Should I do an external build?

TheSportkid24

Hello all,

I recently received the parts for my first rig. I was originally going to do an external build so I could make sure everything worked, but now I am not so sure. I am going to be using:

Bitfenix Prodigy

Maximus VI Impact

EVGA 780 Ti

i7 4770k

Corsair H80i

Corsair AX760

Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2x8GB)

Samsung 840 Evo 250GB

WD Black 3TB

3 Noctua NF-S12A PWM replacement fans for the stock fans

------

So I was wondering if it is worth it to do an external build for this because I would have to partially install the H80i for the test boot.

Thanks and happy holidays!

Hello all,

I recently received the parts for my first rig. I was originally going to do an external build so I could make sure everything worked, but now I am not so sure. I am going to be using:

Bitfenix Prodigy

Maximus VI Impact

EVGA 780 Ti

i7 4770k

Corsair H80i

Corsair AX760

Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2x8GB)

Samsung 840 Evo 250GB

WD Black 3TB

3 Noctua NF-S12A PWM replacement fans for the stock fans

------

So I was wondering if it is worth it to do an external build for this because I would have to partially install the H80i for the test boot.

Thanks and happy holidays!

You wouldn't have to install the H80 for a test boot. You can just use the stock intel heatsink in the box. I would probably do a test boot considering you are building in the Prodigy and it would be a pain if it didn't work after you put everything in.

CPU: i7-4770k CPU Cooler: NH-D14 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb GPU: EVGA Superclocked 780 ti MOBO: ASUS Maximus VI Gene PSU: Corsair RM 850 Case: Bitfenix Prodigy M

Would the pre-applied thermal paste on the stock cooler mess up the thermal conductivity when the H80i goes on it?

You wouldn't have to install the H80 for a test boot. You can just use the stock intel heatsink in the box. I would probably do a test boot considering you are building in the Prodigy and it would be a pain if it didn't work after you put everything in.

Would putting the stock cooler on mess up the thermal conductivity once the H80i is put on?

Would putting the stock cooler on mess up the thermal conductivity once the H80i is put on?

You can remove the thermal paste when you want to put on the H80i with some 70-90% rubbing alcohol and paper towels. Using the stock heatsink should effect the H80i at all. Here is a full guide on how to remove the paste: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/333968-28-thermal-paste-removal-installation-guide

Spoiler

If you have the time/effort to build it outside on your ghetto test bench then go for it - however, if you're lazy (i.e. me) just wing it and build it your case from the start. 

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini