How to fix this error?

I am using Ubuntu Gnome 16.04.4 64bit. Suddenly my system froze two times today and this error pops up. How can I fix this ?

Screenshot from 2018-05-25 23-58-07.png

7 minutes ago, Od1sseas said:

Install Windows

I switched to linux from windows. Because I was bored with it and also wanted to learn linux. :P

1 minute ago, 4klips said:

I switched to linux from windows. Because I was bored with it and also wanted to learn linux. :P

Never used Linux before but i think some system files are corrupted. Maybe downloading Ubuntu and installing it again?

Have a look in /var/log/syslog for around the time you saw the error and see if there are any hints there.

25 minutes ago, Meic said:

Have a look in /var/log/syslog for around the time you saw the error and see if there are any hints there.

There are a bunch of random alphabets are in the crash lpg file. I  am new to linux and I am unable to understand it :(

If you can open a terminal or xterm session, try typing journalctl.

I think Ubuntu is using SystemD.  I'm more a RH user so I haven't touched Ubuntu in a LONG time.

If you have time late Sat I may have to time to help remotely if you want.

gnome is quite unstable and really heavy on resources.. i recommend Xubuntu (or Lubuntu, but that has some issues like not having a compositor preinstalled, so if you're new to it i wouldn't try it)

She/Her

Gnome shell is your main desktop process. (for the gnome desktop) It should NEVER crash.. so you have something really wrong. (bad theme or bad extensions possibly?)

The package manager can force reinstall it to verify the file is ok. (something like maybe apt-get --reinstall install gnome-shell from the console.)

"Only proprietary software vendors want proprietary software." - Dexter's Law

On 5/30/2018 at 3:37 PM, firelighter487 said:

gnome is quite unstable and really heavy on resources.. i recommend Xubuntu (or Lubuntu, but that has some issues like not having a compositor preinstalled, so if you're new to it i wouldn't try it)

it's not gnome, it's the Debian family in general for that last 5 years

anw, what gpu do you have?

CPU Name: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor @4.25

Motherboard: Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING

RAM: G.Skill Flare X @3200Mhz 14-14-14-34-48-1 (tCAS-tRC-tRP-tRAS-tCS-tCR)

23 minutes ago, spider623 said:

it's not gnome, it's the Debian family in general for that last 5 years

i realize that now after trying fedora gnome without issues... 

She/Her

If you are using Wayland, then try logging in with "Gnome on X11" or somesuch.

if (c->x86_vendor != X86_VENDOR_AMD)

setup_force_cpu_bug(X86_BUG_CPU_INSECURE);

On 25/05/2018 at 9:50 PM, Od1sseas said:

Install Windows

gtfo. (that might have been to rough for you though. sorry!)

*Intel atom n455

*1 gb ram

*480 gb storage                           

*intel learning but its not teaching

On 6/15/2018 at 9:35 PM, Sam13211 said:

gtfo. (that might have been to rough for you though. sorry!)

Windows the best my friend

6 hours ago, Od1sseas said:

Windows the best my friend

well thats your preference (again sorry for that "rough" response)

*Intel atom n455

*1 gb ram

*480 gb storage                           

*intel learning but its not teaching

On 6/7/2018 at 11:42 PM, firelighter487 said:

i realize that now after trying fedora gnome without issues... 

i realized it thanks to Arch Linux, after i saw how fluid it was i was amazed, no crashes, no errors and above all, no need for a USB to fix the corrupter journal of the ext4 root partition! for some reason debian and it's derivatives don't include in there initramfs the fcsk tool that is needed to fix the corrupted journal, every time windows update you kinda need to use it but on debian, you have to use a live usb that wastes time since it's just fsck.ext4 -yf /dev/sdX ; mount /dev/sdX /new_root/ and it boots just fine!

