60Gb JP PS3 Blinking Red Light

I bought a Japanese 60Gb PS2 compatible PS3 and I did a long PS2 gaming session on it then didn't use it for a while, when I went back to it it worked but then crashed and now has a blinking red light, the front LED shows green yellow then blinks red

does anyone know what the problem is? I've been told it's too much dust build up which is possible but I've also  read that it is solder points cracking to which people fix with a heatgun or hairdryer

dont try to fix it with a heatgun or hairdryer! as lewis rossman demonstrated, heatguns are not the correct tool IF you wanted to reflow it!

hairdryers dont even get up to the temperature to melt solder i believe.

if solderpoints are cracking it should still work when you apply a bit of force on the chip

Both are very possible, overheating or oxidized/stress-cracked solder (from extreme heat cycles). While cleaning dust and/or reapplying TIM will likely solve overheating issues, heating the mainboard to melt solder doesn't have a high success rate and is not really a long term fix like proper reflow using flux to clean out oxidation and ensuring solder integrity. If it's dead anyway though, a failed attempt won't be much of a loss.

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

4 minutes ago, meenmeen1103 said:

Both are very possible, overheating or oxidized/stress-cracked solder (from extreme heat cycles). While cleaning dust and/or reapplying TIM will likely solve overheating issues, heating the mainboard to melt solder doesn't have a high success rate and is not really a long term fix like proper reflow using flux to clean out oxidation and ensuring solder integrity. If it's dead anyway though, a failed attempt won't be much of a loss.

I don't have the tools or knowledge to reflow chips, I'm not even really sure what that is, I can take the console apart clean it and put it back together but that is as far as I go, which I don't even know if a straight clean would fix it