dangle my hard drive?

cheiften98

so my case only has 2 hard drive bays and  i have 2 2tb hdd's that im gonna run in raid. i have a 1tb hdd and a lot of my applications and games are on this. i want to reuse the hard drive in my dad's pc i just built him.

i was thinking could i put my hard drive in the bottom, not mounted for a few days so i can transfer all of the files. i wasnt sure if it would shake around din the case lol and get damaged xD

Ryzen 5 5600x, GTX 1070 Duel Asus OC Edition, 16gb ram, Asus Tuf Gaming x570-plus

5 minutes ago, cheiften98 said:

so my case only has 2 hard drive bays and  i have 2 2tb hdd's that im gonna run in raid. i have a 1tb hdd and a lot of my applications and games are on this. i want to reuse the hard drive in my dad's pc i just built him.

i was thinking could i put my hard drive in the bottom, not mounted for a few days so i can transfer all of the files. i wasnt sure if it would shake around din the case lol and get damaged xD

only will shake around if you shake it

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

done it many times with 2.5" drives, 3.5" drives might want some support so you don't stress the connections, if the cables are long enough it wouldn't matter as the drive can sit flat on the bottom of the tower.

from experience, not mounting hard drives at least "somewhat" secure.. bad idea.

i've totally just double-side-tape'd one on its side in a case that had pretty much no mounting options, but thats the least i'd recommend you do, because hard drives like to "walk away" when working :P

5 minutes ago, manikyath said:

from experience, not mounting hard drives at least "somewhat" secure.. bad idea.

i've totally just double-side-tape'd one on its side in a case that had pretty much no mounting options, but thats the least i'd recommend you do, because hard drives like to "walk away" when working :P

ill try to secure it as best i can,. maybe in the rats nest at the bootom lol.

Ryzen 5 5600x, GTX 1070 Duel Asus OC Edition, 16gb ram, Asus Tuf Gaming x570-plus

17 minutes ago, cheiften98 said:

ill try to secure it as best i can,. maybe in the rats nest at the bootom lol.

protip: a neoprene anti-vibration mat is dirt cheap, can be cut to size with scissors, and past that all you need is some string :P

6 hours ago, manikyath said:

protip: a neoprene anti-vibration mat is dirt cheap, can be cut to size with scissors, and past that all you need is some string :P

xD maybe, ill see what i cna find as im adding 2 hard drives in raid but need to transfer my files over. was going to transfer them over a coupe of days instead of 1tb in 1 go xD. its not going to be for long just so i can move the files over