PSU self turns off

Go to solution Solved by Imiril,

Well, someone commented on the shop, that this psu could handle a GTX 960 and I5, also the Modecom PSU was recommended from my Friend. 

Anyway, i will buy a new DECENT PSU.

Hello,first of all I know that my computer is pretty old, but I mostly use it to play old games.

Let's get to the problem. I have some issues with my psu, I have 3 psus, with first one I didn't have any problems my pc was running just fine, I could play all games and it was ok.

With the second one my PC was turning off few seconds after I was starting new game in all games with 3D Graphics, and with the third one, my PC could only boot to Windows, the second I got into the desktop, it self turned off, and now it doesn't want to boot, I've checked the psu and without Motherboard it works just fine. I managed to "do" Something while i've put all the parts on my bed and i turned the power on, and it was running just fine, I was able to run games on it. It isn't an issue with the thermals because,the avarage thermals for my PC are 40C to 50C and I've putted new Thermal Paste on CPU, GPU. Fans for CPU and GPU are just running fine with one additional fan for the whole system. I've done some stress test to GPU and CPU and it didn't turn off. I've updated Bios and tried to lower the voltage but it didn't do any good at all.

My Computer Spec's are: 

MotherboardGigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P

Processor: AMD Athlon X2 250 3.0ghz Dual-Core

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTS 450

RAM: GoodRam 8GB 1333mhz DDR3

HDD: Seagate 320GB 

*Windows 10 Dual-Boot with Win 7

First PSU: Akyga AK B1-400S - 400W

Second PSU: Modecom 1 500ATX - 500W

Third PSU: Aero Cool VX-450 - 450W

My Power Consumption is 350W

Zasilacz2.png.c7e1b7dff4b960ee870e8e5364ac4001.png

sounds like you are shorting out on the case or one of your pins.

I though about it and I've put the Motherboard on the cardboard without any screws , but the psu still turns itself off, also the cables from PSU are long enough, the pins are directly pushed into the motherboard 

31 minutes ago, Imiril said:

First PSU: Akyga AK B1-400S - 400W

Second PSU: Modecom 1 500ATX - 500W

Third PSU: Aero Cool VX-450 - 450W

Get a decent quality 400-450W PSU.

The ones you have are garbage and can't even really be called Powersupply.

They are a Metal Box with Cables on it, nothing more...

31 minutes ago, Imiril said:

My Power Consumption is 350W

Zasilacz2.png.c7e1b7dff4b960ee870e8e5364ac4001.png

pls don't believe those "Calculators".

They don't calculate much, they just add worst case TDP values and are often off way off...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

So, there's nothing I could do?

Well, thank you for help, I'll try to buy new PSU and if the problem will accure again, I will post some new info.

2 minutes ago, Imiril said:

Well, thank you for help, I'll try to buy new PSU and if the problem will accure again, I will post some new info.

No, don't

Just tell us where you live, where you can buy and how much money you have right now,

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

16 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Just tell us where you live,

16 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

and how much money you have right now

Not creepy at all :D

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

**UPDATE i solve the problem by connecting HDD and GPU to one of the PSU, and the Motherboard to another.

And i live in Europe, Poland, being honest the Aero Cool VX-450 is pretty decent PSU in the shops : /

29 minutes ago, Imiril said:

And i live in Europe, Poland, being honest the Aero Cool VX-450 is pretty decent PSU in the shops : /

What does "pretty decent PSU in the shops" mean? AeroCool VX-450 isn't a decent PSU. Being cheap doesn't make something decent.

We have SilentiumPC Vero L2 500W for 179 PLN, that's 47 PLN more than Aerocool and that's actually a decent PSU.

It was decent for a 450W PSU and i bought it on Proline for 140pln while there was cheaper Power supplies so.

Also that doesn't explain why the 400W PSU Was doing better than this two are.

Edited by Imiril
Looks like it is the cheapiest one, my bad.

17 minutes ago, Imiril said:

It was decent for a 450W PSU

Again, how is Aerocool VX-450 "decent"? Since it wasn't tested by anybody at all, how can you know for a fact that it's a decent 450W PSU?

First of all, it's not even a 450W PSU for all intents and purposes - it can only provide a measly 360W on +12V, separated between two rails (168W/192W). That already tells you much about the internal quality.

Then the fact it's group regulated, lacks any important protections, and barely has any useful cables means it's anything but a decent unit.

Compare this 140PLN unit with a Fortron FSP350GLN(GHN), a common unit found on local eBay. It has 336W on +12V, a single PCIe cable (like the Aerocool), and is probably built better than it. And it costs 45 PLN up front.

You paid 140 PLN instead of 45 PLN just to have 24W more power.

What we're trying to tell you is that buying trash PSUs - Akyga, Modecom, Aerocool - is what brought you problems in the first place. And if you keep buying trash PSUs, you'll only have more problems.

Well, someone commented on the shop, that this psu could handle a GTX 960 and I5, also the Modecom PSU was recommended from my Friend. 

Anyway, i will buy a new DECENT PSU.

7 hours ago, Imiril said:

**UPDATE i solve the problem by connecting HDD and GPU to one of the PSU, and the Motherboard to another.

No.  No it's not.  All three of those PSUs you have are absolute shit.

In Poland, SilentiumPC is going to have the best $ to quality ratio and good service/warranty.   Just don't get the Elementum.