PC's shutting down at random intervals

SirixtheUnicorn

So I recently built a PC. I purchased almost every part new, with the graphics card (A EVGA GTX 970) being used and from eBay. Everything seemed to be working fine for a while, but then I started experiencing total system shutdowns. Sometimes they'd happen within 5 minutes of playing a game, other times everything would be fine. At first, I thought something was overheating, but after several stress tests on the CPU and GPU, have concluded that the only thing not working is the graphics card. Temperatures for everything are fine, power supply isn't faulty or insufficient, I've reseated the RAM and GPU, everything seems to work fine, until I get random system shutdowns. I did drop the card once while I was building, but not very far which may be the cause of this. Anyone have any suggestions?

did u set the ram timings to the correct values when u built it, coz on auto it grabs wrong timings thus unstability  in 99% of the cases

(◑‿◐)

Assuming you are running windows?  Can you check the event log to see what happened right before the reboot?

1 minute ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

did u set the ram timings to the correct values when u built it, coz on auto it grabs wrong timings thus unstability  in 99% of the cases

No, I didn't try that. It's my first build so I was unaware that was a thing.

1 minute ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Assuming you are running windows?  Can you check the event log to see what happened right before the reboot?

I am running windows, but the PC doesn't reboot, it just turns off. Also, I don't know how to check the event log.

Just now, SirixtheUnicorn said:

No, I didn't try that. It's my first build so I was unaware that was a thing.

its kinda a basic of basics, its the first thing som1 should do when booting up, set ur ram timings correct, its probably why ur crashing ( also unstable ram timings = data corruption )  u probably blew up parts of windows aswell on unstable ram settings , ( trust me i blew up many windows,s while tweaking ram timings )   just go n set them right ... also format is recommended after ram stable

(◑‿◐)

Just now, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

its kinda a basic of basics, its the first thing som1 should do when booting up, set ur ram timings correct, its probably why ur crashing ( also unstable ram timings = data corruption )  u probably blew up parts of windows aswell on unstable ram settings , ( trust me i blew up many windows,s while tweaking ram timings )   just go n set them right ... also format is recommended after ram stable

Alright, I'll give that a try, thanks.

I am running windows, but the PC doesn't reboot, it just turns off. Also, I don't know how to check the event log.

not every bios / windows is set to automaticly reboot, if it fully shuts off its more likely a black screen of death + shutdown ( those are more critical then blue screens )   or a failing psu rly

(◑‿◐)

Verify you RAM timing as suggested, but then type event into the search bar and click event viewer.  Go through the SYSTEM LOG for the time when your computer last crashed and look for critical errors.  That's the kind of thing that crashes/rebootsd a system.

I'm @SirixtheUnicorn's friend and I directed him to this forum. If it helps, this is his system config: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QJbJbX

Crypto wallets

Spoiler

BTC/BCH: 1Cj6QoEWcW4eMSzSCFoTdUaDSDPx2d3MRh

ETH/ETC: 0x7Bedd8caF90393Fe8d7B3fB92a16E018f6A559E7

ZEC/ZCL: t1YvtW7KURn5gQgRTxUSMeFQGgyc8hFsiJr

DASH: XvcUAFbkrim7UmdP9vPJkucpJwo2YgK2RW

DCR:DsRTXueX9h5yPoEEohzLghx6fxSVDit72PT

SC: 4d4bc8273df19ecb1203520dee4420b21a40c9c353e47b7d4b791636c72f41b0ee3a331afd71

XMR: 48exYLUQWFkJh1Nk1CHXcWN4aEu6d8ovGgZskYaj92LYihdCZx2FaVLSFJhMdL8zrQ1152RG8pdj2BxfJXkKdHdWDqfaGSp

I've walked him through the BIOS and his RAM was at the correct timings, but for some reason the sticks had different frequencies, so now they're the same and we're running an AIDA64 stress test. Hopefully the GPU isn't the problem

Crypto wallets

Spoiler

SC: 4d4bc8273df19ecb1203520dee4420b21a40c9c353e47b7d4b791636c72f41b0ee3a331afd71

XMR: 48exYLUQWFkJh1Nk1CHXcWN4aEu6d8ovGgZskYaj92LYihdCZx2FaVLSFJhMdL8zrQ1152RG8pdj2BxfJXkKdHdWDqfaGSp

He's set the RAM to 2400 with the correct timings and has been playing the Witcher 3 for over an hour now with no issues, thank you all for your help! @SirixtheUnicorn, you should mark the response I quoted below as the solution.

