected, I tried reconnecting the 4+4 and 24pin cables - nothing.
I cleared the CMOS - nothing.
I changed the CMOS battery - nothing.
And I finally tried something that worked....wait for it....I tightened the screws of the socket itself. Duh, right? I have never had such an issue. This is a new board, I bought it on a discount because the box was opened and damaged. This goes into my own personal troubleshooting list. :)