Run Ubuntu from SD card?

Hi,

So, I have a fairly old netbook that I currently have running Ubuntu (not sure which version). However, it is running off of the hard drive that came with it, and is painfully slow at booting, launching programs, and navigating the OS. My question is, can I install Ubuntu on an SD card can run it from there (I think SD cards are faster, if they are not, feel free to set me straight). I am hoping to get a performance increase without having to buy an SSD. I am not looking for a powerhouse workstation (it only has 1GB of ram and an Intel Atom something-or-other) but I would like to be able to use it without waiting 2 minutes for Firefox to open. 

Please Quote or tag me @GigabitXe to make sure I see your reply. 

Well you have 2 options.

1) Get a REALLY cheap chinese SSD, you can get like a 64 gig model for 20-ish bucks

2) Get a decent SD card, like 50mb/s read and write sequential is a general direction you want to aim for because cheap SD's get like 5-ish mb/s write so you can imagine random reads and writes being complete crap.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

3 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Well you have 2 options.

1) Get a REALLY cheap chinese SSD, you can get like a 64 gig model for 20-ish bucks

2) Get a decent SD card, like 50mb/s read and write sequential is a general direction you want to aim for because cheap SD's get like 5-ish mb/s write so you can imagine random reads and writes being complete crap.

That's what I thought, thank you for you input. 

10 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Well you have 2 options.

In regards to 2, the netbook probably doesn't have an SD reader connected to anything faster than USB 2.0 resulting in limited speeds.

18 minutes ago, Space2867 said:

Hi,

So, I have a fairly old netbook that I currently have running Ubuntu (not sure which version). However, it is running off of the hard drive that came with it, and is painfully slow at booting, launching programs, and navigating the OS. My question is, can I install Ubuntu on an SD card can run it from there (I think SD cards are faster, if they are not, feel free to set me straight). I am hoping to get a performance increase without having to buy an SSD. I am not looking for a powerhouse workstation (it only has 1GB of ram and an Intel Atom something-or-other) but I would like to be able to use it without waiting 2 minutes for Firefox to open. 

I think a flash drive would be faster than an SD card so if that's an option I'd choose that instead.

My main computer:

i7 6700k || GTX 1070 || Asus Z170 RGB || C.M. Hyper 212 EVO || 16GB RAM || 256GB NVMe SSD || 500GB SATA SSD || 12TB total HDD || Define R5 Blackout || 850W PSU

More Details Below :) 

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k                             GPU:  EVGA GTX 1070 FTW                                  |  Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Aura
CPU Cooler: C.M. Hyper 212 EVO             RAM: 16GB Kingston Fury 4x4 DDR4 2400MHz         SSD:  Intel 256GB NVMe SSD & Plextor 500GB SATA SSD

Hard Drive:  WD 2TB Black, 2TB WD Blue, 8TB WD Red     Case:  Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition   PSU:  Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W

Additional Computer Parts: NZXT Hue for LEDs

Peripherals: Dell U2414H (x2) || Corsair Sabre RGB || Corsair K95 Platinum || Sennheiser 558's || Modmic

Pictures of setup:

3 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

In regards to 2, the netbook probably doesn't have an SD reader connected to anything faster than USB 2.0 resulting in limited speeds.

Well i wouldn't be too sure about that.

I have a laptop and for some reason it can read from an sd card at 40/50 mb/s and it only has USB 2.0 ports, no idea how it works but somehow the SD slot is faster than the usb ports.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

2 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

I have a laptop and for some reason it can read from an sd card at 40/50 mb/s and it only has USB 2.0 ports, no idea how it works but somehow the SD slot is faster than the usb ports.

The maximum theoretical speed of USB 2.0 is 60MBps, so that could still be on the USB 2.0 controller and achieve those speeds.

My main computer:

i7 6700k || GTX 1070 || Asus Z170 RGB || C.M. Hyper 212 EVO || 16GB RAM || 256GB NVMe SSD || 500GB SATA SSD || 12TB total HDD || Define R5 Blackout || 850W PSU

More Details Below :) 

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k                             GPU:  EVGA GTX 1070 FTW                                  |  Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Aura
CPU Cooler: C.M. Hyper 212 EVO             RAM: 16GB Kingston Fury 4x4 DDR4 2400MHz         SSD:  Intel 256GB NVMe SSD & Plextor 500GB SATA SSD

Hard Drive:  WD 2TB Black, 2TB WD Blue, 8TB WD Red     Case:  Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition   PSU:  Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W

Additional Computer Parts: NZXT Hue for LEDs

Peripherals: Dell U2414H (x2) || Corsair Sabre RGB || Corsair K95 Platinum || Sennheiser 558's || Modmic

Pictures of setup:

1 minute ago, samcool55 said:

I guess so however this is probably a netbook from 2012 with an Atom N450 or something similar. the manufacturer probably would not splurge on a fast reader. My netbook only reaches around 19MB/s on a decent SD card while being a newer model.
@Space2867 If you have an SD card could you see what sort of transfer rates you can achieve?

If you can, avoid using an SD card, if possible use a USB3 higherspeed flash drive (I have one with 250/250 MBps speeds), it will result in a better experience overall. 

Btw. there is a LTT video coming with exactly this thought (on FP right now, should be on YT around thursday / friday), the result is that you technically can, but you shouldn't. It felt worse than a normal HDD (from watching the video). 

1 hour ago, ScratchCat said:

I guess so however this is probably a netbook from 2012 with an Atom N450 or something similar. the manufacturer probably would not splurge on a fast reader. My netbook only reaches around 19MB/s on a decent SD card while being a newer model.
@Space2867 If you have an SD card could you see what sort of transfer rates you can achieve?

The SD card I have is just a class 4 (8GB), so I wouldn't expect that it would be that great. Plus, based on everything that was mentioned here, I think I will just wait until I find a SSD on sale. :) 

I think what has been said about HDD/SSD/SD cards has been covered already, but what hasn't been covered, is that depending on the Notebook, Ubuntu might just be too much despite what kind of mass media it is running from. OP might be better of with something lighter (Lubuntu, or Mint Mate variety or anything aimed at a notebook) and a proper SSD ! B|

It's not the HDD which makes notebooks slow, but usually anything but, like slower CPU and less RAM!

13 hours ago, niculrk said:

If you can, avoid using an SD card, if possible use a USB3 higherspeed flash drive (I have one with 250/250 MBps speeds), it will result in a better experience overall. 

Btw. there is a LTT video coming with exactly this thought (on FP right now, should be on YT around thursday / friday), the result is that you technically can, but you shouldn't. It felt worse than a normal HDD (from watching the video). 

As someone who uses Linux on a USB daily, USB 3 makes the experience more usable however if the stick is poor at random reads the system will be frustrating to use if a copy operation is being run. If you give the system a few minutes after being turned on to cache most common entries it works well (apart from system updates where the UI will freeze for 15 seconds or more repeatedly).