3 hours ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

Crypto wallets

Spoiler

Update: Computer still crashes. Could be the power supply.Plugging into the wall instead of the power strip didn't help. Anyone know hoe to check if a power supply's faulty?

7 minutes ago, SirixtheUnicorn said:

Update: Computer still crashes. Could be the power supply.Plugging into the wall instead of the power strip didn't help. Anyone know hoe to check if a power supply's faulty?

Event log says that all eleven critical errors are Kernall-Power. Guess that means I have a bad power supply.

13 hours ago, SirixtheUnicorn said:

u run longer setting ram timings, did u set voltage right too? , if it still crashes with volt, try giving it a tad bit, if it runs longer stable , ram faulty

(◑‿◐)

20 hours ago, FireClawGames said:

I'm @SirixtheUnicorn's friend and I directed him to this forum. If it helps, this is his system config: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QJbJbX

17 hours ago, FireClawGames said:

He's set the RAM to 2400 with the correct timings and has been playing the Witcher 3 for over an hour now with no issues, thank you all for your help! @SirixtheUnicorn, you should mark the response I quoted below as the solution.

those sticks are 3200mhz not 2400mhz , 2400mhz is spd default

(◑‿◐)

1 hour ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

those sticks are 3200mhz not 2400mhz , 2400mhz is spd default

3200 crashed his PC, so I had him try 2400 which was more stable. I've heard that Ryzen has trouble with higher clocks for memory, so that makes some sense.

Crypto wallets

Spoiler

21 hours ago, SirixtheUnicorn said:

So I recently built a PC. I purchased almost every part new, with the graphics card (A EVGA GTX 970) being used and from eBay. Everything seemed to be working fine for a while, but then I started experiencing total system shutdowns. Sometimes they'd happen within 5 minutes of playing a game, other times everything would be fine. At first, I thought something was overheating, but after several stress tests on the CPU and GPU, have concluded that the only thing not working is the graphics card. Temperatures for everything are fine, power supply isn't faulty or insufficient, I've reseated the RAM and GPU, everything seems to work fine, until I get random system shutdowns. I did drop the card once while I was building, but not very far which may be the cause of this. Anyone have any suggestions?

Check Your Power Cable.Trust me my pc closes randomy after i plug hard the cable ::)

9 minutes ago, FireClawGames said:

3200 crashed his PC, so I had him try 2400 which was more stable. I've heard that Ryzen has trouble with higher clocks for memory, so that makes some sense.

give mem controller some extra volt  might solve it,  2400 requires spd timings btw not the timings of 3200

(◑‿◐)

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Power supply was indeed faulty. I sent it back to the retailer and got a full refund. I bought a better supply, but was a derp and accidentally sent my DATA cables back with the old supply, so now I need to buy one of those. o o f

ANOTHER UPDATE: Swapping the PSU didn't fix the issue. No memory errors. RAM Timings are correct. Drivers are up to date. I will say that I only started having this problem when I turned on the Nvidia HairWorks option in Witcher 3, and that I only have experienced the shut downs during or after playing Witcher. I'm beginning to think the wiring in my house is bad. I would appreciate any solutions to this problem.

Take the parts out of the case and use the motherboard box as a stand for the motherboard. Basically build the PC out of the case using the motherboard box as a place to set the motherboard. 

See if it happens still. Might be a short.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

1 minute ago, App4that said:

Take the parts out of the case and use the motherboard box as a stand for the motherboard. Basically build the PC out of the case using the motherboard box as a place to set the motherboard. 

See if it happens still. Might be a short.

Thing is, I've already reseated literally every physical component in my build. Twice. I don't think that's the problem.

2 minutes ago, SirixtheUnicorn said:

Thing is, I've already reseated literally every physical component in my build. Twice. I don't think that's the problem.

If the motherboard is shorting against the case it could cause that issue. Could be as simple as the power button on the case being faulty. If running outside the case fixes the issue, you know to work backwards to find what's wrong with the case.

If anyone asks you never saw me.