Looking for business / school laptop

Hello,

I've bee looking for a new laptop for work/school but having a hard time deciding.

For school, it will only need to run Word, Excel and other office programs so this isn't my main concern :P

For work, I do a lot of website designing, photo editing (photoshop and illustrator), lots of browser tabs open at once (work with customer service for a quality management system) so multitasking is a big part of my job.

Price range: ~1 300 USD - ~2 000 USD

Neat features I would like: 

• Not sure if I need a dedicated GPU, but light gaming would be an advantage.
  • Portable as I travel a lot.
  • Look good (not anything gaming related)
  • Touch screen would be nice.

I live in Norway so the laptop prices will have a bit of a difference compared to other countries like the US (from what I've seen maybe 20% more in Norway.)

Hopefully, I will get some good responses that will help me decide!

Some of the electronic stores in Norway:

https://www.komplett.no/

https://www.dustinhome.no/

https://www.power.no/

I'm absolutely recommending an XPS 15, I got one for basically the same reasons as you and it's fantastic.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Just now, Slottr said:

I'm absolutely recommending an XPS 15, I got one for basically the same reasons as you and it's fantastic.

Been looking at it, but can't decide if I want to go for the 2018 version or not. Wich version do you have? (sucks that the touch version requires 4k display...)

Macbook?

Does your school require any specific programs

My life

4 minutes ago, Himommies said:

Macbook?

Does your school require any specific programs

No mac for me ^^

Like I said, only word and excel for the moment. My work requirements will pritty much fill the gaps that I don't have at school right now.

Just now, Geekie said:

No mac for me ^^

Like I said, only word and excel for the moment. My work requirements will pritty much fill the gaps that I don't have at school right now.

Then go with the XPS 15.It's a solid pic and will last you quite a while.You might also be intrested in something like a Lg Gram or Spectre X360 but If weight isn't your biggest concern I would definitely go wit the XPS

My life

37 minutes ago, Himommies said:

Then go with the XPS 15.It's a solid pic and will last you quite a while.You might also be intrested in something like a Lg Gram or Spectre X360 but If weight isn't your biggest concern I would definitely go wit the XPS

What version/specs should I go for?

1 minute ago, Geekie said:

What version/specs should I go for?

That's really up to your personal needs

My life

Lenovo Yoga 720 15

Asus Zenbook UX461UN

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

3 hours ago, Geekie said:

Hello,

I've bee looking for a new laptop for work/school but having a hard time deciding.

For school, it will only need to run Word, Excel and other office programs so this isn't my main concern :P

For work, I do a lot of website designing, photo editing (photoshop and illustrator), lots of browser tabs open at once (work with customer service for a quality management system) so multitasking is a big part of my job.

Price range: ~1 300 USD - ~2 000 USD

Neat features I would like: 

• Not sure if I need a dedicated GPU, but light gaming would be an advantage.
  • Portable as I travel a lot.
  • Look good (not anything gaming related)
  • Touch screen would be nice.

I live in Norway so the laptop prices will have a bit of a difference compared to other countries like the US (from what I've seen maybe 20% more in Norway.)

Hopefully, I will get some good responses that will help me decide!

Some of the electronic stores in Norway:

https://www.komplett.no/

https://www.dustinhome.no/

https://www.power.no/

The XPS 9570 looks like a great evolutionary step forward and having owned a XPS 9560 I think it's a great computer for a student that just needs one device.  The 15" infinity display is awesome in either FHD or 4K but I highly recommend going FHD since at least with the 9560 battery life is much better, costs less, and there aren't any refresh/scaling issues.  The included GTX 1050 or optional 1050 Ti will be great for 1080P gaming on medium for most games.  At $1750 for a XPS 9570 with i7 8750H, 16GB, 512GB, FHD display, and GTX 1050 Ti for $1750 (May) is quite the value compared to a current gen Macbook Pro 15" (or presumably next gen), but my issue with the XPS 15 is weight and thickness.  Yes you get a dedicated graphics and that makes up for the thickness, but the 4.5lbs carrying around IMO sucks.  Your usage seems like you could probably get away with a basic ultrabook.  My other issue with the XPS line, but PCs in general is FOMO pricing.  The XPS 15 can range from $1,000 to over $2,000 yet with sales and coupons a couple months, heck a couple weeks after the release of any Dell the computer is hundreds off, not to mention you can score an even better deal if you get one new/refurbished from their Outlet.  My other thought is right now is not the ideal time to buy a Pascal based laptop unless it totally meets your needs for the foreseeable future.  Maybe a GTX 1050/Ti is more than enough, but if you plan on doing anything above that I would wait for the 1100 series or whatever the moniker is.  While the 9570 claims to be over 80% better performing CPU wise, that's only helpful if you actually plan on using all those cores and power.  I think most people could get away with the 7th gen 9560, plus it uses the same GTX 1050, plus a loaded 9560 could be had at maybe half of what you would pay for a comparable 9570.    

SFF Time N-ATX V2 - Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WIFI - AMD Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 4090 - LG C2 OLED 42"