Ryzen 5 2400G vs Intel core i5 8400

AMD Build

CPU: Ryzen 5 2400G

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z (Non-RGB) 3200Mhz 8gb (2x4gb)

Mobo: MSI Mortar B350m

SSD: Samsung 960 Evo M.2 NVME

Intel Build

CPU: Intel Core i5 8400

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2666Mhz 8gb (1x8gb)

Mobo: MSI Bazooka B360m

SSD: Samsung 960

Hi guys, I think this is my first time posting here, I would like to have your opinion regarding these 2 build. As you can see above I have both build for AMD and Intel but I can't think of which of the 2 should I get.

First, the premise on why I need a new system is that I truly need an upgrade as my system is 5 year behind (generation wise) and 3 years old (physically) I can't do much heavy work on my current system.

I am planning to toy around my system by doing these stuff

• virtual laboratory for testing purposes, at least four concurrent VMs active (server and client things)
  • some android programming, some testing and self study
  • game development, again just for the fun of it a light 3D or 2D stuff. 
  • and of course gaming

My worry is:

1. If I run many VMs the Intel has few cores and threads compared to AMD

2. I will be using the iGPU for a while as the GPU prices are incredibly mind blowingly high

3. The upgrade path

Speaking of the upgrade path my plan is to buy a GTX 1060 6gb or 1050 ti.

In these case the Intel build is much cheaper than the AMD build.

In the AMD build my upgrade path is:

1. Sell the CPU and upgrade to Ryzen 5 1600 (for more cores and threads)

In the Intel build:

1. Sell the CPU and upgrade to Core i7 8700

2. Upgrade the CPU cooler

3. Add another RAM for Dual channel configuration

My questions are:

1. If I go with the Intel build, in upgrading the RAM, should I buy another stick of the same brand for dual channel or should I sell it and buy dual channel kit? Which is better?

2. Choosing between those build should I pick the cheaper upfront cost of the Intel build but more upgrades down the line or should I pick AMD with a little more cost but fewer upgrade cost?

3. Is the B360 boards for non oc chips of Intel good? Will it turbo boost my Intel Core i5 8400?

If you can advise me on what to do and share your knowledge to me to make this decision it will be much appreciated. Thanks

the 8400 has 2 more cores, but 2 less threads.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

16 minutes ago, adelhied said:

If you're doing gaming the R5 2400G is going to be the easy choice. The iGPU is leagues ahead of intel's. Buy the ASrock Pro 4 though, probably the best budget AM4 board

And you absolutely 100% need dual channel memory, otherwise you cut your performance in half. And you want the fastest memory you can get, probably the cheaper still though

3000mhz or above preferably.

You also probably don't need to buy an NVME SSD, better to use that money for 16gbs of RAM so you never have to worry about it.

When you upgrade on the AM4 platform in the future get the 8 core not just a 6 core.

Wolfenstein 2 is comical.5add4c542d1eb_Wolf2.thumb.png.c5e5d85b278c6b53c725d1ab28967c2d.png

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

9 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

If you're doing gaming the R5 2400G is going to be the easy choice. The iGPU is leagues ahead of intel's. Buy the ASrock Pro 4 though, probably the best budget AM4 board

And you absolutely 100% need dual channel memory, otherwise you cut your performance in half. And you want the fastest memory you can get, probably the cheaper still though

3000mhz or above preferably.

You also probably don't need to buy an NVME SSD, better to use that money for 16gbs of RAM so you never have to worry about it.

When you upgrade on the AM4 platform in the future get the 8 core not just a 6 core.

Wolfenstein 2 is comical.5add4c542d1eb_Wolf2.thumb.png.c5e5d85b278c6b53c725d1ab28967c2d.png

If I go down with AMD and buy the R5 2400g and pair it up with a B350 board do I need to update the BIOS? Maybe some board is already upgraded but in case that I need to update do I need a 1st gen ryzen to do the upgrade?

1 minute ago, adelhied said:

If I go down with AMD and buy the R5 2400g and pair it up with a B350 board do I need to update the BIOS? Maybe some board is already upgraded but in case that I need to update do I need a 1st gen ryzen to do the upgrade?

You can get a free BIOS boot kit from AMD, but probably just ask your retailer about a BIOS update first.

Most of the boards should support the APUs at this point.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Streetguru said:

You can get a free BIOS boot kit from AMD, but probably just ask your retailer about a BIOS update first.

Most of the boards should support the APUs at this point.

Thanks I would like to ask the retailer but I think it will cost me some if I let them do it which is a pain cause my budget is so tight. If I could I'd like to do it myself

1 minute ago, adelhied said:

Thanks I would like to ask the retailer but I think it will cost me some if I let them do it which is a pain cause my budget is so tight. If I could I'd like to do it myself

Spoiler