New Laptop ($500-$1000)

I'm in the market right now for a new laptop and I have no idea what I should get. I've been researching for a couple days and there are so many options out there, so I just need some help picking one. I'm looking for a relatively light (not the most important thing though), relatively cheap (preferably under $800, unless there's a good excuse to buy something more expensive), laptop with a good battery and good build quality (I'm hoping not to get another laptop for another 5-7 years). Additionally, I've had far too much experience with pages taking ages to load, so I want it to be pretty fast and also want to be able to do some light gaming on it. I'm not sure if I'm asking for too much, but I'm just looking for a place to start, because I am just overwhelmed with all the options on the market right now, so I think it'd be better if someone else helped me decide. Thank you!!!!!!

Where are you from? How many hours of battery life in web browsing you prefer? What's the max weight you prefer? (approx)

Dell G3/G5/G7 with 8750H seems OK

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

I always recommend a refurbished lenovo thinkpad x220 - they're extremely cheap and you can get them with an ips screen and an ssd, making them as snappy as most modern machines. You'll only be able to run really light games on it though.

If you're set on buying new, what about this? https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-7000-7370-Laptop/dp/B0764N2QL3/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1526024205&sr=8-14&keywords=i5+ips+ssd

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, ZM Fong said:

Where are you from? How many hours of battery life in web browsing you prefer? What's the max weight you prefer? (approx)

Dell G3/G5/G7 with 8750H seems OK

I'm in Israel right now, but I can have it brought in from the US. I imagine that anything I can get in Israel will be cheaper in the US. Also, I've gotta say, I did not expect this forum to be so active, thanks for responding so quickly! As far as weight goes, it's probably the least important factor for me, as long as its not incredibly clunky, I won't mind, especially if it is better in other areas (battery life, build quality, speed, etc.).

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

I always recommend a refurbished lenovo thinkpad x220 - they're extremely cheap and you can get them with an ips screen and an ssd, making them as snappy as most modern machines. You'll only be able to run really light games on it though.

If you're set on buying new, what about this? https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-7000-7370-Laptop/dp/B0764N2QL3/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1526024205&sr=8-14&keywords=i5+ips+ssd

Haha that'd be great. back when I was in eighth grade or so, I used this piece of garbage Inspiron from probably the early 2000's or earlier (probably 10-15 years after its hayday). I had to have it plugged in to the wall at all times, or its battery would deplete in minutes. I imagine they've improved since then, but man was that a piece of trash. Thanks for the advice and the trip down memory lane!

Oh, a question I forgot to ask! Whats the big difference between HDD and SSD. I mean I know one is solid state, which is better technology and quieter. But if I've got the option to have 1 TB HDD or 256 GB or even 128 GB SSD, why would I ever go for the latter? I honestly believe there is an answer for this, because I've seen a lot of people ranting and raving about SSD, could someone help me understand what that is? Thanks!

EDIT: I just remembered also, processors! I've watched a dozen videos explaining what the difference between processors are and I still don't seem to have a grasp on it. Can someone please explain to me in layman's terms what the differences are and why I might want one vs another? Thanks again!

5 minutes ago, donkeykonky said:

Oh, a question I forgot to ask! Whats the big difference between HDD and SSD. I mean I know one is solid state, which is better technology and quieter. But if I've got the option to have 1 TB HDD or 256 GB or even 128 GB SSD, why would I ever go for the latter? I honestly believe there is an answer for this, because I've seen a lot of people ranting and raving about SSD, could someone help me understand what that is? Thanks!

EDIT: I just remembered also, processors! I've watched a dozen videos explaining what the difference between processors are and I still don't seem to have a grasp on it. Can someone please explain to me in layman's terms what the differences are and why I might want one vs another? Thanks again!

SSD is much faster. That's really much it.

The main differences now:

Ryzen better at multitasking. Means graphical works and all of that.

Intel better at single-threaded work. Means gaming and bursty load.

Just now, CapitalistVN said:

SSD is much faster. That's really much it.

The main differences now:

By 'graphical works', what do you mean? Like photoshop and video editing? There's a good chance that I might get back into photoshop at some point, in which case, I'd like it to be able to run relatively fast.

1 minute ago, donkeykonky said:

By 'graphical works', what do you mean? Like photoshop and video editing? There's a good chance that I might get back into photoshop at some point, in which case, I'd like it to be able to run relatively fast.

Mainly, yeah. Can also means 3DS, Catia,...

1 hour ago, CapitalistVN said:

What's the difference between the three?

1 hour ago, donkeykonky said:

Whats the big difference between HDD and SSD

SSD makes W10 runs MUCH smoother and reduce load/boot times

1 hour ago, CapitalistVN said:

I mean you refer to desktop parts. Laptop SKUs are different. 8250U, 8550U, 2500U and 2700U have similar performance (KBL-R has higher single core performance). It comes down to cooling and firmware limitations.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Just now, ZM Fong said:

SSD makes W10 runs MUCH smoother and reduce load/boot times

I mean you refer to desktop parts. Laptop SKUs are different. 8250U, 8550U, 2500U and 2700U have similar performance (KBL-R has higher single core performance). It comes down to cooling and firmware limitations.

Yeah mostly desktop counterparts. Sorry for not including that

Just now, donkeykonky said:

What's the difference between the three?

The Envy has better build quality and looks much more premium compared to the other 2, but also got worse GPU. The other two has worse screen (TN ftw lol), but better GPU with a MX150

10 minutes ago, CapitalistVN said:

The Envy has better build quality and looks much more premium compared to the other 2, but also got worse GPU. The other two has worse screen (TN ftw lol), but better GPU with a MX150

Envy x360 and Swift 3 also come with KBL-R+MX150 25W option. Build quality wise, the 3 options you linked are pretty much the same, it comes down to design (look). Envy x360 and Swift 3 has entry level IPS panel (touchscreen enabled in Envy x360). Aspire 5 15 has both IPS and TN models, however the one you link above has TN panel.

Need to mention that laptop with Ryzen mobile APU has worse battery life, also need CPU tuning (TDP increase to 25W) in order to perform properly

Desktop specs:

Spoiler