GTX960 or R9 280X

Hi community!

I'm from Vietnam and have roughly $130-$140 to spend on an used graphics card - and since i'm building a new rigs, i'm getting a new power supply

In Vietnam, a 650W power supply is ~$5 more expensive than a 550W one. Both are Bronze rated so quality wise, it's decent. Remove the PSU factor

I've gathered choices, and most compelling amongst are GTX960 Windforce G1 or MSi 2 fans version(~$150) and R9 280X MSi Twin Frozr(~$125). If i'm going with the 960 then i'll use the 550W PSU & if i'm going with the 280X i'll use a 650W one

:D I use air conditioner but don't want to spend a hell lot in electricity bills & I play CS:GO, GTA V, Battlefield 4, Fortnite, Minecraft & except for Minecraft, which i'll be playing on Max, I play mainly on Low/Medium 1080p. And a bit of streaming too, i'll use GPU acceleration for encoding to YouTube. 

Will 2GB on 960 kill the gameplay? Will 280X's 250W TDP kill my electricity bills? Which one should I choose? 

Thanks!<I will have adequate cooling within my case>

And I'll be doing some light video editing, and photo editing too, if matters?

Is sacrificing 130W on extra 10-12fps and 1 more GB of memory worth it?

Will an OC GTX960 come close to a 280X?

Well, if you want the extra memory, I'm sure this will really help. So I recommend getting the 280x, as it's even better than the 1050 ti itself. But, if you are more focused on the wattage of your GPU. I might go for the 1060, as it won't kill your home or PSU at all. Here is a link for the averages for both the 960 and 280x, it seems like similar performance to me. http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-960-vs-AMD-R9-280X/3165vs2192

BF1.png

~Rafin

Keep in mind that TDP =/= actual electricity use.

I would go with the 280X because it's cheaper and it's overall a better card.

I am unsure how much electricity costs in Vietnam, but it shouldn't be an exhorbitant bill increase if you go with the 280X over the 960.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

1 minute ago, OpRaficcino said:

Well, if you want the extra memory, I'm sure this will really help. So I recommend getting the 280x, as it's even better than the 1050 ti itself. But, if you are more focused on the wattage of your GPU. I might go for the 1060, as it won't kill your home or PSU at all. Here is a link for the averages for both the 960 and 280x, it seems like similar performance to me. http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-960-vs-AMD-R9-280X/3165vs2192

I would say getting the 280x, more memory, way better performance. I wouldn't really about the TDP that much if you have a good PSU, I'm sure the electricity in your country is forgiving as well.

~Rafin

Thanks guys

1kWh is roughly 1500VND which is about $0.075

How much would my PC take from the wall, in terms of kWh if i'm having a 280X and i5 3570? 6h a day for 40 days

It's an extra question but it would be nice if someone answer it :D

With your cpu and the 280x together, I would see 346 on average of TDP from the wall. I don't really know about the money part though, sorry.

2 minutes ago, GenisysVN said:

Thanks guys

1kWh is roughly 1500VND which is about $0.075

How much would my PC take from the wall, in terms of kWh if i'm having a 280X and i5 3570? 6h a day for 40 days

It's an extra question but it would be nice if someone answer it :D

~Rafin

3 minutes ago, OpRaficcino said:

With your cpu and the 280x together, I would see 346 on average of TDP from the wall. I don't really know about the money part though, sorry.

Thanks guys

I'll try to low ball some idiots with his 280X :D It seems ok with the electricity bills