Laptop internet connection keeps dropping

'ello gents,

My laptop keeps losing connectivity with the wifi router. It keeps trying to connect to my router before showing that no wifi networks are available, not even the neighbours'. The only solution is to disable then enable wifi a few times in my laptop's network settings and then, after a few minutes, it connects again. (this happened while I was typing up this post) I'm certain this is specific to this laptop as I've tried my other devices and I have yet to recreate the problem on them; they connect just fine. One of those other devices is a T530 running the same OS. I have a feeling this is a hardware issue as I'm running a 9 year old Lenovo T500 with a broken screen that's held together in one corner by a clamp. OS is Linux Mint 17.3 with the MATE desktop. This has only started happening in the last week or so.

But, before I take this computer out back behind the shed and tearfully blow both barrels through it's confused little face, by which I mean take it to Memory Express to have it recycled, does anyone have any ideas as to any potential software related causes that may be involved? (I don't have high hopes, but I figure it's worth a shot)

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy