i7 8700k or 2700x

So i want to upgrade my CPU in June but i'm not sure what CPU to get i do a lot of gaming and also make games in unreal 4 so i'm not sure if i go for 8700k and get better gaming performance or go with 2700x and get better video performance and game making performance

Are you going to overclock?  Are you sure the 2700k will give you better video performance and game making performance?

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

1 minute ago, TahoeDust said:

Are you going to overclock?  Are you sure the 2700k will give you better video performance and game making performance?

yes im going to oc

I would get the 2700x

I think the 2700x would be better. The small gaming performance the 8700k has over the 2700x does not compare to the much bigger content creation gap of the 2700x.

June is still a few months away. There's not really much point planning more than 1-2 weeks into the future. 

:)

40 minutes ago, smackarow25 said:

yes im going to oc

A 5GHz 8700k will outperform a 4.2GHz 2700k in a lot more applications than not.  Unless the primary task you will be doing will use all 8 cores well, I would go with the 8700k.  The 8700k as ~28% per core performance advantage.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

5 minutes ago, TahoeDust said:

A 5GHz 8700k will outperform a 4.2GHz 2700k in a lot more applications than not.  Unless the primary task you will be doing will use all 8 cores well, I would go with the 8700k.  The 8700k as ~28% per core performance advantage.

Though what you need to consider is the price as well, to get the 8700K to 5GHz you need a fairly expensive Z370 motherboard and some fancy cooling.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

1 hour ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Though what you need to consider is the price as well, to get the 8700K to 5GHz you need a fairly expensive Z370 motherboard and some fancy cooling.

just what you would need with the AMD too, if you are planning to overclock the R7 2700x to its max you better have those beefier VRMs and cooling solution too.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

4 minutes ago, DarkSmith2 said:

just what you would need with the AMD too, if you are planning to overclock the R7 2700x to its max you better have those beefier VRMs and cooling solution too.

Overclocking it is pointless, you go B350 and leave it at stock, it boosts to over 4GHz on all cores out of the box anyway. At a lot lower voltage at that too.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

What GPU, resolution and refresh rate?

If you're just going to aim for 1080p 60FPS with a GTX 1060 then the difference between these CPUs will be unnoticeable.

Intel is capable of pushing out more frames but you need a 1080Ti and a 144Hz monitor to really notice and even then, the 2700X isn't usually that far behind in many games. If you did want to squeeze out as many frames as possible and have a high end GPU with a 1080p/144Hz monitor (1440p to a lesser extent) then the 8700K is undeniably better.

Outside of gaming it depends on the software you use and how you use them. For example, creating a simple map or mobile game with Unreal would be much less demanding than using it to create the next Unreal Tournament. I would imagine both CPUs are perfectly capable of this task and it would be difficult to tell the difference between these CPUs, but I don't know much about the engines development tools to pass judgment. I would research the tools you use to see how they utilize hardware.

Ultimately I think both would be absolutely fine, I don't feel like there is a wrong choice.

3 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Pretty much any z370 board will do 5ghz with no issues and a decent air cooler

Overclocking it is pointless, you go B350 and leave it at stock, it boosts to over 4GHz on all cores out of the box anyway. At a lot lower voltage at that too.

B450 yes b350 no the 350 boards are missing a lot of feature that 2nd gen needs

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

13 minutes ago, Ebony Falcon said:

My 2700X typically boosts to 4GHz on all cores with a B350 Strix.

Highest I saw it was 4.050GHz with a CM 212 EVO with pretty warm ambient temperatures (about 27C). Can imagine it going a little higher if it had a better cooler and/or cooler ambient.

11 minutes ago, Ebony Falcon said:

Examples? Source for this claim? I haven't heard about anything like that.

12 minutes ago, Ebony Falcon said:

Pretty much any z370 board will do 5ghz with no issues and a decent air cooler

Perhaps, though it kind of depends on how long it will maintain that clock speed and how fast will the VRM section degrade and blow up ^_^

1 hour ago, Twirlz said:

My 2700X typically boosts to 4GHz on all cores with a B350 Strix.

Highest I saw it was 4.05GHz with a CM 212 EVO with pretty warm ambient temperatures.

There are a lot of other thing that 4xx does with ram sun timings ect too

Examples? Source for this claim? I haven't heard about anything like that.

