need recommendations for a server case and redundant power supply unit

I want to build a proper file server in a few months, that will have all of my data for school on it. 

I need a case that is compatible with a full atx board, hot swappable drive bays (at least 4) and I need a redundant power supply.

I will be using 4 4TB WD Red drives in raid 1, so I don't need SAS connectors. 

She/Her

Just now, Ramaddil said:

Just Curious your going to use 4 drives in a Raid 1??  You will only get 4TB worth of usable space.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811219024 Has 8 Bays is compadible with ATX and redundant Power supply.

i'n not an expert on RAID at all... 

what other raid could I use? I want at least 2 of the drives for redundancy..

She/Her

Both of these videos explain what you need to know about raid.. Ideally with 4 drives you can either do a Raid 10 or Raid 5 or RaidZ1 if you use Freenas.  Doing Raid 5 without a Raid card is going to be very slow whereas raid 10 maybe a better option.  You need to do research on these terms and ideas before jumping into this.  

If you want two drives for redundancy raid 6 is a option it offers 2 drive redundancy but again doing this with out a raid card or freenas is extremely slow and a bad idea.  If you need it to be in Windows the only option you have is to buy a raid card or deal with the extremely slow storage spaces option.  They have alot of used ones on ebay.  LSI makes some that support over 2TB Drives and support raid 5/6 that are reasonably priced.

1 minute ago, Ramaddil said:

Both of these videos explain what you need to know about raid.. Ideally with 4 drives you can either do a Raid 10 or Raid 5 or RaidZ1 if you use Freenas.  Doing Raid 5 without a Raid card is going to be very slow whereas raid 10 maybe a better option.  You need to do research on these terms and ideas before jumping into this.  

thanks a lot!

I do have an old IBM X3650 server and some old drives I can try some things with. 

about the slowness of the drives, as long as it can handle gigabit network speeds it's fine. 

I have not decided on an OS for the file server yet.. I was thinking of using Ubuntu since i'm familiar with it. what benefits does freenas have over it?

If you need it to be in Windows the only option you have is to buy a raid card or deal with the extremely slow storage spaces option.  

I won't be using Windows. either Ubuntu or something else if that's better. 

She/Her

Freenas is designed for combining drives and getting decent performance it is widely used by a lot of people for homeservers.  About the slowness of the drives when I mean slow I mean very slow.  If you use software raid 5/6 on windows your reads will be decent but writes will be 10-15 maybe 30 mbs a sec.  I am not real good with options on ubuntu as far as raid config goes.  Freenas may be a better option or Unraid where you can set up VM's.

Freenas is designed for combining drives and getting decent performance it is widely used by a lot of people for homeservers.  About the slowness of the drives when I mean slow I mean very slow.  If you use software raid 5/6 on windows your reads will be decent but writes will be 10-15 maybe 30 mbs a sec.  I am not real good with options on ubuntu as far as raid config goes.  Freenas may be a better option or Unraid where you can set up VM's.

ok, good to know. 

Unraid is paid software right? 

She/Her

Yes it is.  Both Freenas and Unraid are good choices for what you are planning to do.  

Just now, Ramaddil said:

Yes it is.  Both Freenas and Unraid are good choices for what you are planning to do.  

ok, thanks! I will do some research! 

She/Her

Good luck, there are plenty of resources on how to setup a homeserver/lab and how to configure Freenas/Unraid.  Found a lot of great tutorials on youtube for some of these things.  Good choice on your hard drives NAS drives are excellent and I am a Fan of WD.

2 minutes ago, Ramaddil said:

Good luck, there are plenty of resources on how to setup a homeserver/lab and how to configure Freenas/Unraid.  Found a lot of great tutorials on youtube for some of these things.  Good choice on your hard drives NAS drives are excellent and I am a Fan of WD.

yeah, I picked them because I trust WD a lot..

She/Her

There is only really one big reputable seller in that market space, and that is Supermicro.  Should be able to pickup a used chassis pretty cheap.

If that is all you want to do I'd just create a mdadm array in linux.  I love freenas but it's a little much for what you want.