Processor Upgrade

Hey Gang,

I want to do an upgrade but NOT buy an entirely new PC.  Here is the motherboard I have now, what is the fastest processor I can put on this board and what other changes might I need to make to get a few more years out of this current rig?

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_P67/

Current Rig - i-2500K - 212+ - Sabertooth P67 - EVGA GTX 970 SSC - 8GB Ram - HAF 932

The best you could get without getting a new motherboard is an i7-2600K.

If you got a new motherboard, you could go all the way up the i7-4790K.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

you could go all the way up the i7-4790K.

I don't see any point in that though,I know RAM prices are high but at that point you might as well just buy DDR4 and call it a day.

My life

2 minutes ago, Himommies said:

I don't see any point in that though,I know RAM prices are high but at that point you might as well just buy DDR4 and call it a day.

It'll last another couple years.

RAM prices were a heavy consideration when I wrote that post, I doubt the OP would want to spend money on a new board, CPU, and DDR4.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

It'll last another couple years.

RAM prices were a heavy consideration when I wrote that post, I doubt the OP would want to spend money on a new board, CPU, and DDR4.

I mean,your going to get DDR4 at some point right,plus the 6700k and the 4790k are almost the exact same price on ebay,so if your gonna upgrade,and z170 mobos are like 20-30 bucks cheaper than z97

My life

19 minutes ago, DarthNeo1964 said:

Hey Gang,

I want to do an upgrade but NOT buy an entirely new PC.  Here is the motherboard I have now, what is the fastest processor I can put on this board and what other changes might I need to make to get a few more years out of this current rig?

Current Rig - i-2500K - 212+ - Sabertooth P67 - EVGA GTX 970 SSC - 8GB Ram - HAF 932

With a bios update that board supports a i7 3770k

Spoiler

The Daily:

ST-box:

Cpu: R5 5600X  Memory: 32GB DDR4 3600Mhz  Gpu: Rtx 2060 Super  Psu: RMx650  Storage: 256GB Nvme (OS), 1TB 2,5" SSD, 2x 480GB 2,5" SSD and 1TB HDD

Lenovo Yoga 14"

Cpu: R3 2200U  Memory: 8GB DDR4  Gpu: integrated Vega 3  Storage: 128GB m.2 SSD

Retired PC's:

Asus gl502vm

Cpu: i7 7700HQ  Memory: 16GB DDR4 Gpu: Gtx 1060 6GB Storage: 256GB M.2 and 480 GB Corsair force 2.5 inch

B-box 1.5:

Cpu: i7 860@3.8ghz  Memory: 16 GB DDR3  Mobo: ASUS P7P55D  Gpu: Gtx 660  Psu: CX600  Case: Random atx case  Storage: 128 gb ssd + 4 TB of hdd's

Dell prebuilt:

Cpu: i5 750@stock  Memory: 8 GB DDR3  Mobo: Dell  Gpu: HD 5670  Psu: Chicony 350w  Case: Dell studio XPS  Storage: 2.25 TB of hdd's

6 hours ago, DarthNeo1964 said:

Hey Gang,

what you want is an i7-3770

Do a BIOS update before you get rid of the core i5

i would then to 16GB of system memory if at all possible..

after that you could upgrade to a GTX 1080 level graphics card...likely a next gen one if possible if they fkn come out someday.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR