random drive appeared

Versti

So, few days ago my Windows 10 decided to update (as usual), and when I turned on my PC after the update I kept getting notifications that my drive is full, i knew that something was wrong, because no way I have already filled 1TB, I went to "This PC" to check it out, and I found a random drive there, I DIDNT plug in any drives/USBs nothing. image.thumb.png.ecedc2f833553b03eb2b652cf189b0a2.png

It's really annoying because I get alot of notifications saying that it's full.

I tried to open it.. but there's NOTHING in the drive, which makes it even weirder... image.png.998cae9c9e69d22be673f0e78dacb35a.png

Hi Versti,

Would be worthwhile checking Disk Management (accessible by "Start > Run > diskmgmt.msc" or right-click on Start and select Disk Management) to see if your physical disk had a hidden partition which was given a drive letter by accident.

CH.

Edited by ChristopherH
Added another way to access Disk Management.

5 minutes ago, ChristopherH said:

Hi Versti,

Would be worthwhile checking Disk Management (Start > Run > diskmgmt.msc) to see if your physical disk had a hidden partition which was given a drive letter by accident.

CH.

i know NOTHING about hard drives ;p, but this is what showed up.. if it helps to diagnose the problem image.thumb.png.4ed8e6c1251920e41f0312e18c52a768.png

Happens when Windows Updates to 1803

start cmd as admin
start - type cmd - rightlick it - run as admin

diskpart

list volume

identify the drive letter for the drive in question

select volume X

remove letter=X

exit

exit

maybe restart after

do not delete or remove the drive entirely - windows restore magic and other crap happens there

6 minutes ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

Happens when Windows Updates to 1803

start cmd as admin
start - type cmd - rightlick it - run as admin

diskpart

list volume

identify the drive letter for the drive in question

select volume X

remove letter=X

exit

exit

maybe restart after

image.png.da8a49117b5024b770918955153f58e7.pngworked, much appreciated <3

1 minute ago, Versti said:

i know NOTHING about hard drives ;p, but this is what showed up.. if it helps to diagnose the problem image.thumb.png.4ed8e6c1251920e41f0312e18c52a768.png

For the record (and anyone else who might come across this in the future), you can right-click on the partition in Disk Management, select "Change Drive Letter and Paths", select the drive letter and click on "Remove".

6 minutes ago, ChristopherH said:

For the record (and anyone else who might come across this in the future), you can right-click on the partition in Disk Management, select "Change Drive Letter and Paths", select the drive letter and click on "Remove".

I believe that is only true as long as you are by default admin on the machine in question - which you shouldn't be for obvious reasons :-)

Just now, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

I believe that is only true as long as you are by default admin on the machine in question - which you shouldn't be for obvious reasons :-)

Any user account who has admin privileges can access Disk Management, same as Command Prompt as Admin ;)

17 minutes ago, ChristopherH said:

Any user account who has admin privileges can access Disk Management, same as Command Prompt as Admin ;)

that's the reason I mentioned it in the first place. Never mind redundant info... :-)