Anyone know how to reset UEFI to default settings without entering it?

Go to solution Solved by Razor Blade,

I assume that you have tried more than just one USB port when accessing your BIOS? Even 10+ year old bios will recognize a USB keyboard. Try a bare bones basic USB keyboard and nothing fancy... Even if you have to buy one for $5 from a thrift shop or something.

Also that same techinferno thread says that shorting the pads will not only not clear the CMOS, it could brick the laptop.

So, the keyboard that is integrated to my Asus G751 broke, so I bought an external keyboard a K70 Lux, but I wasn't able to use it to login in the pre-boot environment of Veracrypt, a recommendation was to disable Legacy USB Support in the UEFI, but now I cannot even navigate through the UEFI because it does not recognize my keyboard. I even tried another external keyboard from a family member and no gold. 

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Take the cmos battery out for a minute.

How? It's a laptop

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

take off the bottum and hunt around.

Shit, even if I do find it, disconnecting the battery would require me dismantling the entire laptop, any other way? 

2 minutes ago, danielsuarez369 said:

Shit, even if I do find it, disconnecting the battery would require me dismantling the entire laptop, any other way? 

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

take off the bottum and hunt around.

Just to note here. The CMOS battery on that laptop is on the back side of the MB. It's not even a matter of just removing a few things, it requires a complete disassemble to get to it. 

I don't believe there are any reset jumpers, so unfortunately, that's your only option. 

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

that's your only option

Fuck. Couldn't I like reflash the bios? 

5 minutes ago, danielsuarez369 said:

So, the keyboard that is integrated to my Asus G751 broke, so I bought an external keyboard a K70 Lux, but I wasn't able to use it to login in the pre-boot environment of Veracrypt, a recommendation was to disable Legacy USB Support in the UEFI, but now I cannot even navigate through the UEFI because it does not recognize my keyboard. I even tried another external keyboard from a family member and no gold. 

You're in a bit of a pickle now. There'll be a CMOS battery on the motherboard, if you remove the main battery, then remove the CMOS battery for a few minutes, your bios will reset back to defaults.

How easy that CMOS battery is to access is a bit of an unknown, though. Laptops don't traditionally offer easy access to clear CMOS pins (or even offer them at all).

There is some evidence to suggest that you can clear the CMOS on your laptop by shorting a pinout called JRST2001 near the memory modules, but I can't verify it and would be very wary of doing it unless you have no other option

Source: https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/5534-asus-g750-cmos-reset-or-bios-reset/

Reflashing the bios would likely import all your previous settings, so you'd be in the same situation.

1 minute ago, danielsuarez369 said:

You typically need access to the BIOS in order to flash it (which is why BIOS Flashback should be standard, but it's not, unfortunately). It often won't reset settings anyway, so if it's an issue there, you'd still be in the same place. 

Taking apart the laptop to get to the CMOS battery is really your best (and almost, only) option.

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

Taking apart the laptop to get to the CMOS battery is really your best (and almost, only) option.

And this is why I regret so much getting a laptop... ugh... i'm gonna have to get down and do it with a lot of patience. I've done it before and it is a real headache. 

I assume that you have tried more than just one USB port when accessing your BIOS? Even 10+ year old bios will recognize a USB keyboard. Try a bare bones basic USB keyboard and nothing fancy... Even if you have to buy one for $5 from a thrift shop or something.

Also that same techinferno thread says that shorting the pads will not only not clear the CMOS, it could brick the laptop.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

Just now, Razor Blade said:

Yep. I tried multiple USB ports, and two different keyboards, one Dell SK-8135 and a brand new Corsair K70 Lux. Horrible BIOS from Asus to be honest. 

Yep. I tried multiple USB ports, and two different keyboards, one Dell SK-8135 and a brand new Corsair K70 Lux. Horrible BIOS from Asus to be honest. 

The Dell is a multimedia keyboard with a built in USB pass through hub. The Corsair is a fully customizable RGB keyboard. Do you have access to a regular simple USB keyboard? Wouldn't hurt at this point to try right?...I mean what other options were presented other than tearing the laptop apart and pulling batteries out or shorting jumper pads  that a user on a forum thread said would brick and unbrick his laptop?

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

27 minutes ago, Razor Blade said:

The Dell is a multimedia keyboard with a built in USB pass through hub. The Corsair is a fully customizable RGB keyboard. Do you have access to a regular simple USB keyboard? Wouldn't hurt at this point to try right?...I mean what other options were presented other than tearing the laptop apart and pulling batteries out or shorting jumper pads  that a user on a forum thread said would brick and unbrick his laptop?

Yeah you got a point, hmmm what keyboard do you recommend? This one simple enough? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005EOWBHC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

7 minutes ago, danielsuarez369 said:

Yeah you got a point, hmmm what keyboard do you recommend? This one simple enough? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005EOWBHC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I would have linked the same keyboard if you asked me to link a cheap one... I have that same keyboard and have been using it to setup both my PFsense box and my freenas box. It works in both the UFEI bios of my ASUS motherboard desktop and the legacy BIOS of my Dell R710.

But honestly if you have access to a simple keyboard at your work or at your school (if you attend) I would try free options like borrowing first.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Razor Blade said:

But honestly if you have access to a simple keyboard at your work or at your school (if you attend) I would try free options like borrowing first.

I'll see if I can find one... thanks!