Guys, I know what I'm doing this summer...

Hey guys, so I think I know what I want to do this summer. Let me start by saying I'm a car enthusiast before a PC builder but I love them both and I want to do a project that brings them both together. So I had already planned to build a new stereo system in my 2012 Volkswagen Jetta, and now I want to take it a step further. So my goal is this: build quality stereo set-up, build a small PC to fit into the car, run the whole car from PC, be a happy beaver. Id love to run all the EQ's right from the car on the PC along with any apps, games, videos etc. The machines main purpose will be a multimedia player for the multiple displays I have planned for it. The PC will also act as an Android emulator for some of the Android-specific tasks I'd like to do. So this is where you guys come in, What kind of specs do you think this thing will need? How small of a PC can you build to fit into most likely a glove box of a car? Can you keep it under a $1000USD budget? Any tips would be nice and if enough people are interested I'll document the build process.

If you're interested in the stereo equipment this is whats going into it.

-Sony MEX XB100BT head unit

-Digital Designs AW6.5 mid-range speakers (front and back)

-Digital Designs VO-B4 bullet tweeters (front and back)

-Digital Designs 9915A 15" woofer

-Digital Designs DM2500 monoblock amp

Haven't picked out an amp for my mids and highs or a signal processor yet. Also, I will be picking up a second battery, proper wires for install, Dynamat for trunk and doors, and a bigger alternator. 

so lmk if you want to see more!!1

CPU I7 8700k Motherboard Asus Strix Z370E RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3000 GPU Gigabyte Windforce 1060 6gb OC Edition Case Fractal Design Meshify C Storage Samsung 960 EVO M.2 500GB NVMe PSU Corsair RM650x  Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H55 Quiet Edition 

Mini ITX system or maybe a NUC 

1 minute ago, RoyalGamer1 said:

dumb lol just use a SSD ig or use a raspberry pi if you can

??????

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

1 minute ago, JDE said:

Mini ITX system or maybe a NUC 

??????

cars move, HHD= moving is bad SSD= moving is okay

dumb as in they make stuff like this already like a stereo with multi screen hook ups that can play videos and pictures and all that even GPS. have the one the dash play the video as the ones in the headrest  

Just now, RoyalGamer1 said:

dumb as in they make stuff like this already like a stereo with multi screen hook ups that can play videos and pictures and all that even GPS. have the one the dash play the video as the ones in the headrest  

Why not just have a NUC??? 

It's much more powerful than a RPI!

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

1 minute ago, JDE said:

Why not just have a NUC??? 

It's much more powerful than a RPI!

I guess I forgot they existed lol

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys so I thought about using something like a NUC or RPI but I want the full PC experience in my car. I do a lot of car shows during the summer and who knows maybe ill want to play Vermintide 2 or something while I'm out and about? Throwing a tablet or something in there is the easy way out and has been done more times than I can count. 

CPU I7 8700k Motherboard Asus Strix Z370E RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3000 GPU Gigabyte Windforce 1060 6gb OC Edition Case Fractal Design Meshify C Storage Samsung 960 EVO M.2 500GB NVMe PSU Corsair RM650x  Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H55 Quiet Edition 

On 4/29/2018 at 4:41 PM, RoyalGamer1 said:

This is true, they do make units like that. Ive actually used things like this in a few different vehicles. But I really am aiming for a full PC. Probably the miniest mini ITX I can come up with.

Since you are planing to use the glove compartment, don't bother with a pc case. You may want a removable tray on which the motherboard can be mounted and the gpu will need a bit of support.

Use a 65W TDP cpu like a locked i5 or Ryzen 5 2600.

Providing adequate airflow will likely be a challenge.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

On 5/11/2018 at 8:28 PM, brob said:

Providing adequate airflow will likely be a challenge.

Yeah, I've been a little stumped on the airflow part. I'm probably going to have to fiberglass some sort of air vents probably under the glove box area towards the floor.