CPU fan speed error causes overheating

Hi,
So I've got an error on startup with my bios that prevents me to boot into windows, but it's actually much more complicated so here's the full story...  

So a month ago, I helped a friend build a new gaming computer, and it wasn't booting, so I decided to test if it was the ram by taking one of my ram sticks from my pc and putting it in his. It wasn't the RAM... So I then put the RAM stick back into my PC (It is important to note I did drop it from a height of about 20cm before that), and that's when I started having a bad day (or a bad month if you prefer).  

I then booted my computer, and it just didn't want to boot, it told me that I had an incorrect CPU fan speed. So I googled the error, and it told me I had to disable CPU fan speed monitoring in bios. So I did that even though it sounded stupid, and it was then willing to boot into windows...  

So you must think it's all over right ? Not even close...  
I pulled up HWMonitor to monitor temps as I didn't like what I just disabled, and my temps were shooting up to 90° C with my 0.5GHZ overclock. Now that was idling, whereas idling before I was staying just about 2 degrees above room temperature. So logically enough, I reset my bios overclock and forced max speed on all my PC's fans to try and get the temps down. And now, my pc is sounding like a fricking jumbo jet, and still staying at 60° idle and about 70 to 85 under load (VR games, code compiling...)  

So obviously, what I want is my computer to be quiet again, and have good temperatures (I used to be able to run AIDA64 for a day with my overclock and not go past 60°C)  

Here are my specs and what I tried :  
I7 6700K  
Corsair H100i  
Asus Maximus VIII Hero  
MSI GTX1070  
(ask if you need additional specs)  
I tried checking all my connections to the MOBO and my thermal paste was just replaced to weeks before the test (I did the aida64 tests right after, so that's not the problem)  
I recently tried re-enabling the bios option but it still prevented me to boot so I had to disable it again. I did check to see if my pump was running, and it does (annoying loud coil whine... don't buy corsair coolers... EVER) and it's fan's are running full speed.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated  

Mindoodoo

have you tried running it without the ram stick you dropped ? just run it with the 1 ram stick that you didn't take out the pc ?

Edited by Brett_Bst

I7 7700K @5.0ghz, Asus Z270-P, Corsair H115i, hyperX 16gb, Asus duel 1070, Nzxt H440

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZTsYD8

13 minutes ago, Brett_Bst said:

have you tried running it without the ram stick you dropped ? just run it with the 1 ram stick that you didn't take out the pc ?

Now since it was a little over a month ago, I don't quite remember... I think so, but I'll try that again tomorrow

3 minutes ago, mindoodoo said:

Now since it was a little over a month ago, I don't quite remember... I think so, but I'll try that again tomorrow

I would try that just to see what happens, good luck

I7 7700K @5.0ghz, Asus Z270-P, Corsair H115i, hyperX 16gb, Asus duel 1070, Nzxt H440

Is your pump plugged into the CPU header? It's odd that you suddenly had a CPU fan error after getting into the PC. AIO fans plugged into aio or Mobo?

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

9 minutes ago, asand1 said:

Is your pump plugged into the CPU header? It's odd that you suddenly had a CPU fan error after getting into the PC. AIO fans plugged into aio or Mobo?

Since I'm not near my computer I'll have to get back to you on the pump, otherwise I'm almost sure the fans (2 in my case) are plugged into cables protruding from the pump.

10 hours ago, Brett_Bst said:

Tried it, still gave me the same error if monitoring was enabled and still bad temps if disabled. Any other ideas ?

first thing I would look at is the h100i, check its running and flowing ? turn it up to max speed using the Corsair Link software. if its all pluged in correctly it will tell you the pump speed, fan speed and coolent temp

2 hours ago, Brett_Bst said:

first thing I would look at is the h100i, check its running and flowing ? turn it up to max speed using the Corsair Link software. if its all pluged in correctly it will tell you the pump speed, fan speed and coolent temp

This.

If you are getting a fan speed error it's because it's not running or connected improperly.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

I checked all the fans/pump speeds for the H100i, but they were all running correctly. For now I've switched to a stock intel cooler, thats getting me better speeds believe it or not.

Could be the coolant has evaporated or gelled causing a plug? Strange but if fans and pump are running then it's gotta be coolant.

Black Knight-

Daughter's Rig;

But the weird thing is that it appeared between 2 reboots, when I removed the RAM stick.