Molex Crimping Tool

johnny5c

I'm going to go with custom cables on my next build and I'm looking for a good crimping tool.  I have a cheap one that I bought 15 years ago for a WC Barton build but it's a real pita to use so hopefully someone can recommend a better one because I'm going to have 70+ connections to do.  Thanks in advance for any help.

The Engineer PA-20 might do the trick. Apparently the wires in PC Molex-connectors are usually AWG 18 and tool is good up to AWG 16, if needed. Before you ask, no, I have never used them nor crimped Molex - stuff, but their PA-09's are all the rage for crimping smaller stuff, like e.g. JST-PH 2.0 and similar.

http://www.engineer.jp/en/products/pa09e.html

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

6 hours ago, johnny5c said:

I'm going to go with custom cables on my next build and I'm looking for a good crimping tool.  I have a cheap one that I bought 15 years ago for a WC Barton build but it's a real pita to use so hopefully someone can recommend a better one because I'm going to have 70+ connections to do.  Thanks in advance for any help.

MDPC-X makes a nice one, I personally got one of the generic ones online and they work well you just need to make sure the jaws have nice sharp and defined edges. 

https://mod-one.com/mdpc-x-crimp-tool-ctx3/

6 minutes ago, W-L said:

MDPC-X makes a nice one, I personally got one of the generic ones online and they work well you just need to make sure the jaws have nice sharp and defined edges. 

https://mod-one.com/mdpc-x-crimp-tool-ctx3/

Thanks, that looks like a winner.  The one I have now has the swappable jaws and isn't bad but it's gotten so loose over the years that you kinda have to hold the whole thing together with both hands to get decent results.

29 minutes ago, johnny5c said:

Thanks, that looks like a winner.  The one I have now has the swappable jaws and isn't bad but it's gotten so loose over the years that you kinda have to hold the whole thing together with both hands to get decent results.

You can get replacement jaws on those as long as the ratching mechanism is still good. 

MDPC and others come setup each crimper and jaws individually to fine tune them to get it just perfect. 

On 4/24/2018 at 5:34 PM, johnny5c said:

MDPC=X CTX3 (Which is the best 3rd party tool in my opinion and use the most up to date Molex standards) or Official Molex Tool(If you have the money). the cheaper ones usually have improper teeth are teeth are missing completely. If you have to do any smaller terminals in 2mm range I suggest using PA-09, the racket crimper are to larger to crimp the terminal without damaging them.

Example of my own creation from CTX3:

918ILpnl.jpg

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon

5 hours ago, Revan654 said:

MDPC=X CTX3 (Which is the best 3rd party tool in my opinion and use the most up to date Molex standards) or Official Molex Tool(If you have the money). the cheaper ones usually have improper teeth are teeth are missing completely. If you have to do any smaller terminals in 2mm range I suggest using PA-09, the racket crimper are to larger to crimp the terminal without damaging them.

Example of my own creation from CTX3:

Looks great, going to go with the CTX3.  I really like the colors of their sleeve too so just waiting for my new In Win 909 to make a list of everything I'll need.  Thanks!