I am stuck with how to put in my case fans

Jesse Wood

This is my first build and am really confused about the case fans. The screws that came with the fan a quite a bit bigger than the holes in the case. It this always the case? If not, how do I fix this.

If these screws came with the fans, then they are right.

These fans screws are designed to drill into the plastic casing for tight fit.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

9 minutes ago, jj9987 said:

If these screws came with the fans, then they are right.

These fans screws are designed to drill into the plastic casing for tight fit.

I know the screws have to self tap through the plastic of the fan but it's the holes in the case that are quite a bit smaller

15 minutes ago, Jesse Wood said:

I know the screws have to self tap through the plastic of the fan but it's the holes in the case that are quite a bit smaller

Where on what case? Can you post some photos?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

You’re meant to screw the screws in. So the hole will be as big as the gaps in the screw. So the hole looks smaller.

23 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Where on what case? Can you post some photos?

The case is the Silverstone Redline RL06 

That is a pic of the screw beside the hole

20180515_211823.jpg

Those small holes are not for mounting fans. The larger ones above and down are the correct places. Metal part stays between screw head and the fan.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

7 hours ago, Jesse Wood said:

The Tic Tac pill looking slots are the fan mounting holes.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

7 hours ago, Jesse Wood said:

20180515_211823.jpg

Like said above, you are suppose to use those elongated holes. There are so many of them so you can install different size fans and radiators.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

make sure to draw the air from the front out the back if you want to keep your air moving the same drawing clean air in and if your case has it make sure the air intake has a filter. and clean it regularly.

a note that air pressure will affect how dust free your pc is.