Windows update did something

Docretier

after updating windows last week (didnt try to fix until now), things got screwy with my desktop. shortcuts lost their ties, and apparently i need admin permission to move stuff from the desktop to another drive but it denies me. also the quick access tab it empty now in file explorer and the one drive logo is gone(just a small box now). and chrome is giving me a profile error. wtf windows. i already planned a reinstall once i figure out how to move files off my desktop, so any help with that would be appreciated.

if you know how to use Linux you can use a live usb to move files over. 

She/Her

Do you happen to have Intel or Toshiba SSD? I am asking because Microsoft is now blocking this Windows update from being installed on those systems until fixed.

Microsoft is working with both to resolve the issue.  I am wondering if you got the update before the block was put.

If not,

What anti-virus are you using? If its not Windows Defender, did you uninstall it before starting the update?

Assuming you didn't delete Windows.old folder, or the time period experienced, you can revert back to the old system.

Please note that if your system is overclocked, especially memory, and not truly stable, things can break due to errors under certain situations such as Windows update. Are you doing any big overclocking?

39 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Do you happen to have Intel or Toshiba SSD? I am asking because Microsoft is now blocking this Windows update from being installed on those systems until fixed.

Microsoft is working with both to resolve the issue.  I am wondering if you got the update before the block was put.

If not,

What anti-virus are you using? If its not Windows Defender, did you uninstall it before starting the update?

Assuming you didn't delete Windows.old folder, or the time period experienced, you can revert back to the old system.

Please note that if your system is overclocked, especially memory, and not truly stable, things can break due to errors under certain situations such as Windows update. Are you doing any big overclocking?

I have a crucial ssd, not Intel or Toshiba. Avast antivirus is my antivirus, although once I reinstall I probably wont download it. Didn't delete windows.old. no overclock. Revert fixed the admin locked files on desktop but that's it. I will get everything I want saved then reinstall.

3 minutes ago, Docretier said:

I have a crucial ssd, not Intel or Toshiba. Avast antivirus is my antivirus, although once I reinstall I probably wont download it. Didn't delete windows.old. no overclock. Revert fixed the admin locked files on desktop but that's it. I will get everything I want saved then reinstall.

Never mind, nothing changed. It's all still screwed up