(ultra) Wide gaming monitor?

AT0MAC
Go to solution Solved by AT0MAC,

Just ordered the LG 32GK850G

Thanks for a nice and decent discussion, maybe others can use this as a base to seek out their new monitor. A lot of good points were brought up.

What would you choose?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. If you had a GTX1070 and needed the best monitor you could buy out of these 4, what would you choose?

• Omen X by HP 35
    • ROG Swift PG348Q
    • LG 34UC89G
    • LG 34GK850G-B

34 minutes ago, lacion said:

i have the AOC Agon AG352UCG 100hz 1440p so far so good, colors are very good after calibration, very very bright. it has gsync. have it mounted on a desk arm the amazon basics one. i have a photo of it in the show your setup thread if you want to see it.

Show me yours I show you m.... Eh wait, not the righr time, but yea would like to see, have not determined anything yet, this is both a long time desicion and one im willing to spend quite some money on so have to be the right thing to do.

My Gaming PC: 27833

After a small reality check, I think I would rather go for a monitor I can actually use now, instead of one I can barely use in my current situation. Anything would be an upgrade.

• 30"+
  • Preferably IPS
  • 2560x1080 minimum
  • 100Hz minimum
  • Best possible sRGB rating
  • Maximum 5ms GTG
  • G-sync is a requirement

Would then relocate my current monitor and VESA mount to another place on the wall, I have atm 3 pcs hooked to this monitor, so by then i could hook up 2 of those to the old monitor and 1 to the new primary display, thereby no requirement for specially many inputs or vesa, i would do just fine with one DP port and a nice stand.

Hit me with your best recommendations!

I am currently looking at the Alienware AW3418HW 34.1", it looks pretty sweet, but unsure if there are other nice contenders around?

Looks like I should consider LG.....

34UC89G vs Alienware 3418HW

Can you see what I miss, why should I choose the more expensive Alienware, other than the much nicer design (imo AW looks stunning)

1 hour ago, AT0MAC said:

I am currently looking at the Alienware AW3418HW 34.1", it looks pretty sweet, but unsure if there are other nice contenders around?

Keep in mind that having a 34.1" ultrawide monitor with resolution 2560x1080 isn't considered ideal by many people. Monitor of this size looks best with 3440x1440.

It all depends on the viewing distance of course.

As for the comparison, you probably shouldn't. They both overclock similarly, have IPS displays and the same resolution. Where I live the Alienware is more expensive but by only about $30-40 so if wherever you live the price difference is more than that, I'd say go for the LG. Bearing in mind what I wrote above though, 34 inches is a big panel for only 2560x1080.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

Just now, Lathlaer said:

Keep in mind that having a 34.1" ultrawide monitor with resolution 2560x1080 isn't considered ideal by many people. Monitor of this size looks best with 3440x1440.

It all depends on the viewing distance of course.

As for the comparison, you probably shouldn't. They both overclock similarly, have IPS displays and the same resolution. Where I live the Alienware is more expensive but by only about $30-40 so if wherever you live the price difference is more than that, I'd say go for the LG. Bearing in mind what I wrote above though, 34 inches is a big panel for only 2560x1080.

But lets think about it, If I can maintain Ultra settings in most AA titles as I can now in 1920x1080, but with more viewing angle, then thats a really nice bonus - compared to have to step down quality but see more on the screen.

I love playing Far Cry 5 or AC Origins on a detail level that makes it look like im starring in a movie.

This is not the end all be all screen for me until eternity, its a fix for what i have now and a quality upgrade, i hate the colors on my TN panel but loves its high refresh rate, thats what I upgraded for last time, went from a 60Hz panel to a 144Hz, so now im coming back home to IPS and trying out some curvature.

I actually think I will very soon hit the button and order a LG, unless someone proof to me I should choose something else.

The LG costs right around 900 USD / 669 GBP here in Denmark, that to me looks rather cheap compared to the 1.200 USD / 890 GBP for the alienware around here

3 minutes ago, AT0MAC said:

The LG costs right around 900 USD / 669 GBP here in Denmark, that to me looks rather cheap compared to the 1.200 USD / 890 GBP for the alienware around here

Ugh, that's harsh. Go with the LG then.

