Event Viewer Kernel-Power Error

sof006

Hi so recently I updated my BIOS for my motherboard to the latest from ASUS website

Motherboard is https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/PRIME-B350-PLUS/

I updated as I have recently just gotten the 2700X however since updating to the latest BIOS (Previously 3806 with 1700X) my system has been randomly locking up which requires a hard shutdown to fix, after a hard shutdown the BIOS boot screen tells me that there was a problem and it had to load safe mode defaults.

I have rolled back from 4011 to 4008 and have yet to experience the same issue. Any ideas if a BIOS update could be causing this issue, I doubt its PSU related as the PSU was working fine before I swapped to my 2700X.

Capture.PNG.938d27ab49e0a398f510627308f25849.PNG

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

If you rolled back to a BIOS and its now working without that issue occurring, than its the BIOS that is causing the issue. Well, A change in the BIOS resulted in the issue occurring anyways. You would be best contacting ASUS about this issue, I doubt there any ASUS BIOS engineers on here that are going to be able to help =P

Basic stuff though, make sure your CPU, MOBO are compatible with each other, I wouldn't recommend using the ryzen 2 chips with ryzen 1 MOBOs even though they claim compatibility.

Also that kernel power event will get generated anytime there is an unexpected shutdown (ie not shutting down through the OS) - so that in itself does not indicate a specific issue

Just wanted to update, its been a week since i've rolled back to a older BIOS and i've had no system lock ups.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15