Looking for a keyboard!

Hello masters LTTipers!

I just recently got the feeling that my keyboard is aiming for Silicon Heaven soon.
Unfortunately this is not the case when I was just waiting for it to happen so I could justify purchase of new piece of hardware and laugh about it. 
Actually I kinda liked that old junk of mine (Logitech G15 2nd gen) and although old and clunky sometimes I was just happy nonetheless. Anyways, I started looking around for some decent replacement but without luck.
That's the point where you come to help! As it is utterly needed. I have some (in my mind) reasonable requirements but I can't seem to fulfill them. Let me sum it up and follow with some examples!

What I wanted?!

• Mechanical - I feel like It's just about time to get something real for once!
  • Backlit - I don't really care about the color as I am full black plastic only and with one led on my table (mouse) can change to any color.
  • red/brown - From what I heard and my personal experience I'd most happily settle for either red (1st choice) or brown switches. It doesn't have to be MX for that reason but the feel should be about the same.
  • Macros - I seriously love, use and would like to keep using programmable keys. Similar to the ones Logitech G15 has. with ability to map any unhandy (out of reach) keys or whole timed key press chains.
  • Wrist rest - (included wrist rest, not standalone) For whatever reason and after so many years of using it, I am really heavily dependent on that. I somewhat love that huge looks of those kind of keyboards (take a peek at G15 ;)).

(Mechanical > Macros > Switch Types > Backlit > Wrist rest)

What I really don't care about?!

• Brand - As long as the keyboard has decent reviews I am not interested in brand. I am not any kind of special fanboy.
  • Fancy looks - I am not really into that super colored stuff, and certainly have my style but I can basically live with anything.
  • Price - I am not really interested in spending way too much or having features I don't necessarily need, but I will somewhat swallow that fact if the keyboard has all of above "wants". 

What I already was thinking about but lost interest, for whatever reason (means, they were damn close, but failed in the long run)

• Logitech G910 - I love the G keys (similar to the old ones), I love the wrist rest. But I actually hate that inward key bent and seriously dislike the child blue phone holder which I would not use anyway (as I have experience with display). Also I am not sure how to feel about romero-G switches. Also the price is kinda high, don't get me wrong though! I would gladly spend the cash, weren't there several cons as stated before.
  • Connect It Evogear - I love the black/gray metal looks. Not sure about the budget-y feel on that one + I lack the programmable keys.
  • Lenovo Y Gaming Mechanical Switch Keyboard - I would immediately buy this one, weren't for the macro keys. I have problem with it being so far off. I am left handed, you see, and I am used to push those macro keys with my little finger while gaming (rest of my fingers on WSAD).

Now you might actually think that I am never really satisfied and douche to begin with, which might be true, but I actually saw literally the keyboards I wanted but with a catch!

• Corsair K55 RGB (not mechanical)
  • Logitech G710 (not sold anymore)
  • Logitech G613 (no backlight + wireless :()

If any of you actually have experience with any keyboard above please share it and advise me as I am lost. If you actually just saw a keyboard I want but I am just too dumb to find, please leave me a note as well! Or just share a keyboard that you think might suit me for whatever reason. It's nearly a week and I was not able to get hands on the right keyboard (like literally LOL!)

Thank you in advance guys!

For myself the SteelSeries 6GV2 did mighty fine, not sure if you can still buy them.

But seeing as you want back-light and macros this wouldn't be your best option. If you loved the Bullyhunters campaign you directly support them by buying from Steelseries lol

Just asking, ever thought about moving the macro buttons to your mouse? Once I bound my commonly used functions to my new mouse its macro keys I've been able to hit them quicker & more reliably.

As per keyboard recommendation sorry to say lad but I do not have a good answer for that tbh

I'll keep an eye on this thread however, feels like I might find my next keyboard here .. my 6GV2 is wearing down quite a bit

Not sure if any of what I said will help, anyhow good luck finding a keyboard matey!

Pretty sure there is something out there for everyone ;)

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

Thanks for the note! I actually was suggested SteelSeries 6GV2 once already (by close friend of mine) unfortunately it is neither available for purchase anymore nor quite fitting my requirements. But I actually heard about it already so I suppose it's quality on a "board".

