Dual Booting Windows 10 & Linux on an SSD

Hi, I was wondering if it was possible to dual boot windows 10 and linux on a single laptop SSD. I currently have a Kingston 256gb SSDinside my lenovo ideapad 110 as well as a 1tb HDD (I forgot rpm) Is it possible to dual boot Windows 10 (primary os) and linux mint (secondary) on a single SSD? I have both boot sticks on hand but can't figure out way to have both bootable if it's even possible

Screenshot (1).png

-- Moved to Storage Devices --

This is far from the "Tech News and Reviews" subforum, please post in appropriate subforums next time.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

First install one OS, but partition the drive to your desired size (example 100GB) then install the second OS to the remaining 150GB

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

I could have sworn I changed that to storage... My bad.

3 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

First install one OS, but partition the drive to your desired size (example 100GB) then install the second OS to the remaining 150GB

Would there be an issue if I had the Windows 10 formatted as NTFS and the Linux as FAT(32)? I have enough space for either it's just a matter of installing. When I previously tried this, the Linux would over-right the Windows.

no, you just need to partition the drive, into 2 different volumes one is NTFS, one is FAT32.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

1 minute ago, The Benjamins said:

no, you just need to partition the drive, into 2 different volumes one is NTFS, one is FAT32.

So referring back to my screen shot, what partition would I format into FAT32?

Shrink the C drive to about 50-100gb depending on how much storage you need for linux. You dont need to format it, it can stay unallocated. Boot the linux installation and choose the install linux next to windows or something else (im not entirely sure on the option.) Then you'll be able to choose the partitions. You'll need to make some more linux partitions for root and swap. I usually ask google for the capacity for each.

This is the error I got during the mint install.

Screenshot from 2018-05-23 14-17-08.png

Spoiler

Uhh yeah... i never installed Mint so uhmm...did you try restarting it? JK

maybe the Iso image had some errors, how about trying another image or an older release?

Im not sure if its related to this but did you turn off all the fast/secure boot options in your BIOS? Usually people reccomend turning off fast boot because it messes with some Linux installs, and grub is something that could probably trigger it.

Ok cool, thanks. I'll try these later.