Laptop Throttling

Hey,

So my lady friend complained about her laptop being insufferably slow (Acer inspire V nitro something). The good boyfriend I am, I obviously started to look into it. What I've discovered is that the laptop is only using less than half of it's resources for any given task. I did an extended play test with Total War: Shogun 2, and it runs like crud... however, for brief moments the frame rate jumps to +60 fps, same with a game like R6: Siege, runs like crap. GPU Z, and HW monitor give peaks for the CPU at ~40% and a peak for the GPU at 60% while running an average of about 35-45%. When I bought this thing, Shogun 2 for example ran absolutely perfectly with 0 issues, so I know there's "umph under the hood" but it's just not being used.

Now, I'm fairly convinced this is some planned obsolescence bullshit Apple style. A complete system reinstall doesn't help, the problem persists. The bios on this laptop doesn't let me tinker with anything but boot priority. Anyone got a clue what's going on, and what to do about it?

Specs:

i5-4210H

8gb of RAM

nvidia 860M

How are the temps? Or the power plan? Perhaps one or the other could be the culprit 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

Does it have switchable graphics ? Sometimes it sticks to the iGPU instead of the dGPU

clean the fan and radiator, change termopads, paste, format and throw ssd in if it has not any :) 

Start with AIDA64 and run a stresstest to see if the loss of performance is thermal throttling, if it is thermal related, at stated above, pop it open, clean the fan and heatsink, apply new thermal compound, always use high end compounds in laptops.

If it's not thermal throttling, again, try as stated above doing a fresh install, just backup your Steam folder, and then go to your user account and copy the entire account folder to an external drive to back up all of your data, download the latest version of windows 10 from their website, if you downloaded an ISO use Rufus to make a USB installer, if you downloaded Media Creation Tool than you're good to go, follow the on screen goodies and you're ready to do a fresh install of windows 10.

Prior to formatting, use AIDA64 again to backup your Windows Key just in case it doesn't auto active on install. Do the fresh install, don't install anything when it's done, do all of the Windows updates as it will find the majority of the drivers for you, once everything is done, download your GPU driver from the manufacturer, bingo bango, you're ready togo, should be running flawless after that, if it's not, burn it, it would be a hardware issue if those two suggestions don't work and it's not worth the time and effort needed to repair.

Also, don't do a factory reset, that will keep all of the manufacturer bloat ware installed and whatever (if software related) caused this issue, it will still be there to cause it again down the road.

Hope this helps.

EDIT:
I use Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound in my laptops

Desktop: CASE: NZXT H510 Elite CPU: Intel i9-9900K RAM: 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro GPU: 11GB EVGA FTW3 1080ti NVMe: 3x1TB  XPG Gammix S11 HDD: 1x8TB Barracuda PSU: HX1200 OS: Windows 10 Pro b19043
Laptop: CASE: Asus Zephyrus Duo CPU: Intel i7-10875H RAM: 32GB SSD: 2x Samsung 1TB NVMe RAID 0 OS: Pop_OS 20.04 LTS

Mobile: MODEL: Galaxy S21 Ultra  SSD: 128GB RAM: 12GB OS: Unlocked One UI 3.1 Android 11

Mobile: MODEL: Nubia Red Magic 5G SSD: 256GB RAM: 12GB OS: Rooted RM5S Android 11