As for the mouse macros, I do have capable mouse! But actually it all comes to me being left-handed - so I have to either press those macro buttons with little finger on mouse or the one on the keyboard which might not be obvious at first, but damn it's a difference! I actually might settle for that in the end as I am unsure to ever find a proper keyboard at this point! :D

I have the K70 Lux rgb and it is awesome and it comes with everything you want except dedicated macro buttons, though, every key is reprogrammable so for example you could reprogram the numpad

⬇ - PC specs down below - ⬇

The Impossibox

CPU: (x2) Xeon X5690 12c/24t (6c/12t per cpu)

Motherboard: EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2)

RAM: 48Gb (12x4gb) server DDR3 ECC

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Case: Modded Lian-LI PC-08

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb and a 2Tb HDD

PSU: 1000W something or other I forget

Display(s): 24" Acer G246HL

Cooling: (x2) Corsair H100i v2

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB MX Browns

Mouse: Logitech G600

Headphones: Sennheiser HD558

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Folding info so I don't lose it: 

WhisperingKnickers

Join us on the x58 page it is awesome!

x58 Fan Page

1 minute ago, Hellfireuzu said:

Thanks for the note! I actually was suggested SteelSeries 6GV2 once already (by close friend of mine) unfortunately it is neither available for purchase anymore nor quite fitting my requirements. But I actually heard about it already so I suppose it's quality on a "board".

As for the mouse macros, I do have capable mouse! But actually it all comes to me being left-handed - so I have to either press those macro buttons with little finger on mouse or the one on the keyboard which might not be obvious at first, but damn it's a difference! I actually might settle for that in the end as I am unsure to ever find a proper keyboard at this point! :D

Just looked and it is indeed hard to get now, I can however still find my Belgian AZERTY on SteelSeries website.

I'd settle with what works best for you, if you can order a couple of keyboards and try them out.

Some Belgian retailers have a no questions asked refund policy (Even if you opened the box).

Just open it without tearing it like a bear.

You'll find one, if you are specific like myself it can take a good while to find exactly what you are looking for. But in the end that is so worth it!

who ya gonna call?

*Terrible joke I know*

3 minutes ago, WhisperingKnickers said:

I have the K70 Lux rgb and it is awesome and it comes with everything you want except dedicated macro buttons, though, every key is reprogrammable so for example you could reprogram the numpad

I actually crossed over the K70 throughout my search, but for whatever reason I closed the link and never returned it afterwards! Thanks for the suggestion although I'd really like for those macro keys to be dedicated. Anyway while I was looking for 70 I've noticed that K95 platinum exists (which costs nearly the same in my country, lol) and that kinda solves the problem with dedicated keys. I'll have to get my hands on it though as the switches are different (speed or whatever).

Just now, Hellfireuzu said:

I actually crossed over the K70 throughout my search, but for whatever reason I closed the link and never returned it afterwards! Thanks for the suggestion although I'd really like for those macro keys to be dedicated. Anyway while I was looking for 70 I've noticed that K95 platinum exists (which costs nearly the same in my country, lol) and that kinda solves the problem with dedicated keys. I'll have to get my hands on it though as the switches are different (speed or whatever).

If you look around online you may be able to get the k95 in the switches you want. If you can and depending on your budget you could also play with the idea of buying replacement switches and replacing them on you own

⬇ - PC specs down below - ⬇

The Impossibox

CPU: (x2) Xeon X5690 12c/24t (6c/12t per cpu)

Motherboard: EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2)

RAM: 48Gb (12x4gb) server DDR3 ECC

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Case: Modded Lian-LI PC-08

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb and a 2Tb HDD

PSU: 1000W something or other I forget

Display(s): 24" Acer G246HL

Cooling: (x2) Corsair H100i v2

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB MX Browns

Mouse: Logitech G600

Headphones: Sennheiser HD558

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Folding info so I don't lose it: 

WhisperingKnickers

Join us on the x58 page it is awesome!

x58 Fan Page

Aha. I noticed the word “wrist rest”.

No matter what keyboard you choose I think I can customize one wrist rest for you.

On 4/28/2018 at 11:41 AM, Hellfireuzu said:

K95 Platinum does suit all the needs and wants you requested.  One feature that it has that you might be interested in, but didn't mention, is hardware playback.  You can save your macros to one three onboard profiles, and use them without the iCUE software if you travel and take the keyboard with you.  As far as switches go, the speeds will be very similar to reds, but with a shorter travel and actuation distance, so they will be more responsive.  Browns are another option available, which is one switch that you mentioned in your original post.  Let me know if you have any questions about the K95 Platinum, and I can help you out.

Looking for more details about a product, or experiencing technical issues?  Visit our support page below, and one of our Technical Support staff can help you out:

https://support.corsair.com/

K95 sounds like your best bet. Although there are other ones too:

G.skill KM780: Jayztwocents done a review and seemed to like this keyboard. Video available on youtube. On the flip side I have read some bad reviews also, one including a user (cannot remember what forum, possibly this one or Reddit) claiming the keyboard only lasted 6 months before falling apart.

