Help deleting partitions !

Cazan

hey guys i'm trying to format an hdd for my cousin's laptop since it was stuck on windows repair mode and the reset allways failed. So i plugged it in my PC and noticed it had some partitions i cant delete and it just says "help" ? wat can i do ? i'm currently formating the biggest partition but i would like to delete and merge all the other ones :) 

Spoiler

5b05ec4d89e44_SemTtulo.png.ed9f7b591fad6155cdc072d546335281.png

Rather than deleting individual partitions, reformat the whole drive.

Open a command prompt as Administrator, then type:

C:\Windows\system32>diskpart
DISKPART> list disk
DISKPART> select disk *number of disk from friends machine"
DISKPART> clean

Be very careful that you select the right disk when you use this, as you'll break your main system partitioning if you do it on your own internal disk.

If you want help, take screenshots and post here before using the "clean" command.

@Tabs sould i do that only when it finishes to format the biggest partition right ? 

6 minutes ago, Cazan said:

@Tabs sould i do that only when it finishes to format the biggest partition right ? 

I'd recommend you cancel the formatting process. It isn't going to matter in the end, since you'll need to re-create the partition table afterwards in Disk Management, and then format the new partition.

Here's a tip though: *always* do a quick format unless you have concerns over data retention. Otherwise, it will take a very long time since hard disks are so large nowadays.

@Tabs its only a 500gb disk and yes i have concerns about data retention since its to give to another person and to do a better "cleaning" job i chose to full format it , 

5 minutes ago, Cazan said:

@Tabs its only a 500gb disk and yes i have concerns about data retention since its to give to another person and to do a better "cleaning" job i chose to full format it , 

In that case, you should still cancel the procedure, and after you've cleaned the disk in Diskpart, perform a slow format of the new partition - there's no point in doing the process twice.

CCleaner>Tools>Drive Wiper> choose entire drive simple overwrite and make sure the correct drive is selected

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

1 hour ago, Tabs said:

In that case, you should still cancel the procedure, and after you've cleaned the disk in Diskpart, perform a slow format of the new partition - there's no point in doing the process twice.

it all went well but i think i shouldnt have deleted those since they were the laptops recovery partitions and now it doenst let me install win10 .... should i transplant the laptop hdd to my pc again and try to install win 10 here and then put it back to the laptop and see if it boots ? i tried booting from usb in the bios  with a 64 bit version of win 10 but idk if the laptop cpu is 32 bit or 64 bit ... it came with win 8 ... will this matter ?

1 minute ago, Cazan said:

it all went well but i think i shouldnt have deleted those since they were the laptops recovery partitions and now it doenst let me install win10 .... should i transplant the laptop hdd to my pc again and try to install win 10 here and then put it back to the laptop and see if it boots ? i tried booting from usb in the bios  with a 64 bit version of win 10 but idk if the laptop cpu is 32 bit or 64 bit ... it came with win 8 ... will this matter ?

If it ran Windows 8 it's almost definitely a 64-bit capable CPU.  Booting from USB is the right approach, since if you restored from the recovery image it would reinstall all the OEM crap that the machine shipped with. Download the latest version of Windows 10 from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10, generate a USB drive using Rufus (that way you can tailor the usb to the laptop), and it should work fine.

If you need any help, I'll be around for another hour or so, feel free to tag me here or send a PM.

I really recommend against trying to install Windows 10 on the drive when it's connected to your desktop. Theoretically it will work, but there are so many things that could go wrong, up to and including making your own machine unbootable. It just isn't worth the hassle.