19 hours ago, spider623 said:

i realized it thanks to Arch Linux, after i saw how fluid it was i was amazed, no crashes, no errors and above all, no need for a USB to fix the corrupter journal of the ext4 root partition! for some reason debian and it's derivatives don't include in there initramfs the fcsk tool that is needed to fix the corrupted journal, every time windows update you kinda need to use it but on debian, you have to use a live usb that wastes time since it's just fsck.ext4 -yf /dev/sdX ; mount /dev/sdX /new_root/ and it boots just fine!

That's why i do not use windows. It's just problems, problems and problems. I use arch inux + i3-gaps and never encountered problem that took me more then 2 minutes to fix it. And that was before i completed my setup. Now i never see any problem or error. I just upgrade 2-3 times a week and that's it. No errors no problems. It's rock stable. Why would i destroy this stability because of some game on windows. I just played BF3 online so stopped playing it. Now i have more time learning linux, programming and so on. end of story. If you are not making money out of it then gaming is a waste of  time, nothing else! 

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

6 hours ago, mate_mate91 said:

That's why i do not use windows. It's just problems, problems and problems. I use arch inux + i3-gaps and never encountered problem that took me more then 2 minutes to fix it. And that was before i completed my setup. Now i never see any problem or error. I just upgrade 2-3 times a week and that's it. No errors no problems. It's rock stable. Why would i destroy this stability because of some game on windows. I just played BF3 online so stopped playing it. Now i have more time learning linux, programming and so on. end of story. If you are not making money out of it then gaming is a waste of  time, nothing else! 

I'm testing now Fedora 28 after a friend recommendation, up to now i didn't have to repair the journal that is good, i will report back if the red family fixed the issue but call me impressed, it's smooth, oh and unlike Windows and arch my idles are at 28, i use an H105, they seem to keep the background to minimum that is good news for me!

1 hour ago, spider623 said:

I'm testing now Fedora 28 after a friend recommendation, up to now i didn't have to repair the journal that is good, i will report back if the red family fixed the issue but call me impressed, it's smooth, oh and unlike Windows and arch my idles are at 28, i use an H105, they seem to keep the background to minimum that is good news for me!

Are you kidding me? You really mentioned Windows and arch side by side and you said that fedora keeps background processes to minimum.

Son arch does not even come with gui. On fresh install it will have like 10-15 processes. Maybe even lower count. My current configuration full of programs, currently running firefox 16 tabs, pycharm, odoo, postgresql and some other programs i have only 55 tasks in HTOP.  My idle power draw on this thinkpad was 3.58 W at 10% brightness, wifi off,  keyboard light off. It's as minimum as it can go. On windows it was like 4W and battery reported 7.50 hours of work, on arch it reported 8.46 hours of work! And second battery was not even at 100%. Yes my laptop has 2 batteries :)

Here i have picture of that test.

all_off_screen_10%_3.58w.png

those that do backups

2 minutes ago, mate_mate91 said:

Are you kidding me? You really mentioned Windows and arch side by side and you said that fedora keeps background processes to minimum.

Son arch does not even come with gui. On fresh install it will have like 10-15 processes. Maybe even lower count. My current configuration full of programs, currently running firefox 16 tabs, pycharm, odoo, postgresql and some other programs i have only 55 tasks in HTOP.  My idle power draw on this thinkpad was 3.58 W at 10% brightness, wifi off, LAN connection, keyboard light off. It's as minimum as it can go. On windows it was like 4W and battery reported 7.50 hours of work, on arch it reported 8.46 hours of work!

all_off_screen_10%_3.58w.png

yeah i had to also mention that on arch i was running the full gnome stack, is that aws or i3?

1 minute ago, spider623 said:

yeah i had to also mention that on arch i was running the full gnome stack, is that aws or i3?

I hate GNOME, UNITY (glad it's dead now) and KDE. I like lightweight setup. My current laptop is not weak at all i5 4300U + 8 GB RAM + 256 GB SSD But still it's much faster on this kind of setup, and i am much more productive with this wm. Even my old dell laptop works with similar setup Pentium 3 1 GHZ + 256 MB RAM + 40 GB HDD + 8 MB GPU. Now imagine gnome on that :D

P.S. It's i3

those that do backups