Free VPN?

Any reccomendations for a free vpn?

or should i just use https everywhere if that is better?

I was using tunnel bear before but now idk what to use

Free VPN isnt worth even logging into. They are logging your every move, they have data limits, etc. PIA is $50US a year and highly recomended.

4 hours ago, Matthew01 said:

or should i just use https everywhere if that is better?

Totally depends on what you want to achieve.
Judging from your note regarding HTTP-Everywhere I'm going to assume you do not want to connect multiple computers within a virtual network.

If you want to encrypt your internet traffic in general, than a browser plugin such as HTTPS-Everywhere won't do much, as every bit of communication not done by the web browser will not be forced to be TLS-encrypted. Also, There are still some websites that do not provide a HTTPS connection.

If you want to stay anonymous on the web while browsing on some websites, than a dedicated Browser with build in anit-surveillance measures such as the Tor Browser will do the job. It's even possible route all of you internet traffic through the onion network - transparent for every application you run. However the tor-network is sometimes slow and quite a few websites block traffic from known Tor-Exit-Nodes. Therefore you cannot use every service on the internet.

If you just want to circumvent geoblocking and don't really care about privacy, you can just stick with any free VPN-provider. However I don't know which of them are good/bad.

Offtopic: I'm amazed that Tunnelbear's advertisement at LinusTechTips seems to pay off :D

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/04/2018 at 7:00 PM, dust. said:

Totally depends on what you want to achieve.
Judging from your note regarding HTTP-Everywhere I'm going to assume you do not want to connect multiple computers within a virtual network.

If you want to encrypt your internet traffic in general, than a browser plugin such as HTTPS-Everywhere won't do much, as every bit of communication not done by the web browser will not be forced to be TLS-encrypted. Also, There are still some websites that do not provide a HTTPS connection.

If you want to stay anonymous on the web while browsing on some websites, than a dedicated Browser with build in anit-surveillance measures such as the Tor Browser will do the job. It's even possible route all of you internet traffic through the onion network - transparent for every application you run. However the tor-network is sometimes slow and quite a few websites block traffic from known Tor-Exit-Nodes. Therefore you cannot use every service on the internet.

If you just want to circumvent geoblocking and don't really care about privacy, you can just stick with any free VPN-provider. However I don't know which of them are good/bad.

Offtopic: I'm amazed that Tunnelbear's advertisement at LinusTechTips seems to pay off :D

Pretty much this. Depends what you want out of the VPN really. As a rule of thumb I wouldn't suggest using free VPN's because of data logging and such. Why do you think they are free in the first place? I personally use NordVPN and Duck Duck Go for search engine. But if you don't care about your privacy that's your call :)

depends on what you need a vpn for,

if you just want to secure your connection on public wifi 

a vm running at home should do the trick

set up a outline vpn / open vpn 

https://getoutline.org/en/home

its free and open source 

Well you can use Hola vpn, it's free one. Also you can try private proxy, this for example https://buy.fineproxy.org/eng/3000proxy.html . As for me it''s much better 'cause no one can monitor them, no one can see what you are doing online which is perfect for me, I love torrents and streaming from various countries.