TV Tuner Card

flstewieg

Hello Tech people!

I believe I will be getting a BENQ XL2420TE 144Hz for Christmas, and wanted to know the best television tuner card for this still viable Dell Monitor SX2210b, or if it is even compatible with any card, or what I might need to make it compatible.

Sorry if this is in the wrong area, but I believe this is the closest thing.

Edit: Currently on a GTX 560ti

You may want to move the topic to the graphics cards section of the forum.

So the way I understands it:

1. You have a PC with a GTX 560TI.
  2. You are getting a 144Hz monitor.
  3. You want to use you old Dell monitor and your new 144Hz monitor in a dual screen setup

Ok... Your 560TI is actually fast enough if you do not need all the settings on max. (just generalizing)

Problem however: Nvidia does not support different refresh-rates on different monitors in a multi screen setup

If you run dual monitor, because your Dell monitor is only capable of 60Hz...

Your 144Hz monitor will be limited to 60Hz!!!

If I remember right. AMD GPUs does not have this issue, and can have different refresh rates on multiple monitors. (Though i would recommend asking someone else if AMD GPUs can drive different monitors at different refresh-rates )

If you mostly do productivity stuff, and only game sometimes. You could just disconnect the Dell monitor, but not a perfect solution

If u wanna use your computer to watch tv and have cable tv service get a hdhomerun prime. All u need is widows mediacenter and a cablecard from your cableco. It hooks into your router so every thing on your network thats dlna certified can use it ps4 can access it as well. Xbox360 has to be set up as an extender to your pc. Ihave one and it works great has 3 tuners in it and the multistream cablecard onlyncosts $2 a month and i have some switched video chanels that need a tuning adapter but the cable co provides that for free.

I would like to be able to switch between using the second screen as a second monitor AND use it as a television through some means. Is there a moderator who can move this to Graphics Card section?

Sorry I got confused on what you meant... I would not bother to move the topic based on what you question is about. (I got confused my fault)

First of:

GPU / Graphics card = You 560TI = What displays an image on you monitor(s)

TV tuner = Device that allows you to see cable, or over-the-air broadcast television on your computer.

So you are getting a new monitor and you want to use your old Dell monitor and your new monitor at the same time, and watch TV on the old Dell monitor. While doing something other on the new monitor?

So you need a TV tuner card! Great! what kind of TV tuner does you need? That depends on what kind of television you recive and were you live:

1. Cable or over-the-air broadcast television?
  2. Were do you live? (different standards in different counties)
  3. When watching TV on a normal televisions, do you then need a box or card that you rent or bought from the company you get your TV service from?

I would consider this and the ask in the Home theater section something like this (Just an example):

Hello! I need help deciding on what TV tuner I should get. I get my television service from stupid Comcast and I have to use a special box to revive the signal on my TV... What TV tuner can I get that are going to work so that I can watch TV on my PC

I do not know that much about TV tuners myself, since i only have an ageing analog Hauppauge WinTV tuner that I use to digitalize VHS tapes. (Also. You 144Hz monitor are still going to be limited to 60Hz because of you GPU. You may just want to disregard this ATM and focus on it later when your able to watch TV on your PC)

Cable, Southeast US, Comcast with box.

I would like to split the older Dell monitor between being used for television and being a second monitor, if possible.

Hope to replace graphics card in the next year =D