Starter Nas System

Hello everyone! I have just a few questions, because it has been almost a decade since i setup anything resembling a nas. I would like to know 1. which os would be the least to hassle with. 2. To use an old system and placing a few harddrives in it would suffice. 3. if software raid is even a thing. 4. if no software raid just name hard disks to correspond to the people using it...

The pc in mind is a 2014ish hp pavilion with a 2.8 ghz cpu 6gb ddr3, gtx 560 2gb and I can place in, I think, 6 hard drives in it.   I was also thinking of multiuse server like maybe in the future for security(antivirus scanning the networked pcs) and possibly BOINC researching.

If using Windows clients, Windows is the least hassle.  Linux is the cheaper option though.

AV scanning remote drives is not a general thing that is done.  Usually you just run a deep packet inspection firewall/router that can scan incoming traffic for malware/viruses.  AFAIK, Linux is the better option for this too.

Bah, absurd. You can make a NAS out of a Linux or Windows box but why would you? Do you hate your data or something?

The best option is FreeNAS or NAS4Free.

"Only proprietary software vendors want proprietary software." - Dexter's Law