Perhaps, though it kind of depends on how long it will maintain that clock speed and how fast will the VRM section degrade and blow up ^_^

Head over to YouTube and check out some of gamers nexuses latest videos

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

27 minutes ago, Ebony Falcon said:

Head over to YouTube and check out some of gamers nexuses latest videos

Gamers Nexus only did memory tests, this has nothing to do with that. You stated that the B450 chipset has "a lot of features that 2nd gen needs" - what exactly are those features? Even between the X370 and X470 there's realistically no difference, I'd expect pretty much no difference between lower-end B-series chipsets.

A Ryzen 7 2700X can easily hold a boost clock of 4GHz on all cores on a B350 motherboard, assuming the board isn't crap and the VRM section can actually handle this.

Is Ryzen take it easy on RAM compatibility now? My RAM is CMK8GX4M2A2400C14 and it's not even list on any Ryzen's mainboard QVL, can it work, will bus 2400 suck for AMD?

9 hours ago, DarkSmith2 said:

it'd be alot cheaper on amds end since the cpus run cooler then intels

2 hours ago, War91 said:

it'd be alot cheaper on amds end since the cpus run cooler then intels

if it would, the wraith cooler would be enough, wouldnt it? but 100°C tells a different story though

iWKad22.jpg

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

10 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Gamers Nexus only did memory tests, this has nothing to do with that. You stated that the B450 chipset has "a lot of features that 2nd gen needs" - what exactly are those features? Even between the X370 and X470 there's realistically no difference, I'd expect pretty much no difference between lower-end B-series chipsets.

A Ryzen 7 2700X can easily hold a boost clock of 4GHz on all cores on a B350 motherboard, assuming the board isn't crap and the VRM section can actually handle this.

3xx Does not support xfr2, procisian boot,

i didnt say chipset because chip set is nearly identical but the 4xx boards have more features to get more out of ryzen 2

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

30 minutes ago, Ebony Falcon said:

3xx Does not support xfr2, procisian boot,

i didnt say chipset because chip set is nearly identical but the 4xx boards have more features to get more out of ryzen 2

Only the Precision Boost Overdrive doesn't work on B350, it's not a too relevant feature though, especially for budget boards since it only works on the "X" Ryzen 2 SKUs:

▪ Initial framework for Precision Boost Overdrive: factors VRM headroom and a relaxed vcore limiter into the Precision Boost formulae (future feature)

** Precision Boost Overdrive enables operation of the processor outside of specifications and in excess of factory settings, we anticipate use of the feature will invalidate the AMD product warranty and may also void warranties offered by the system manufacturer or retailer. Subject to change. GD-128

As for features on B350, of course they're going to be inferior to the X370/X470, that's pretty much the point of different chipsets...

But I'm curious as to where do you get the information that B450 will have "more features"? I suspect they may have some new technologies like next-gen USB etc, but that's to be expected for every newer board. I wouldn't expect anything relevant to change so all you need to do when you're looking to get a B350 board for a Pinnacle Ridge CPU is the VRM section of the motherboard and the VRM cooling on it (some have bad cooling & VRMs because they're budget boards by design) so the power-delivery system doesn't blow up on you ^_^

Any GTX1080 & 3440x1440 100Hz Ultrawide benchmarks 2700X vs 8700K ? 

Cosmic Council Department of Defense ; Interplanetary Class 3 Relations & Diplomatic Affairs - OFFICE 117

40 minutes ago, Tic-Tac said:

Any GTX1080 & 3440x1440 100Hz Ultrawide benchmarks 2700X vs 8700K ? 

1000% GPU bottleneck with everything you can buy, to make a "CPU benchmark" for this resolution, doesnt make much sense. 

2 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Only the Precision Boost Overdrive doesn't work on B350, it's not a too relevant feature though, especially for budget boards since it only works on the "X" Ryzen 2 SKUs:

As for features on B350, of course they're going to be inferior to the X370/X470, that's pretty much the point of different chipsets...

But I'm curious as to where do you get the information that B450 will have "more features"? I suspect they may have some new technologies like next-gen USB etc, but that's to be expected for every newer board. I wouldn't expect anything relevant to change so all you need to do when you're looking to get a B350 board for a Pinnacle Ridge CPU is the VRM section of the motherboard and the VRM cooling on it (some have bad cooling & VRMs because they're budget boards by design) so the power-delivery system doesn't blow up on you ^_^

This is what iv seen off of YouTube on adored tv ect, and I think it may have been post launch, glad xfr2 is working on older boards too

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper