Sony Vegas 15 painfully slow renders vs faster Vegas 11

Hi all,

I recently upgraded from Vegas Pro 11 to Vegas Pro 15 and the render times in the new Vegas are unbelievably slow.

With Vegas 11 I can render 1080p in real time. A 5 minute video will render within 5 minutes or sometimes less. However, in Vegas 15, the same 5 minute video (literally the same clip) takes 40 - 50 minutes to render. Same video, same format, same settings in properties as far as I can see. Frame rate is the same and I've disabled sampling.

Here is what I have:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
Intel Core i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz
16.0GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570

I'm at a loss here and I feel I've wasted the money on the upgrade.

If anyone has a fix for this, I'm all ears.

Thank you.

The hardware requirements of VEGAS 15 state the following

PC Minimum System Requirements:  
  • Processor:   2 GHz processor
  • RAM:   4 GB RAM
  • Hard Disk:   1.5 GB hard-disk space for program installation
  • Video Card:   512 MB GPU memory, Supported NVIDIA, AMD or Intel GPU (as listed below)
  • Supported OS:   Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7
  • Additional Requirements:   Internet connection: Required for activating and validating the program.
    Program requires one-time registration. 

NVIDIA: 
    Requires a CUDA-enabled GPU and driver 270.xx or later.
    • GeForce GPUs: GeForce GTX 4xx Series or higher (or GeForce GT 2xx Series or higher with driver 285.62 or later).
    • Quadro GPUs: Quadro 600 or higher (or Quadro FX 1700 or higher with driver 285.62 or later).
    NVIDIA recommends NVIDIA Quadro for professional applications and recommends use of the latest boards based on the Fermi architecture.

AMD/ATI:
    Requires an OpenCL-enabled GPU and Catalyst driver 11.7 or later with a Radeon HD 57xx or higher GPU. If using a FirePro GPU, FirePro unified driver 8.85 or later is required.

Intel:
    Requires an OpenCL-enabled GPU such as HD Graphics 4000.
    Intel Skylake or newer processor required for QSV accelerated 8-bit HEVC/AVC decoding and encoding, Intel KabyLake or newer processor required for QSV accelerated 10-bit HEVC encoding and decoding

I'd say make sure your driver is up to date (the 570 seems like it should be better than a 4xx Series card...), make sure CUDA isn't disabled on your card in the driver (not sure how as I have an AMD card and am not familiar with GeForce drivers), and I'm assuming that card has >512MB RAM.

But, since it still works but just takes 10x longer, I'd say it's a driver or CUDA issue. I'd start there. Hope it helps.

On 5/18/2018 at 3:53 AM, sanosuke001 said:

The hardware requirements of VEGAS 15 state the following

I'd say make sure your driver is up to date (the 570 seems like it should be better than a 4xx Series card...), make sure CUDA isn't disabled on your card in the driver (not sure how as I have an AMD card and am not familiar with GeForce drivers), and I'm assuming that card has >512MB RAM.

But, since it still works but just takes 10x longer, I'd say it's a driver or CUDA issue. I'd start there. Hope it helps.

After your post I went on a hunt and found that when I actually go to render, despite allowing GPU rendering being checked and the graphic card being selected, it doesn't allow me to choose any option to render. There is just one, MainConcept AVC.  11 gives me a drop down to choose CPU or GPU. 

Strange and frustrating, but that's the problem.

Thanks for helping me narrow it down. Now I need to figure out how to get the options to show again. From what I'm seeing online I should be seeing a Magix AVC option, but that's not there either.

You might have it in "internal GPU" mode where it isn't correctly switching to the discrete GPU. I'm not super familiar with it but I know some of our laptops at work have the same issue and there's an application ("Optimus" or something?) that you can run another application from to force it to use the discrete GPU.

Otherwise, I'm not sure. Try to Vegas support? Good luck :/