Recoding without using passthrough

So currently I use a elgato HD60s to record and stream from my PC. Im looking to buy a new monitor but i have the issue of the HD60s having a 1080p max passthrough resolution. I was wondering if I would be able to either run my monitor off of display port while also recording on the HD60 over HDMI? Would it still be able to record if i jsut run two display outputs from my computer? 

What u want is a HDMI splitter (not switch), you get them with 2 or more outputs. 

If you use an Nvidia card and have a spare HDMI out port you could plug an HD60 into that and "clone" the monitor to both the HD60 and your main gaming display. Here's how mine is set up. I route my display to my Pioneer VSX AV Switcher/amp for my sound (Using HDMI-out). But it also has a separate switcher (called HDZone) which I use to route either my desktop or one of my consoles to my Avermedia capture box for streaming.

scaO7Tc.png

I personally don't like using the pass-through to play with as some devices I've used int he past still introduce some latency or change the colour (squashing from 0-255 to 16-235).

I also have a couple of USB-powered HDMI splitters. Especially for their non-advertised use of stripping out HDCP from consoles so I can capture them. Why consoles still do this, I do not know.

EDIT: Also occured to me that if you're using a resolution higher than 1080P, the capture box probably won't support it anyway.

40 minutes ago, whistleblower52 said:

Im looking to buy a new monitor but i have the issue of the HD60s having a 1080p max passthrough resolution.

30 minutes ago, Pyrii said:

Also occured to me that if you're using a resolution higher than 1080P, the capture box probably won't support it anyway.

this could turn into an issue because no matter if you do the cloning via a spare HDMI port on the GPU or a HDMI splitter - the resolution the clone port sends out will be identical to what the monitor will get - so if you want to drive a 1440p monitor at native resolution there is a good chance your capture card does not even know what to do with a 1440p signal 

18 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

this could turn into an issue because no matter if you do the cloning via a spare HDMI port on the GPU or a HDMI splitter - the resolution the clone port sends out will be identical to what the monitor will get - so if you want to drive a 1440p monitor at native resolution there is a good chance your capture card does not even know what to do with a 1440p signal 

Modern Windows editions actually allow you to clone 1440p monitors to 1080p monitors, the lower resolution monitor will just show a downscaled image.

7 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

Modern Windows editions actually allow you to clone 1440p monitors to 1080p monitors, the lower resolution monitor will just show a downscaled image.

did not know that - thanks - this makes things a lot easier.

then just connect the capture card to a HDMI out on your graphics card and connect the monitor to another HDMI, display port or whatever else your monitor has.