Blackwidow Chroma V2- The keys are mechanical but are Razers own switches. Obviously the brand name speaks for itself. Search for reviews on switches as I have read that they generally compare to Cherry MX but are a tad mushier. Personal preference and all that Jazz

And lastly ill include Viper V770, solely included because it has the macro keys you are looking for. I haven't looked into this much myself.

I settled a G910 arriving Wednesday to replace my K55. Going to make myself get used to the keys. If it turns out that the angled keys are too much then there is always the option to get the regular keys straight from Logitech. 

Edit: My buddy got a K70 about 2 years ago as a present. He is still raving about it to this day and has a desk full of good stuff in from of him and he still regards the K70 as his best piece of kit. This would be testament to the quality the K95 with those macros would bring you. 

On 4/30/2018 at 8:50 AM, MakerThink said:

Aha. I noticed the word “wrist rest”.

No matter what keyboard you choose I think I can customize one wrist rest for you.

Is that so? You got any pictures on your hands? :)

11 hours ago, garyhogan1991 said:

K95 sounds like your best bet. Although there are other ones too:

G.skill KM780: Jayztwocents done a review and seemed to like this keyboard. Video available on youtube. On the flip side I have read some bad reviews also, one including a user (cannot remember what forum, possibly this one or Reddit) claiming the keyboard only lasted 6 months before falling apart.

Blackwidow Chroma V2- The keys are mechanical but are Razers own switches. Obviously the brand name speaks for itself. Search for reviews on switches as I have read that they generally compare to Cherry MX but are a tad mushier. Personal preference and all that Jazz

And lastly ill include Viper V770, solely included because it has the macro keys you are looking for. I haven't looked into this much myself.

I settled a G910 arriving Wednesday to replace my K55. Going to make myself get used to the keys. If it turns out that the angled keys are too much then there is always the option to get the regular keys straight from Logitech. 

Edit: My buddy got a K70 about 2 years ago as a present. He is still raving about it to this day and has a desk full of good stuff in from of him and he still regards the K70 as his best piece of kit. This would be testament to the quality the K95 with those macros would bring you. 

Epic! Several more options to pick from!! I'll dive into it so I can get myself the best choice.

2 hours ago, Hellfireuzu said:

Epic! Several more options to pick from!! I'll dive into it so I can get myself the best choice.

Like this one.

40EFD3B0-CAE7-4C2E-9371-94D8F2E97B82.jpeg

8 hours ago, Hellfireuzu said:

Just want to follow up on this, my G910 actually arrived this morning, a day early. I've used it throughout the day and I am blown away. The spectrum newer model has regular keycaps. The switches are amazing. 

20180501_193625.jpg

12 hours ago, geo3 said:

Too much extension, those need to be higher.  

“Extension”, you mean the part of small arms touching the desktop, right?

Yes, I always prefer a lower desktop / a higher chair, or using the keyboard on the lap or a lap height plate.

3 minutes ago, MakerThink said:

“Extension”, you mean the part of small arms touching the desktop, right?

Yes, I always prefer a lower desktop / a higher chair, or using the keyboard on the lap or a lap height plate.

Wrist extension. http://www.ergovancouver.net/wrist_movements.htm

The wrists should be more straighter. 

23 hours ago, garyhogan1991 said:

Just want to follow up on this, my G910 actually arrived this morning, a day early. I've used it throughout the day and I am blown away. The spectrum newer model has regular keycaps. The switches are amazing. 

20180501_193625.jpg

Wanted to quickly give an update on my situation.

6GV2 finally gave out and is now in PCMR Heaven.

After some heavy thinking the G910 ended up looking like a great option.

It arrived this morning and I have to say really pleased so far.

Keys barely wobble and the switches feel different but in a good way.

RGB is totally not necessary but looks stunning, so there is that.

It is quite expensive, but has all the bells and whistles.

Part of the reason why I got this is because before I already used mostly Logitech peripherals now I can use one piece of software to rule them all.

Which I wouldn't be able to do with lets say a Corsair keyboard.

who ya gonna call?

*Terrible joke I know*

• 1 month later...

So, to actually close this topic. In the end I was able to purchase newer version of G910 (the spectrum one) as well. + It was even at sales for lover price so I couldn't really hesitate. As you stated before the newer version got rid of those goddamn keycaps and has better palm rest. The Keyboard quality is overall perfect! it's also heavy as brick :D Couldn't be happier. Also a quick fun fact -  you can just drag and drop macros from your old G keyboards onto the new one with logitech's software. Since I had some several really complicated one's I was really happy about this feature :D