If you are mounting it on the wall then you will probably not notice many stylistic differences between them anyway. I have my AW3418DW on the wall right now and basically the bright panel takes all the space, there is some black frame around it, a barely visible "Alienware" on the bottom and that's it :D 

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

2 minutes ago, Lathlaer said:

Ugh, that's harsh. Go with the LG then.

If you are mounting it on the wall then you will probably not notice many stylistic differences between them anyway. I have my AW3418DW on the wall right now and basically the bright panel takes all the space, there is some black frame around it, a barely visible "Alienware" on the bottom and that's it :D 

yea i figure i will end up doing that, hang it on my wall, then find the stand for the other monitor and put is somewhere else, can always use an extra monitor for something.

actually this would also be a chance to cable manage the pile of things i have connected to my monitor as of now, it really dont look good... with the savings i can even use some on some cable covers and stuff and really make a big splash in difference around here.

well, let me sleep on it but im finally close to make up my mind

Even Linus seems to like it, until he noticed the resolution and then decided its probably the right choice for some - just not for him

Thats good enough for me

Well after reading a lot of real world users reviews there seem to be some backlight bleed issues with a lot of the curved screens plus some washed out colors at the edges, neither is very attractive.

So im even starting to think, maybe it should not be curved, if no one really know h ow to do it proper yet.

Maybe even just go for a high end 2560x1440....

The choices are many and i cant decide

1 hour ago, AT0MAC said:

Well after reading a lot of real world users reviews there seem to be some backlight bleed issues with a lot of the curved screens plus some washed out colors at the edges, neither is very attractive.

So im even starting to think, maybe it should not be curved, if no one really know h ow to do it proper yet.

Maybe even just go for a high end 2560x1440....

The choices are many and i cant decide

That's not really an issue strictly related to curved monitors but to all IPS panels. Now, I don't know if curved screens have it worse or not but I can promise you that popular panels considered one of the best in their own category (like Asus PG279Q since you mentioned 2560x1440) have tons of problems with backlight bleeding. You will find many people having negative feedback about the issue simply by the virtue of volume sold.

It's a hit and miss with IPS panels. The best thing you can do is to have it tested on the spot when buying and if you can't do that then just see if it's good enough once it arrives. If not, then return it and repeat.

I have some backlight bleed in my lower left corner but I'm perfectly fine with it. It's much better than some people have it and although not unnoticeable in perfect darks, it's still within my tolerance.

Hey - I'm just thinking - its probably worth mentioning I sometimes stream on Twitch and therefor have a second recording rig with a capture card in.

Because of that I kind of lean towards the LG 32GK850 (sorry I mentioned it as 34" earlier, its "only" 31,5) so I dont drive an insane amount of pixels and also to keep the same aspect ratio both on screen and on stream.

do you agree to that logic?

I think i just found the answer to my question, my elgato hd60 pro can only receive and stream 1080p, so if i want to stream i have to use my old monitor, or buy a better grabber card.

Ultrawides are still a possability!

Will look at it later today, soon want to buy.

Because of the 1080p issue when streaming, im currently looking at 4K instead - because then I can have a better experience when I play on my own, and I can switch to 1080p when I stream, all on the same monitor - with a 1:4 ratio everything will still look good.

There is not many options for a big monitor, 4k and g-sync, so basically im looking at Acer Predator XB321HK

It looks pretty good and gets pretty good reviews also, very interested!

Should also be ok at 60hz for my GTX1070 and it has g-sync for smoothness.

Any reasons why I should not buy this monitor??

Well after watching a few videos on the subject, the 60Hz limit on the HK display is a little bit of a limiter, also the difficulties of software not utilizing the 4K resolution perfectly.
Also the fact that I have the minimum card to really run games at solid 4K is not really ideal.

So, im actually back to the LG 32GK850G I think, when I think about it it's 25% more resolution than 1080p, so should be easy enough to run games at fullhd when I stream, it's an even reduction.

For GTX1070 1440p should still be the sweet spot and the right refresh rate is really nice.

Lastly, the VA panel is still a big positive for me to get a good panel with no bleeding.

I think I will order this one later today, LG 32GK850G is the winner (unless i'm convinced other vice)

Just ordered the LG 32GK850G

Thanks for a nice and decent discussion, maybe others can use this as a base to seek out their new monitor. A lot of good points were brought up.