Missing Network Adapters on Sony Vaio Laptop

Been trying to figure out this issue on a laptop for a friend of mine for a few days and it has me pretty stumped.

The laptop is a Sony Vaio VPCEL15FX
Win 7  64bit
pretty much base model

The issue at hand is that there are no connections in Network Connections, i.e no LAN connection or Wifi, likewise they don't appear Device Manager at all. No unknown device notifications at all. In order to see Network Adapters in device manager, I have to select Show Hidden devices. and this brings up a list of adapters that aren't really accessible. I will include a pic.

I have tried many things thus far
1. Left CMOS battery disconnected for extended period
2. Reset BIOS defaults...the bios on this laptop is quite bare, not much options at all
3. Removed the config file in the Registry editor under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network
4. Checked msinfo32.exe > Components>Network>Adapter, Adapter (will include a shot of these results as well) 
5. Disassembled laptop, checked the port itself, still seems to be fixed securely to the board.
6. Was able to install a USB wifi adapter which is my personal device
7. Tried installing the drivers for the LAN port and Wifi, nothing spurs the computer into thinking "well hey I should have these things" I am really hoping they are not both dead

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

msinfo.JPG

network adapters.JPG

Other than the network adapter being physically damaged, the only thing that can cause this exact situation is if the device is disabled in bios. Does the laptop have an advanced bios configuration or anything? Did the cmos clear actually work?

I assume you followed these instructions to reset the cmos: https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00122597

If not, try those instead and see if it helps. 

Will try the steps in the link, many thanks. The Bios itself is so bare bones..I was shocked to see nothing in there about the actual NIC... the only network option was to enable Network boot. Sadly the cmos clear did not work. I was really hoping for that to work.

I knew there was something i forgot to put in the list.. I tried another hard drive with windows 7 from another laptop to see if when installed, device manager would post up an unknown device. it gave me nothing :( but i guess a fresh install can't hurt, providing the drive decides to read discs ..This laptop has sold its soul

9 minutes ago, Lawless8723 said:

I knew there was something i forgot to put in the list.. I tried another hard drive with windows 7 from another laptop to see if when installed, device manager would post up an unknown device. it gave me nothing :( but i guess a fresh install can't hurt, providing the drive decides to read discs ..This laptop has sold its soul

If you are having trouble with installing Windows 7 via a disc, Microsoft still has an area to download it from:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

43 minutes ago, Tabs said:

Other than the network adapter being physically damaged, the only thing that can cause this exact situation is if the device is disabled in bios. Does the laptop have an advanced bios configuration or anything? Did the cmos clear actually work?

I assume you followed these instructions to reset the cmos: https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00122597

If not, try those instead and see if it helps. 

finding it quite strange that it is booting into windows when I use the Assist button

i agree with @tylerhyperHD a fresh start is your best bet, sony laptops normally come with a recovery partition, but if the recovery partition has been delete you will have to reinstall from a usb drive or dvd.

instructions from manual;

https://docs.sony.com/release//VPCEG1_EH1_EJ1_EL1_Series_EN.pdf

1. Press the ASSIST button while your VAIO computer is off to start VAIO Care Rescue.

If the Edit Boot Options window is displayed, press the Enter key. VAIO Care Rescue starts.

2. Click Start recovery wizard.

3. Follow the on-screen instructions.

To perform the custom recovery, select Tools and click Start advanced recovery wizard.

Also for future reference to properly clear cmos you have to do it without any power connected

Laptop

• disconnect mains power
  • remove laptop battery
  • disconnect the small cmos battery
  • hold power button down for 10+ seconds

Desktop

• disconnect mains power
  • use jumper or screwdriver to short the 2 clear cmos pins for 10+ seconds

many thanks.. I will have to give these a try in the morning.. recovering from a mutant case of the flu and it has me knackered. Thanks for all the assistance thus far. I will pop back in to give updates.

Thanks again for all the assistance but I think these parts on the board are dead