HTC VIVE SETUP

Hey guys

So i bought a HTC Vive headset and wanted to set it all up. I have plenty of room (i remeasured twice), the base stations are above 2m and everything is according to vives description. 

But when i want to do the SteamVR setup it tells me that my room is too small, wtf?

Do you have a solution to this?

Reinstall, restart etc. didnt work either!

Thanks a heck of a lot to anyone who helps!

how big is the room?

There is a part where you need to go around the room with the controller right? Can you send a screenshot of the that part of setup?

Should look something like this:

Image result for steamvr room setup

6 minutes ago, Some Random Member said:

how big is the room?

There is a part where you need to go around the room with the controller right? Can you send a screenshot of the that part of setup?

Should look something like this:

Image result for steamvr room setup

mine is propably scaling it wrong, this is what i see:

image.png.8f56844c4d30d615d710e6ddd659827e.png

it scaled like that twice, befire and after the reinstallation.

1 minute ago, MultiDJRoni said:

mine is propably scaling it wrong, this is what i see:

it scaled like that twice, befire and after the reinstallation.

Are the sensors set up as b and c? Are they fully functioning?

Can you set the vive up as "standing only" and see if that works okay, and if the tracking is alright?

6 minutes ago, Some Random Member said:

Are the sensors set up as b and c? Are they fully functioning?

Can you set the vive up as "standing only" and see if that works okay, and if the tracking is alright?

I have tried it, and i was able to complete the setup. However, i also get this message:

image.png.218ca40ca23a1594d74d8ee664489f01.png

I get this when i start steam vr, it was also there in the setup process. Propably should have thold you that before.

I cant start any vr game still. I have no idea what to do now :S

Just now, MultiDJRoni said:

I have tried it, and i was able to complete the setup. However, i also get this message:

image.png.218ca40ca23a1594d74d8ee664489f01.png

I get this when i start steam vr, it was also there in the setup process. Propably should have thold you that before.

I cant start any vr game still. I have no idea what to do now :S

Is the error something along the lines of "compositor is not working" "click here to relaunch it"? Then click the "compositor in vollbildmodus" if that is roughly what it means.  But just to clarify: Did you only download steamvr, or did you download the official vive software also and went through the setup? https://www.vive.com/eu/setup/vive/

1 minute ago, Some Random Member said:

Is the error something along the lines of "compositor is not working" "click here to relaunch it"? Then click the "compositor in vollbildmodus" if that is roughly what it means.  But just to clarify: Did you only download steamvr, or did you download the official vive software also and went through the setup? https://www.vive.com/eu/setup/vive/

i went through the vive setup, which then with it also installed steam vr. 

Clicking the Compositor im Vollbildmodus doesnt do anything :/

Just now, MultiDJRoni said:

i went through the vive setup, which then with it also installed steam vr. 

Clicking the Compositor im Vollbildmodus doesnt do anything :/

What are the pc specs, op system etc?

When reinstalling, did you uninstall both steam, steamvr, and all the vive software first? Have you tried changing the usb port the vive is plugged into? (if it currently is in usb 3.0 port plug it into a 2.0, and vice versa)

Just now, Some Random Member said:

When reinstalling, did you uninstall both steam, steamvr, and all the vive software first? Have you tried changing the usb port the vive is plugged into? (if it currently is in usb 3.0 port plug it into a 2.0, and vice versa)

PC Spec:

i7 7700k

GTX 1080

I installed everything that was installed with the vive setup, including steam vr.

No i havent changed the usb port. Ill try it and give you an update on how its going soon. so far i am extremely thankful for your help dude!

12 minutes ago, MultiDJRoni said:

PC Spec:

i7 7700k

GTX 1080

I installed everything that was installed with the vive setup, including steam vr.

No i havent changed the usb port. Ill try it and give you an update on how its going soon. so far i am extremely thankful for your help dude!

Also have you done lots of restarts? Restarting my computer multiple times always has fixed some weird bugs for me.

12 minutes ago, MultiDJRoni said:

PC Spec:

i7 7700k

GTX 1080

15 minutes ago, Some Random Member said:

Problem still here. Also i followed this guide here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/358720/discussions/0/405692758722551560/?l=german

didnt do sh*t.... 

