I know this is one of the common issues and you see hundreds of youtube videos on it, but I thought i should come to a community that I trust and we have a main forum on it. Basically my PC is saying "Unidentified network" when connected directly to my modem, I troubleshooted the issue and I got under "Problems found" : "Ethernet doesnt have a valid ipconfiguration" and what Im using [my laptop] is the only way for me to use internet besides my cell.

So i used to have this issue and im not sure if this will help or not but have you gotten a new modem any time soon?

Just now, Dreaper said:

So i used to have this issue and im not sure if this will help or not but have you gotten a new modem any time soon?

I havent gotten a new modem recently but coustomer support from my ISP came over and said my modem was up to date.

2 minutes ago, Daniel Davis said:

I havent gotten a new modem recently but coustomer support from my ISP came over and said my modem was up to date.

What ISP? 

Just now, Daniel Davis said:

Xfinity 150 down 15 up

Ok last question have you ever worked for them? 

1 minute ago, Dreaper said:

Ok last question have you ever worked for them? 

No, I dont see how this pertains to my issue.

1 minute ago, Daniel Davis said:

No, I dont see how this pertains to my issue.

Ok so it could because when you leave a ISP they give a grace period of when you still get free Internet so they run into issues when the time runs out and the acct and stuff like that. How long has the issue been happening?

This issue has been happening since I formatted my PC and reinstalled windows about 1-2 hrs ago. Internet works fine on any other device including the one Im using now.[My laptop]

1 minute ago, Daniel Davis said:

This issue has been happening since I formatted my PC and reinstalled windows about 1-2 hrs ago. Internet works fine on any other device including the one Im using now.[My laptop]

Yeah then my fix wouldnt work sorry :/ 

4 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

have you tried to set your ip manually?

How should I do that and what should I set it to?

First, look up in your router with a diferent pc what ip the rest is on, then try to set a static ip for it.

for exemple, if your devices are on 192.168.2.x, use something that isn't used yet on that height.

on the pc you can find the settings to set a manual ip in the settings, adapter, ethernet, ipv4, IP

the subnet is 255.255.255.0 most of the times.

the console of your router could be found in the manual or on the internet

also, if you're in the ipv4 settings, set your dns to 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1

it's really good

I had that problem, then I ran all the different troubleshooting things in Windows. For internet there is about 3. And one if them fixed it for me.

Dont have another computer with ethernet so I cannot connect directly to the modem.

10 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

First, look up in your router with a diferent pc what ip the rest is on, then try to set a static ip for it.

for exemple, if your devices are on 192.168.2.x, use something that isn't used yet on that height.

on the pc you can find the settings to set a manual ip in the settings, adapter, ethernet, ipv4, IP

the subnet is 255.255.255.0 most of the times.

the console of your router could be found in the manual or on the internet

How do I identify the default gateway?

Inputed everything into the IPV4 settings and still an unidentified network...

12 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

have you tried to run the troubleshooter after?

Ive been updating my steps with the trouble shooter consistently. 

okay, start cmd (command prompt) admin.

first command: netsh winsock reset

second command: netsh int ip reset

then just restart

4 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

okay, start cmd (command prompt) admin.

first command: netsh winsock reset

second command: netsh int ip reset

then just restart

I did both of those commands just as you posted them, restarted as well and still have the "Unidentified Network" issue

the last thing I could think about is to update your drivers, and maybe softreset your router. if that doesn't work. check the port on your router and switch a bit

2 minutes ago, Daniel Davis said:

I did both of those commands just as you posted them, restarted as well and still have the "Unidentified Network" issue

Have you factory reset the potato, I mean, modem from Xfinity? If not, do that next as it could be failing to lease an IP via DHCP to your computer for whatever reason. Do a factory reset on the modem and reboot your computer at the same time with the ethernet cable unplugged, then plug it back in once everything has rebooted and you've confirmed internet works on other devices.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)