Internet goes down when my PC powers up

Hello everyone! I have been having this strange issue lately with my setup. I have a Dlink 2750U modem + router that is connected to my PC using ethernet and the rest of the devices connect to it via WiFi including 1 laptop and 4 smartphones. So as soon as my PC starts up, my internet goes down, the indicator lights for both link and internet turn off and the router tries to reconnect to the internet.Sometimes I even have to restart the router manually whenever this happens as it is not able to connect to the internet. This happens almost all the time. And it only happens with my PC and only when it is connected via ethernet. This happens when my PC starts up either from hibernate mode or shutdown mode, restart does not cause this as it already has when the PC first started up.

I have tried resetting the router, reconfiguring it, checking if DHCP is on, reinstalling Windows, reinstalling router firmware but nothing works. Also, I thought it might be an issue with the PC but connecting it to the router using USB tethering on my Android which is connected via WiFi, works just fine.

I have also tried changing the cable, trying all four of the ethernet ports that the router provides to no avail. Since it never happens when other devices that connect using WiFi start up or shutdown, I am starting to think this might be an issue with the ethernet portion of the router or it might be going bust. It is around 4-5 years old.

Anyone of you ever faced this? Any help would be appreciated. I am thinking of buying a wireless USB adapter if nothing works, as I cannot just keep restarting my router every time I have to use my PC. Thanks in advance!

BIOS update, Ethernet controller/card update. 

Sounds like its killing the router, like its putting out a current somehow down the lan cable to the router.

If that doesn't solve it you might want to get a new router.

Probably gaming or helping technophobes with tech...

3 minutes ago, userzero said:

BIOS update, Ethernet controller/card update. 

Sounds like its killing the router, like its putting out a current somehow down the lan cable to the router.

If that doesn't solve it you might want to get a new router.

Thanks for the quick reply! I am already on the latest BIOS available for my motherboard, Gigabyte H81M-S, and the ethernet controller is built into the board itself. So, it looks like the router is at fault right?

Also I have noticed this has been happening since around the time my ISP upgraded the internet speed to 10 mbps. Earlier it used to be 4 mbps. Yet the router is connected to internet for days without fault except when I start up my PC.

Ok well that rules out the board then. It doesn't rule out a faulty ethernet controller/port though. My money's on the router going faulty though, or perhaps some bad cabling to the house or within.

I'd start with a new router and go from there mate :)

3 hours ago, userzero said:

Ok well that rules out the board then. It doesn't rule out a faulty ethernet controller/port though. My money's on the router going faulty though, or perhaps some bad cabling to the house or within.

I'd start with a new router and go from there mate :)

Yeah well! I guess I'll get a wireless USB adapter then, since the WiFi mode seems to be working fine. And then hop on to a new router if there's any trouble there. Thanks for the help! :)

Well if the WiFi is good enough of what you're doing then all good eh. Personally I always go cabled because of local networking needs etc. Hope you get it sorted :)