ASUS Laptop Black Screen After Logo

Just recently my laptop stopped booting. I start it up, the logo comes on and a loading circle, the logo goes away but the circle stays, then the circle goes away and it black screens. I left it at the black screen overnight and nothing new happened.

I can get into the bios and boot manager. I've tried everything in the boot manager to no avail. It won't let me reset and keep my files. It will say "There was a problem resetting your PC. No changes made".

The startup repair will say "Startup repair couldn't repair your pc". And I cannot enter safemode.

I do not have access to another computer atm and need this one for finals.

Thanks for the help!

It sounds like it might be an issue with your disk or your windows install - especially if you cannot enter safe mode but the bios etc work fine. Without access to another computer to get diagnostic utilities set up on a flash drive, your options are going to be rather limited. You've already tried the two main things I'd suggest - to try repairing the install using Windows PE (or an installer iso/usb), and to try entering safe mode.

Can I assume that since you need this machine for finals etc that there's important work you can't afford to lose on there - and so a fresh install is out of the question right now? That's the only other thing I can suggest.

Do you know anyone with a spare machine they can loan you to help you try to fix your laptop?

6 minutes ago, Caleb SF said:

Just recently my laptop stopped booting. I start it up, the logo comes on and a loading circle, the logo goes away but the circle stays, then the circle goes away and it black screens. I left it at the black screen overnight and nothing new happened.

I can get into the bios and boot manager. I've tried everything in the boot manager to no avail. It won't let me reset and keep my files. It will say "There was a problem resetting your PC. No changes made".

The startup repair will say "Startup repair couldn't repair your pc". And I cannot enter safemode.

I do not have access to another computer atm and need this one for finals.

Thanks for the help!

In the recovery menu, there should be an option to use CMD and there you can copy your files to a flash drive after some quick googling. Then You can use another computer to make a windows usb stick using the microsoft media creation tool and reinstall windows. 

I'd try launching command prompt in the recovery menu and seeing if you can type sfc /scannnow. If that doesn't work, then you definitely will need a recovery disk to attempt to repair windows depending on what has happened.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

19 minutes ago, MineParker101 said:

In the recovery menu, there should be an option to use CMD and there you can copy your files to a flash drive after some quick googling. Then You can use another computer to make a windows usb stick using the microsoft media creation tool and reinstall windows. 

How can I copy files using the cmd?

13 minutes ago, Hiitchy said:

I'd try launching command prompt in the recovery menu and seeing if you can type sfc /scannnow. If that doesn't work, then you definitely will need a recovery disk to attempt to repair windows depending on what has happened.

It doesnt...

2 minutes ago, Caleb SF said:

Can I actually do this from Windows 32? And how do i know where everything is? 

What do you mean "windows 32", and yes, this feature has been a thing ever sense DOS, all you stiff should be located in the user directory (C:\Users\[username]\) if you need to see a list of sub folders just type dir

48 minutes ago, MineParker101 said:

What do you mean "windows 32", and yes, this feature has been a thing ever sense DOS, all you stiff should be located in the user directory (C:\Users\[username]\) if you need to see a list of sub folders just type dir

This is a bit difficult to do when I don't know what my file names actually are or where they're located in relative to the C:\Users\etc

4 minutes ago, Caleb SF said:

This is a bit difficult to do when I don't know what my file names actually are or where they're located in relative to the C:\Users\etc

thats why the dir command exists, it lists all directories and files in the folder. 

15 minutes ago, MineParker101 said:

thats why the dir command exists, it lists all directories and files in the folder. 

I can't even cd into my user...

I'm in X:\windows\system32>

I can't cd C:\Users 

18 hours ago, Caleb SF said:

I can't even cd into my user...

I'm in X:\windows\system32>

I can't cd C:\Users 

You need to do [cd..] untill ur in the x: and then to [C:] then u can cd into Users