PC became very slow after disabling some services(MAYBE?)

marttin

Hello! So yesterday I disabled some services, but I didn't restart my PC instantly after doing it.. Might it cause some issues or what?  Or maybe I disabled something important that I might need to run in background so my PC runs smoothly??

Like I can open programs and everything, but once I press on desktop rightclick and and do refresh my PC freezes like instantly.. and the to refresh it takes about 1min or so and then if I press on my screen again my desktop completley freezes but I can use the start menu..  THIS IS THE GUIDE WHICH I FOLLOWED AND DISABLED PRETTY MUCH MOST OF THE THINGS WHICH WAS IN THE LIST MENTIONED --- > http://thecsgomanfps.blogspot.com/2016/04/disabling-service-for-faster-computer.html

When I press to refresh on desktop and then rightclick or something like my desktop gets fucking frozen and it takes forever to refresh 

PLEASE HELP SOME1! :{

CPU i7 4770

GTX 1070 ASUS DUAL

HDD TOSHIBA 500GB some shitty ass HD

PSU Corsair HX750i

RAM CRUCIAL 8GB also super shitty

MOBO H81M-P33

monitor BENQ XL2430T

OS W10

yasdasd.jpg

4 minutes ago, marttin said:

HDD TOSHIBA 500GB some shitty ass HD

Found your problem... buy an ssd.

Aside from that, try re-enabling everything you disabled to see if anything changes. As a rule of thumb, don't do this - you'll only get marginal performance increases on machines with very limited hardware, which is not your case. You don't have a cpu bottleneck nor insufficient memory, so disabling services will do nothing for you.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I already bought stuff to upgrade, but it'll take 1-3days till I can upgrade my PC completley.. Since all of the things hasn't arrived yet which I ordered.. tbh after disabling most of that I gained more stable fps in OW.. It actually helps xD I know I don't have any bottlenecking issues or anything but it's just that my fps drops because there's so many services enabled which aren't even necessary if I'm only mostly playing games.. And I hate having fps drops when I've 144Hz and still I need to play display based because OW uses a lot of CPU and RAM.. So if I've some unecessary shit service running in background it affects and so I drop 10-20fps randomly at some point.. So my mouse movement gets affected and it's so annoying.. and I've no clue what the fuck I actually disabled and now re-enabling everything might not even be an issue.. I'm it prolly is tho, but holy fuck.. I just want to game on this rig for 1-4days till I can completley put my new build together.. and I want to have it run smoothly before I upgrade everything

Disabling services is very rarely going to give you a performance increase - many of them handle things that applications need active in order to run properly. Many of the services - like SuperFetch - actually increase performance. Many of them are needed to keep your system secure.

If you just follow some random "guide" online without understanding exactly what you're turning off and why, problems like this are inevitable.

Your first course of action should be to re-enable everything you disabled. If you still want to go back and disable services again, do a few at a time, reboot, and see if your performance changes. It almost definitely won't but there are still some people that think that way. Rinse and repeat until you're happy with all the reduced functionality you have.

Edit: Looking at your screenshot full size I also see that you disabled all of the font smoothing and antialiasing. How can you even look at that without your eyes bleeding?

Edited by Tabs
Why

I disabled superfetch and I think it was the problem.. But after re-enabling it nothing changed really.. And there's a lot of people saying that it isn't unecessary... Not to mention my disk usage was going to 80-90% sometimes randomly because of that superfetch shit thing

1 minute ago, marttin said:

I disabled superfetch and I think it was the problem.. But after re-enabling it nothing changed really.. And there's a lot of people saying that it isn't unecessary... Not to mention my disk usage was going to 80-90% sometimes randomly because of that superfetch shit thing

Once you disable SuperFetch its database of commonly accessed files gets deleted. It will take 24-72 hours for it to repopulate based on how you use your computer.

Like I said, if you don't understand EXACTLY what you're doing, you probably shouldn't do it. Performance gains from disabling services have been marginal to placebo since Windows 7.

I mean I disabled superfetch so it is the issue which cause my system to become super slow? Because it prolly is like you say it deletes everything once you disable it? And my system doesn't respond now properly.. Once I press refresh it's so fucking slow and then I get a freeze and loading screen and a screen in back.. I disabled those services right before I started playing OW and then all of the sudden after hours of gaming / sitting in discord.. I restarted my PC and then my PC was so fucking slow I press refresh and every icon on desktop dissapears for 1-2mins.. you can see in the screenshots down below

rrr.jpg

normal.jpg

Also it takes like 30sec-1min to even start the refresh

So 1st I rightclick and refresh then I jut click on my screen with rightclick and then you can see the grey thing and my cursor becomes the loading cursor and then after the grey screen every icon dissapears for 30-60sec and then everything pops up again.. Screenshots down below because I'm so bad at explaining things I guess and so it's easier to understand what's happening.. Also for an example when I go in paint to save the screenshot it takes long time to find the location where to save the file

normal.jpg

22222.jpg

4444.jpg

rrr.jpg

normal.jpg

Like everything ran smoothly before I disabled the services.. I mean it was still running smoothly when I disabled the services but after I restarted PC it all went to shit

I just reinstalled w10 and it solved the problem.. I mean pretty much it was one of the service, but since I didn't want to fuck it up even more.. I did the easiest way..

26 minutes ago, marttin said:

I just reinstalled w10 and it solved the problem.. I mean pretty much it was one of the service, but since I didn't want to fuck it up even more.. I did the easiest way..

Some services are more important then you realise.

Disabling Superfetch is not a smart thing to do, well disabling services that you have no idea what they do is out-right not a smart thing to do.

Superfetch has been with us since Vista and most programs rely on it, the bigger they are then the more they rely on it.

Then you have a HDD, superfetch will help you even more, as it was designed for a HDD in mind.

And again, it helps even more if you're always playing the same game.

However as someone else said, once you deleted the database it will take days to rebuild it at which time your HDD will be hit hard.

You would have also most likely deleted some components of indexing services. This could be a reason why your desktop takes so long to refresh. It's not a smart thing to do as it will slow everything down. Again, it will take a very long time to rebuild that database as well and your HDD will again be hit.

Be smart, do your research and disable only a few at a time and test between each time. Start with stopped non Microsoft services and move your way up.

However be aware that 6 months down the line when you decide to install a peripheral (camera, printer, microphone....) or a program that relies on Areo, or the many other services that get called "useless" that no matter what you do they don't work, because you've forgotten what you've disabled or that one service needs another to operate and so it becomes a jungle.

That's why you research, so when that time comes you'll remember what you've disabled and what each one does so you can go back and enable the ones you need.

It's not a race to the bottom.

Considering you're booting from "some shitty ass HD", disabling superfetch is almost certainly what caused this.  It is designed to learn what you use often and keep it in RAM where it can be accessed in an instant.  By turning that off, you've made your system go to the HDD for everything which will be much slower.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.