Why cant anything i buy work rightaway xD

Any other ideas?

2 minutes ago, MultiDJRoni said:

Problem still here. Also i followed this guide here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/358720/discussions/0/405692758722551560/?l=german

didnt do sh*t.... 

Why cant anything i buy work rightaway xD

Any other ideas?

Try this, if you haven't yet:

Head into the Settings screen in the SteamVR application.
Hold Shift and click on Devices. A link under the headset should read 'Enable Direct Mode' - Click it. Your monitors should flash black, and SteamVR will restart. If you go back to Devices, the link should now read 'Disable Direct Mode' which can be used to reverse this change.

But did you try absolutely everything? Did all the firmware updates also for the controllers and the vive? Do another restart after installing and see if that help.

Try a different hdmi port on the gpu. 

But yeah did you completely uninstall everything before reinstalling?

OR if nothing helps, there is the sure way to fix it, but it is really annoying,and that is reinstalling windows, and then only installing the vive on it and that should work.

17 minutes ago, Some Random Member said:

Try this, if you haven't yet:

Head into the Settings screen in the SteamVR application.
Hold Shift and click on Devices. A link under the headset should read 'Enable Direct Mode' - Click it. Your monitors should flash black, and SteamVR will restart. If you go back to Devices, the link should now read 'Disable Direct Mode' which can be used to reverse this change.

But did you try absolutely everything? Did all the firmware updates also for the controllers and the vive? Do another restart after installing and see if that help.

Try a different hdmi port on the gpu. 

But yeah did you completely uninstall everything before reinstalling?

OR if nothing helps, there is the sure way to fix it, but it is really annoying,and that is reinstalling windows, and then only installing the vive on it and that should work.

Why does nothing work whenever i buy it. Like EVERY SINGLE FKEN TIME. Im so pissed off right now dude...

Anyhow, meanwhile im at the point where not even the headset will get recognised. 

image.png.a46c57aafae8f0584e239deed32b91db.png

I sais that its not connected correctly. I only have one HDMI port on my GPU, and also a DP to HDMI adapther. Neither of those work.

Reinstalled, restarted again, No better results. 

Idk dude.

3 minutes ago, MultiDJRoni said:

Why does nothing work whenever i buy it. Like EVERY SINGLE FKEN TIME. Im so pissed off right now dude...

Anyhow, meanwhile im at the point where not even the headset will get recognised. 

image.png.a46c57aafae8f0584e239deed32b91db.png

I sais that its not connected correctly. I only have one HDMI port on my GPU, and also a DP to HDMI adapther. Neither of those work.

Reinstalled, restarted again, No better results. 

Idk dude.

You plugged the headset cables into the orange ports of the switchbox right?

But idk. Go over the setup one more time, and watch for all the small details. Are all the cables connected to where they are supposed to? Are graphics drivers the newest? No windows updates? etc etc  Maybe the headset is broken and needs to be RMA'd. 

1 minute ago, Some Random Member said:

You plugged the headset cables into the orange ports of the switchbox right?

But idk. Go over the setup one more time, and watch for all the small details. Are all the cables connected to where they are supposed to? Are graphics drivers the newest? No windows updates? etc etc  Maybe the headset is broken and needs to be RMA'd. 

Ill check everything again and ive you an update.

@Some Random Member Alright i finally figured it out. Somehow after the 5th reinstallation and enabling the direct thingy it FINALLY worked!

Honestly, thank you so much for your help and quick answers, i really really do appreciate that!

Thave a great day!

1 minute ago, MultiDJRoni said:

@Some Random Member Alright i finally figured it out. Somehow after the 5th reinstallation and enabling the direct thingy it FINALLY worked!

Honestly, thank you so much for your help and quick answers, i really really do appreciate that!

Thave a great day!

Enjoy your new Vive!

If you have any further questions about vr etc DM me, but ill let you enter the world of pure imagination now.

PS: I would suggest trying the Budget Cut free demo, it is still my favourite VR game, and the full game should release somewhere around summer!